UI themes! preview/public builds BUG hunting REPORTING

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes no problem i just clicked through quickly to see if i saw any strange things

What I also noticed with all other skins and themes is the Speedchecker.asp
It doesn't really fit to all the other color schemes and always looks the same (but I'm not sure if you can change that or if it's all loaded from external sources)

235728579.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.6 KB
 Viewed:  6141 Time(s)

235728579.jpg

Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Any change is hard for some people no matter what.

<interjection>This right here sums up the biggest problem here in this forum. I shall relent from further comment to expound upon that statement.</interjection>

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
yes no problem i just clicked through quickly to see if i saw any strange things

What I also noticed with all other skins and themes is the Speedchecker.asp
It doesn't really fit to all the other color schemes and always looks the same (but I'm not sure if you can change that or if it's all loaded from external sources)

Yes you found the limitation of the built in styles. =) congrats!

You see, places like OID search (when you click on a MAC address), or when you click on an IP and opens up IP lookup, or speedchecker, are external services/sites. As such the CSS is external to DD-WRT.

This problem you discovered does not exist for instance when you use the DD-WRT Inspired themes for routers on my signature, because I'm able to target that CSS easily.

So if this bother you, the solution for the time being is to use the theme on my signature, which is where the Inspired themes came from in the first place. =)

It maybe possible to style these other external sites in the future from DD-WRT, but not now, and until then you have a solution which is far more flexible.

Here's how that looks for me using that with the Ubuntu color scheme.

edit/ added geotool/OID screenshots

Capture.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.36 KB
 Viewed:  6068 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

geotool.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.34 KB
 Viewed:  6068 Time(s)

geotool.PNG

Capture.PNG
 Description:
speedchecker
 Filesize:  63.33 KB
 Viewed:  6107 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
the-joker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 13:42    Post subject: Wifidog hotspot logo. Reply with quote
Hello all.

Regarding Hotspot logos.

One 6 year old ticket/5193 was closed, since the updated hotspot logos have now been merged since the 11 Sep 2021.

However one issue remains.

Wifidog logo when styles are dark is like being welcomed into squint-city.
The better design is either to not include logos, or try to include a lighter version of the wifidog logo for when dark styles are enabled.

To this end and as suggested in ticket, a switch to light wifidog logo when dark themes are enabled patch was submitted, and is awaiting review, as I write this small community update.

Well that's all for now.

Be well. =)

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

the-joker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:44    Post subject: The Byte WARS Reply with quote
Applicable to new builds after DD-WRT v3.0-r47665 std (11/24/21)

The work to optimize the old CSS implementation continues.

This time I had a few nitpicks with the modal progress dialog (when you click apply or initiated a firmware upgrade).

Related changes https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/47681 https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/47692

Essentially a while back I had replaced the spinning gif 3.16 KB with a modern animated SVG that is only 1.48KB , this saved 1.68KB but now Internet explorer users caveat will not see any animation.

I wasn't happy that the modal dialog corners + top/bottom/lef/right sides used more gifs totaling 683 Bytes and the ddwrt.css was yet another 2.5 KB, this was probably another Internet explorer workaround because border-radius was only supported in IE v9

So now the ddwrt.css is 682 Bytes.

For those keeping track of the numbers the current implementation is 3.298 KB vs OLD 6.343 KB somewhere around 3.045 KB savings just on this one small dialog.

Nothing users will notice but it is important to keep things as small as possible IMO.

This war has been waged at several levels and using different techniques, the amount of bytes saved is on the several MB's range and more is still possible.

Obviously DD-WRT uses a very effective compression algorithm which helps a great deal, but algorithms work even better when things are actually optimized to begin with.

The dialog will also be dark when classic themes are dark which was always white before.
And there were other savings inspired themes side, because not so much CSS is needed for this anymore.

Take care.

Capture.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  844 Bytes
 Viewed:  5606 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

the-joker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:35    Post subject: Syslog redone Reply with quote
So to continue with the saga...

After a few failed attempts and with some help from BS the syslog has been redone.

While using Inspired Themes you would see a prettier picture and there were limitations with the classic styles. And I used hackish CSS to try work around the limitations.

This is because like many of the dynamic content pages, iframes were used and all of the CSS was embedded. Now we have separate stylesheets and we can add pretty things like line hovers without breaking anything else.

In coming days, I will further refine the new implementation and remove more hardcoded colors and reuse some classes for the purpose and then optimize the implementation by removing POC CSS duplication.

Other things that have been improved include.

1) Translatable strings for the fieldset legend and string that displays when syslog is not enabled.
2) Removed old embedded HTML empty elements used for padding?!
3) Added logline hover effects

There should be a small issue with top margin for the buttons in Inpired themes, but otherwise it should be stable with DD-WRT v3.0-r47794 std (12/07/21) and bettwer with newer builds.

Take care now, alrightyyy then!!

wut.gif
 Description:
Ruffallo WZR-HP-G300NH nickname the HULK!
 Filesize:  714.99 KB
 Viewed:  5454 Time(s)

wut.gif

egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice!

Is it possible to get the whole log and then simply scroll trough it instead of per page?
(I must admit I usually do: cat /var/log/messages but then miss all the goodies)

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
Is it possible to get the whole log and then simply scroll trough it instead of per page?
(I must admit I usually do: cat /var/log/messages but then miss all the goodies)

x2. I'm pretty sure this is probably something "everyone" wants. We thank you for all your hard work.

----------------------
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
Nice!

Thanks, there was a brief discussion of removing the syslog from the iframe which is in iframe specifically to provide the next/prev functionality. Smile so this is by design.

But Rome wasn't built in a day (like BS says), I would prefer that this is optional rather then either or for various valid UX concerns, tbh my attempts so far to do some work myself are hampered when I dont have time to compile every single change myself, and also C/CGI is not something I'm very familiar with so its mostly trial and error, mostly error =).

I personally think iframes and canvas should be ejected into space in the general direction of the nearest star, both cause issues unless you tell them to use a stylesheet that are not inline/embedded and depending on their usage there are performance issues to consider, mainly where images are concerned like the bandwidth graph which is a dynamic SVG.

Note made, unless someone submits a patch to add this optionally and (set the prev/next buttons to disabled) its not going to be an immediate top of the list, since there are another million things that are blocking responsive design implementation for instance.

Take care now, alrighty then! =)

the-joker

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have recently done a small refactor of all inline HTML regarding centering to use a pre-existing CSS class, one small issue reported by our community member twindragon on the reboot dialog where progress bar was not centered anymore has been addressed post current public release r48810.

This refactor is one of many to help with the many still needed refactors in order to work towards a responsive design and implementations of alternative designs for the UI.

If anyone notices any such centering issues on any platforms please do not hesitate to report them here.

I have also addressed some old legacy themes, like brainslayer/vikar/kromo/xirian recently. However due to the nature of some components being inside iframes, like syslog/bandwidth graphs, its is impossible to target anything contained inside such unless injecting the CSS the same way Inpired themes CSS is being injected, so bare in mind this limitation. It looks awful still IMHO, I dont recommended brainslayer/kromo or vikar and they have reached the limit of what can be done to fix anything further.

Xirian has received more love, because overall this style is maintainable while the others are not, so it will fit better in these areas of syslog/bandwidth and others, even if there are some caveats.

I personally dont see the need to keep brainslayer/kromo/vikar around and if a more lightweight theme would be required for some platforms, it would be better faster and easier do a theme from scratch, so I advocate for this instead of maintaining old broken themes beyond repair from a time standpoint.

I have also updated the external CSS for the OID (Vender MAC address search) Pop up, this uses a external service, and since BS has access to that server it was doable.
The limitation of current implementation for this external site, does NOT support DARK/LIGHT themes to match users config in DD-WRT.

What could be done, perhaps is to query the Browser theme state and set a dark/light according via some media query living on this external server, but this will not work for inspired themes or different colors other than dark light.

I would also remind you that the Standalone DD-WRT inspired themes on my signature, via stylus extension, can target and modify any external CSS on any services, like OID/Speedchecker/IP Searches etc... including any elements inside iframes.

That's it for now.

Last edited by the-joker on Mon May 09, 2022 17:40; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
If nobody else has said it, thank you for your diligent efforts in supporting DD-WRT. The community at large is grateful, regardless of what a few bad apples say.

----------------------
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have to agree. Thank you @the-joker the UI is looking so much cleaner and clearer... even in my small world of useage.
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also agree, the-joker is rocking it. A little overhauling is good sometimes! Thanks!
Now when can we get to updating the forums??? Laughing

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
the-joker

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Forums is a no go, best to be done is fixing issues which I have done.

If you want a modern Forums UI, use the DD-WRT forums standalone style on my signature https://github.com/style-it-themes/dd-wrt-forum-inspired-themes

Same goes for DD-WRT TRAC https://github.com/style-it-themes/dd-wrt-trac-inspired-themes both have been done as standalone, its what I use.

strange
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, I really like the changes that Style-it makes. Thank you the-joker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: