Where is Model ID information stored in DD-WRT source

Goto page Previous  1, 2
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your router has *no* form of DD-WRT on it on stock firmware, whatsoever. Where the heck do you come up with that?

Anyway, if it is proprietary Shaw Cable branded firmware, good luck. It looks as if you need specific header information that we do not have to modify the header. I wonder if it would be easier to modify the information on the device itself if you cannot acquire a firmware image or figure out how to serial in and dump the flash.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Sponsor
dudemanguy0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
What ‘information’ are you talking about? I’m still hopeful in there being some way to flash the router through the terminal and possibly force it to ignore the header. Anyways, this has moved from DD-WRT development discussion to OpenWRT. I might make a post on the OpenWRT forums and if I do I will be sure to link it here in a future edit.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
dudemanguy0 wrote:
What ‘information’ are you talking about?

The first 128 bytes of the stock firmware image, as noted in the information you linked. You aren't even following your own bouncing red ball. Sorry, trying very hard *not* to be rude here. This information may be available elsewhere. Not sure exactly what "version" information the header refers to (firmware, board, what?), region... essentially the first 4 lines (if you are viewing 32 bytes per row) of information when you open the file up in HxD or other hex editor. Wondering if it is the last two bytes of the header or the two bytes after the header that are supposed to be 0xFF or if they mean the absolute end of the firmware image file. (https://gist.github.com/aplocher/7d717925fe00c6602bed)

IRT to backing up your stock firmware, this is of interest:
https://gist.github.com/Mag81/44097d9a54574a5b2ed8#step-42--backup
The partition should likely be whatever "fullflash" is on and should align with the output of cat /proc/mtd and ls /dev | grep mtd, if I am not losing my mind. I guess I didn't see this before and it definitely is not something that registers all the time. I think there are a few ways of retrieving this file as well.

Quote:
Do a quick system backup :

dd if=/dev/mtdblock5 of=/tmp/sysbackup.bin

Copy the file /tmp/sysbackup.bin to a relatively safe place on your PC with something like WinSCP or Filezilla.

Whenever you need to restore the backup you can use the following command :

mtd -r write /tmp/sysbackup.bin firmware

Or you can also use DD-WRTs web GUI to upload and flash sysbackup.bin without the 1337 command line.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: