Linksys WRT160N v1 update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
rfarinha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 17:11    Post subject: Linksys WRT160N v1 update Reply with quote
Hi,
I've been updating my Linksys routers to newest dd-wrt version and now it comes to the WRT160N v1.
I was running r14929_v24_std_generic and have passed to r47581_v24_mini_generic without issues. Then, when installing r47581_v24_std_generic the router was bricked.
After unbricking, I've notice that the r47581_v24_std_generic size it's over the recommended 3.6875KB for this model (I seem to have read this somewhere).
Further checking indicated that the last "good size" v24_std_generic file is at r45130.
I'm divided between having a newest mini_std version or an "older" std_generic version. From Wiki, it seems that most of the "extra" futures don't have major "impact".
Any comments on this to support a decision ?
Regards.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
47581 std_generic is only 3821568 bytes. The v1 firmware image size limit is 3866624 bytes. Something tells me that either the flash wasn't performed properly or the firmware image is "broken". Did you try 47618? Did you try the std_special_generic.bin file?

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT150N_%26_WRT160N

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
rfarinha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
Thank you for your feedback. I've tried again r47581_v24_std_generic and after the successful upload the screen just stays black. I've waited 10min and refresh and it was OK. Never happen with any other build that I've tested.
Does the v24_std_generic allow the "Assign WAN to LAN" feature ?
It doesn't seem to have the Switch Config tab and when I put WAN Connection Type = Disable at Setup\Basic Setup I get WAN Port Assignment = eth1 at Setup\Networking. If I change to Disable and apply Save it just reverts to eth1.
Regards.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
The "Assign WAN port to switch" feature is no longer there and may not be required. Current release is 47618:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=330623

Please read the OP of the build threads. Your device should have the switch config tab. You may have to refresh or use CTRL+F5 or manually clear your browser cache. If none of that works, then the only thing I can think of is a possible nvram variable missing issue. Check the following via telnet/ssh:
Code:
nvram show | grep dist_type

If the following does not come up as a result,
Code:
dist_type=std

then do this and see if the switch config page returns:
Code:
nvram set dist_type=std
nvram commit
reboot

----------------------
rfarinha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
I've followed your indications and no changes (the router was already indicating dist_type=std). Still no Switch Config tab available at the v24_generic_std. Could it be like this for v24_generic_std ?
But what puzzles me the most is that I was expecting that once put "WAN Connection Type = Disable" at Setup\Basic Setup the same should occur in "WAN Port Assignment" at Setup\Networking. Instead, its assigned to eth1 and displaying a completely different MAC address than the one from the Router. If I force "WAN Port Assignment = Disable", when I press Save it reverts to eth1.
Any other suggestion ?
Regards.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
So no switch config tab after upgrading firmware, clearing browser cache and checking nvram variable. Must be something I am missing. I don't have this device in hand to look and see what might be wrong here. Did you do a hard reset on this router (30/30/30 or 'nvram erase and reboot')?

----------------------
rfarinha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
Initially just the nvram erase and reboot. Using Telnet, and even getting the dist_type=std, I've performed still nvram set dist_type=std; nvram commit; reboot.
In the meantime, I've also forced the completely different MAC at eth1 to the same Router MAC in eth0 and hard reset was really required. After that its now assuming MAC eth1=MAC eth0 (seems to make sense) but still no Switch Config tab.
Just for curiosity, at WRT320N using v3.0_mega I've for the WAN Port Assignment options: Disable, eth0, eth1, vlan1 and br0 (with wireless OFF). For WRT160N v1, using v24_std_generic I've: Disable (not accessible), eth0, eth1, eth2 and br0 (also with wireless OFF). Could be OK but I find it strange having eth2 in one side and vlan1 on the other side.
Regards.
rfarinha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
Just updated the WRT160N v1 from r47581 v24_generic_std to r47618 v24_generic_std and the issue remains. No Setup/Switch Config tab and no way to make WAN Port Assignment = Disable at Setup/Networking tab. If choosing Disable and then save, it reverts to eth1.
Is there any way to enforce WAN disable ? (Wan Connection Type is disabled at Setup/Basic Setup tab.)
Regards.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
This device may no longer have a switch config tab due to recent changes. I will have to inquire with the developer. I also do not know if this device has swconfig utility support, but you could try doing a 'which swconfig' via telnet/ssh and if it shows that is it present, you can try a 'swconfig list' and whatever device(s) show up, you can do a 'swconfig (device) show' to see what the configuration is.

----------------------
rfarinha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
I've tried 'which swconfig' and I don't get nothing. I've also tried 'swconfig list' and 'swconfig dev eth0 show' but the answer is always '-sh: swconfig: not found'.
Does this mean that swconfig is not supported or shoud I run another command previously to these ones ?
Regards.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then swconfig is not included and these devices do not support it. If you don't have a switch config tab, then it's just not there, apparently. Not sure if the firmware images are broken or what.

----------------------
fragtion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump?
I also tried updating my WRT160N v1. I tried using the latest mini build on the router database (the default selection one on the page), and it bricked my router. Then I tried to TFTP the same mini build and got a tftp 1024 error (code pattern incorrect). So i tried the micro build. Same issue. It seems these builds, while listed, are problematic and will brick the router.

What is the latest safe build to use for these routers?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another case of caveat emptor, and the reason why there is a disclaimer on the router database landing page (although some feedback has determined that the disclaimer is ill-placed and should be at the top, not the bottom of the text). It doesn't seem that anyone in the community at large is reporting in the build threads for this router, which is unfortunate. It is always advised to use the most recent from the download server(s) - which is 47665 at present:

https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/11-24-2021-r47665/broadcom/

If there is an issue loading that one, you can work your way backwards until you find one that works. Just be sure to check the broadcom folder under each build top directory.

All Official download server links:

https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/
https://dd-wrt.com/support/other-downloads/?path=betas/
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/

Whichever build you do wind up flashing, please consider helping the community at large by reporting in the appropriate Broadcom build release thread.

----------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: