R9000 Wifi Failure = firmware load issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:
ho1Aetoo wrote:
The chips are also very common in "high-end" hardware.
(ubiquity UAP-AC-HD / Fritzbox 7590)
Sold millions of times and I have never heard that radios die.

That will have its own reasons why there are masses of defective R9000s.

Thats because the UAP-AC-HD DOES NOT have a QCA9984. It instead has a QCA9994.

I do not believe the QCA9984 is at fault here either. That chip is in the R7800 router but I have not seen any reports of wifi failure in these routers.

Cannot say much about the fritzbox 7590 as I cannot find the technical specifications on that router atm.

The Fritzbox has QCA9984

techinfodepot https://bit.ly/3pc1etu

But QCA9984 and QCA9994 are technically and from the features absolutely the same chips...
The QCA9994 is the industrial version of the QCA9984 - according to the data sheet they only differ in the temperature range.
Maybe sellected chips

Last edited by ho1Aetoo on Wed Dec 01, 2021 19:18; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
And the Fritzbox and Ubiquiti are not the R9000. It is an overall design issue. I can send you mine and you can take it apart and see for yourself. It may not necessarily be related to the wifi chips themselves, rather the flash chip. I am fairly certain that what caused mine to tank was lack of proper heat dissipation. I probably could make toast on the heatsink under load. You are comparing different devices and circumstances while touting that the hardware can handle the temperatures.

Furthermore, I will tell you this: The logic circuitry and electronic hardware for certain equipment I used to work was rated above ambient temperatures we actually operated under and guess what? It would glitch and fail at random inside the temperature tolerances all the time. So take that theory and toss it out the window, because lowering ambient temperatures on the electronics is what fixed the issue. IDGAF what the design fault tolerances are on electronics. I could write a short novel on what I have seen fail due to ambient temperatures in an industrial environment where ambient temperatures were within the design tolerance parameters.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your R9000 has never worked, you bought it defective...
Anyone can read the temperatures of the radio chips in the WebIF.
I'm just saying that the temperatures for the chips are no problem.

I have run a 24h stress test on my R7800 in midsummer!, it has sent on the 5ghz radio 24h with ~900Mbit while the temperatures of radio wlan0 went up to 67°C....
These are basically ridiculous values.
My active air cooled QCA9984 card reached 75°C in the same period.
Every not actively cooled MiniPCI express card becomes easily 25°C warmer.
My wle1216v5-20 reaches ~100°C in a very well ventilated case

No need to panic just because the radios in a router reach 50 or 60°C
Massive radio dying in the R9000 rather points to other problems ... Wink

You could try to re-solder the QCA chips...
I would laugh if that doesn't work and something else is defective like the CPU.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
Your R9000 has never worked, you bought it defective...

WRONG. It stopped working after I received it and after I had flashed several DD-WRT firmware versions to it and I revived it TWICE. Nice assumption, though.

Furthermore, for example here, 17.9°C= 64.22000°F, which is colder than ambient in my house during the hottest part of the year here. So, that whole argument is invalid as far as I am concerned. Electronic controls I used to work on were rated for 105°F (40.56°C) - 120°F (48.89°C) ambient and glitched and failed all the time at lower temperatures. I literally had to take optical isolator logic cards and pack them in dry ice and then bring them back to ambient temperature in the shop to reset them so they would work. Older controls with non IC logic cards were not nearly as prone to these issues.

This is a specific issue with the overall design implementation of the R9000 / XR700 SoC related to heat dissipation and hardware failure.

----------------------
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I was wrong and BS is right, 5ghz died and not 2.4....

The puzzle deepens and starts making more sense...I think I know where this is all going to shit...

The R7800 has passive antenna's which means the PCB has dedicated hardware&amps directly on the main mobo for BOTH radios...

The R9000, meanwhile, has active antenna's and no amps on the main mobo. There's no physical space left on this mobo to put the array of filters & amps on the main mobo, as they did on the 2.4ghz radio on the bottom section. So, Netgear off-loaded it to the antenna's in order to save space. That means that two connectors per each antenna must have DC power going on it in addition to the actual 2.4 & 5ghz signal.

All 4 antennas appear to get all their power through the tiny u.fl connector. there is no other wiring, otherwise. I am wondering if this is the shit design point of the whole thing?!!!!

Somehow it must be what causes the 5ghz to fail...I had the LED's all off from day one on the router- so, the extra power the antenna leds would pull, should not be the issue...there must be something else that's going on with the amps "pulling" too much power, but I am now much more convinced it's the active antenna design that is contributing to the failure.

CONDUCTORS tend to INCREASE their resistance with an increase in temperature. We all know this router runs warm and GIANT heatsinks were put in place...

So, the heat inside raises the wire temperature which in turn will increase resistance in the wires which will cause the amps to go low- if the voltage stays constant. Low power conditions on chips is what kills chips (I learned that from MSOE & ROCKWELL/ABB).

The real kicker is that two sets of the 2.4ghz wires (4 wires) run, squeezed, between the heatsinks. those wires must be heating the surrounding 5ghz wires that go to the two left antenna's (when looking from the front side of the assembled router), AND those are the longest run wires for 5ghz to boot which further contributes to IR losses....

I guess the real learning lesson here is to avoid ANY router that uses active antenna's that rely on the tiny u.fl connector to get their power for the active components in the amps.

If anyone else has other insights, let me know. I am open.

That said, I really don't think there is anything that can be done to repair the board in a cost effective way. Maybe a new QCA9984 chip would fix it...I have no idea. But, I've watched enough Louis Rossmann repair videos to know that there could be other cheap components responsible for supplying power to the chipset which could be a contributing factor. Without any schematics and more specialized equipment, I can't ever be sure where to start.

But, for now, I will blame the active antenna design as a contributing factor and poor cable management. All the wires should have run under the board on the much cooler side of the router.

This link shows off the 2.4ghz area
https://i2.kknews.cc/SIG=16o53hg/141r0001roq5s5s63rqp.jpg

Here is a full disassembly done in china of the R9000 that gets into some serious detail:
https://kknews.cc/zh-tw/digital/zm96b9g.html

and this is a translation into english but google won't load the photos for some reason...
https://kknews-cc.translate.goog/zh-tw/digital/zm96b9g.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)

Last edited by msoengineer on Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:52; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
This does explain a lot. I'm still curious as to what is between the chips and the RF shields, though. That link I sent you likely denied you (I just checked my bookmark of it), but it originated here: https://fcc.io/PY3/16200339

I am curious what is on the underside of the RF shields. I would hope it is a conductive material that transfers heat. I am game for any way to remove the antennas and bits and pieces for the wireless and have a strictly ethernet router firmware image.

FFR: If I buy another R9000 or an XR700, it will be gone through and have the wiring routed better and the gratuitous fingers crossed, among other things Wink Cool Rolling Eyes

----------------------
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
They use gray thermal pads to transfer the heat to the heat shields which then transfer the heat to the heat sinks.

There are also gray thermal pads underneath that attach to a giant, nearly whole mobo size, black plate. There were 4 pads on my plate, vs the three pads in the FCC photos...
Two for the QCA radios and one for the main cpu. The 4th one on mine seems to be under the 60ghz radio chip.

The wires are too short to be routed any other way... you would need to order separate wires and run things yourself.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R7800] resting
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which I think the antenna ends on these are soldered on, fun. What a pain in the ass. I may get industrious and tear into mine. It would be awesome if it were just a matter of replacing the antenna wires.

----------------------
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
For sure it's not as easy as replacing the wires...

my hunch is that either the 9984 5g chip is fried or the power rail and supporting power rail components have failed due to be driven too hard.

That's just a hunch, though....

We'll see where this leads. I am still trying some things behind the scenes with folks in the industry...

I've already wasted more time on this than the stupid thing is worth when it's working...

I may try to load the kong build that allegedly works with bunked radios and see if I can turn off 5ghz to get the router running again, at least on 2.4ghz...

[R7800] resting
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
i can confirm kong's last build will flash on mine as well as stock fw but not found a bs build that flashes, radios down on mine also. not sure if this will help from some time ago when i was attempting to get bs build on to it.

i have uploaded the text file/putty serial output from an attempt to tftp flash r45677 factory-to-ddwrt.img to my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4b1el07t0il2nu/not_accepting-f-2-ddwrt-r9000.txt?dl=0

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
foz111 wrote:
i can confirm kong's last build will flash on mine as well as stock fw but not found a bs build that flashes, radios down on mine also. not sure if this will help from some time ago when i was attempting to get bs build on to it.

i have uploaded the text file/putty serial output from an attempt to tftp flash r45677 factory-to-ddwrt.img to my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4b1el07t0il2nu/not_accepting-f-2-ddwrt-r9000.txt?dl=0

Interesting witch last Kong build do you have for the R9000 ?

I ve only Kong's factory-to-ddwrt...do you have the web flash too ?

I also did try the BS factory but was not working...so i did Kong for initial flash and than moved to the last BS build...
For the record my present R9000 x2 radios are ok...but im using only 2,4Ghz as i never had a need for 5Ghz..as my ISP has never been more than 200Mbit...

it would be nice if BS makes a recent build with no radio check, so this unit could be used with faulty radios too...it seams those are doomed by design (designed to break)...the other thing that generates lot's of heath is the SFP unit...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
This was the thread you helped me with Alozaros along with kong factory-to-ddwrt.img fw you linked in post #2 [url] https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=328048 [/url] sorry no webupgrade.bin file stored on pc, from memory i couldn't upgrade to bs build from kong, flash completes fine from memory but fails to boot up, i cant even ping it but then flash back to stock via TFTP and back working again minus radios obviously.

It would be great if BS could provide an up to date build that would boot with broken radios, be very handy to run a vpn on especially if the cpu could be clocked @ 2.0Ghz.

Alozaros wrote:
foz111 wrote:

Interesting witch last Kong build do you have for the R9000 ?

I ve only Kong's factory-to-ddwrt...do you have the web flash too ?

I also did try the BS factory but was not working...so i did Kong for initial flash and than moved to the last BS build...
For the record my present R9000 x2 radios are ok...but im using only 2,4Ghz as i never had a need for 5Ghz..as my ISP has never been more than 200Mbit...

it would be nice if BS makes a recent build with no radio check, so this unit could be used with faulty radios too...it seams those are doomed by design (designed to break)...the other thing that generates lot's of heath is the SFP unit...

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: