Intermittent ag71xx-mdio.0:00: Port x is down

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
AbsenteeUser1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 17:07    Post subject: Intermittent ag71xx-mdio.0:00: Port x is down Reply with quote
kern.info kernel: Atheros AR8216/AR8236/AR8316 ag71xx-mdio.0:00: Port 4 is down
kern.info kernel: Atheros AR8216/AR8236/AR8316 ag71xx-mdio.0:00: Port 4 is up

kern.info kernel: Atheros AR8216/AR8236/AR8316 ag71xx-mdio.0:00: Port 0 is down
kern.info kernel: Atheros AR8216/AR8236/AR8316 ag71xx-mdio.0:00: Port 0 is up

The log would have ongoing yet intermittent entries of these each day correlated to the family's internet usage.

It wasn't until I tried an old router (wrt54gl) the problem became apparent. It was a bad cat5e ethernet cable (to the ISP modem). I remade each end and the problem went away. It's like the newer routers were able to compensate slightly and keep the connection up, especially during connectivity tests (eg. ping). But when downloading large files or streaming the port would go down and back up 16 seconds later. The wrt54gl led light wouldn't turn on so that is when I knew.

Just putting this out there in case this happens to anyone else. Or is sent down the wrong path thinking this is related to a problem with wireless connectivity from the Klogd entries.
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: