Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have seen it on older Broadcom MIPS routers, when they reboot there is a tiny window where the switch is open but never on other routers and when the router is running (on its own subnet in gateway mode with intact firewall) it "should" be impossible.

Then again I am long enough in this business to know that impossible does not exist Smile

The ingenuity of users never stops to amaze me Laughing

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
IMO simple, whatever this google router is or its purpose on the network would be nice to know, but, essentially make it provide WAN to the dd-wrt router and/or disable all DHCP on the google router side... Essentially turning it into a glorified modem of sorts with no other purpose.

When I was living in the UK with the Virgin Media SuperHub big pile of rubbish, just disabled the router functions 100%, essentially just using the modem side, pretty sure with a few clicks similar things can be achieved on this, google thinga-me-jig with whirly gigs.

Take care.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
burgess85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
IMO simple, whatever this google router is or its purpose on the network would be nice to know, but, essentially make it provide WAN to the dd-wrt router and/or disable all DHCP on the google router side... Essentially turning it into a glorified modem of sorts with no other purpose.

When I was living in the UK with the Virgin Media SuperHub rubbish pile of rubbish, just disabled the router functions 100%, essentially just using the modem side, pretty sure with a few clicks similar things can be achieved on this, google thinga-me-jig with whirly gigs.

Take care.

The Google router is my main router and the ddwrt is used a VPN only router.
the-joker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
IMO wrong setup, you will always find clients on the network grabbing IP's from the google router DHCP.

You could solve this with different non bridged subnets where the LAN machines on the dd-wrt side are in this different subnet. Making it impossible for them to communicate with the google router and only acknowledge the dd-wrt router DHCP and WAN connection.

For my money it would be simpler to ask the DD-WRT router to be the only DHCP server while the google router just does the absolute minimum.

But up to you how you go around it,its possible, plenty of how-tos on non-bridged Lans/Wlan's here. And the optional open a window and chuck the google router into a burning fire. Wink

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

burgess85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
IMO wrong setup, you will always find clients on the network grabbing IP's from the google router DHCP.

You could solve this with different non bridged subnets where the LAN machines on the dd-wrt side are in this different subnet. Making it impossible for them to communicate with the google router and only acknowledge the dd-wrt router DHCP and WAN connection.

For my money it would be simpler to ask the DD-WRT router to be the only DHCP server while the google router just does the absolute minimum.

But up to you how you go around it,its possible, plenty of how-tos on non-bridged Lans/Wlan's here. And the optional open a window and chuck the google router into a burning fire. Wink

But the ddwrt router is on a different IP range so surely wouldn't pick up a IP range from a router it isn't connected to?
burgess85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
DDwrt is on 192.168.200. and Google router is on 192.168.86.
the-joker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
If any of your dd-wrt lan/wlan clients can ping 192.168.86, then its moot.

IMO, disable the google router DHCP, or ensure that when dd-wrt router is down that its clients cannot get any IP's from the Google router.

burgess85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
If any of your dd-wrt lan/wlan clients can ping 192.168.86, then its moot.

IMO, disable the google router DHCP, or ensure that when dd-wrt router is down that its clients cannot get any IP's from the Google router.

I cannot ping a 192.168.86. address from a client connected to the ddwrt router
the-joker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then try to disable the google router DHCP to prevent it assigning IP's to any LAN connected machines, except the dd-wrt router.

Take care and enjoy what remains of Sunday =)

burgess85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Then try to disable the google router DHCP to prevent it assigning IP's to any LAN connected machines, except the dd-wrt router.

Take care and enjoy what remains of Sunday =)

But the Google router is my main router?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set up reserved leases in the Google router, limit it by MAC address to assigned clients and only in the limited DHCP range. If you want guests to use the Google router, set up a guest wifi on it, if applicable. If you want clients to be able to connect to both routers, that is where your trouble will be.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
burgess85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
But guessing how I have setup there should be no reason the ddwrt router should be giving the Google router IP range to ddwrt Lan clients?
burgess85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also does this look correct?
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: