[SOLVED] Win reinstall compaq presario CQ60 WiFi problems.

royitoroy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 15:07    Post subject: [SOLVED] Win reinstall compaq presario CQ60 WiFi problems. Reply with quote
I have an old laptop compaq presario CQ60 that I use only to record entries and balances of products in my warehouse and I had always used it well without problems, but now the format to clean it and the wifi no longer connects neither in 5 nor 2ghz, only wired via lan port and with a wifi device ... it's weird ... it doesn't connect to the wifi of my cell phone but I realized that if I remove the password security on my cell phone if it connects ...

so i removed the password to my wifi network just to test and it won't connect either ...

so I rebooted my router to factory (netgear R900) and there if I connected at 2 and 5 ghz ...

I will reload the backup of my mainrouter again but surely the laptop will disconnect ... what could be preventing the laptop from connecting?

Fiber Modem/Router: ZTE-ZXHN F670L ►►►►►► Internet 1
2G,3G,4G Modem: Amplimax FIT Elsys EPRL18 ►► Internet 2
(failover)

MAINROUTER:
Raspberry PI 4 ►► OpenWrt 19.07.8

Load Balancer, Failover, Vlans, QoS, DHCP.

AP 1:
NETGEAR NIGTHAWK R9000 ►► DD-WRT v3.0-r47510 std

Vanilla, 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, WPA2, Sharing USB Printer, Wired OpenMediaVault Data Server.
AP 2:
TP-LINK ARCHER AC1750 C7 v2 ►► DD-WRT v3.0-r47225 std
AP 3 & 4
TP-LINK ARCHER AC1750 A7 v5.6 ►► DD-WRT v3.0-r47282 std

Tutorials & WikisDownload FirmwaresBest Wifi SettingsComplete Guide Wifi
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is not a specific question related to DD-WRT in here...

But my thoughts would be make sure that the drivers are updated on the machine... and ensure that there are not typos or things like that...

Otherwise it could be band or wifi-settings... ie you updated to n only and the system only has a/g, or there are settings of the wifi network that you lost such as WPA version or HT 20/40
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which CQ60, specifically? If you did a complete factory reset / restore via whatever means, any driver updates or BIOS updates may have been completely removed and you will need to re-update *everything*. I just went through this with several proprietary PCs and laptops recently.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Compaq-Presario-CQ60-Series.14970.0.html

If the thing is running XP or 7, hopefully you have a means to run Windows Update again.

Wildlion wrote:
There is not a specific question related to DD-WRT in here...

It really doesn't matter much anymore about this. The overall atmosphere of this forum needs to change.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
royitoroy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I forgot to say my MAINROUTER is a NETGEAR NIGTHAWK R9000 --> DD-WRT v3.0-r47510 std
WAN, Gateway, DHCP, Vanilla, 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, WPA2, Sharing USB Printer, QoS, 1gbps Wired NAS Server, Entware: Zerotier, Mc

and I'm reconfiguring it from 0 to see where the error is,

by the way the laptop drivers are all updated ...

(failover)

MAINROUTER:

AP 1:

Vanilla, 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, WPA2, Sharing USB Printer, Wired OpenMediaVault Data Server.
AP 2:
AP 3 & 4

the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
royitoroy wrote:

I dont think this is a router issue, but its always interesting to know where you got the drivers for the laptops WIFI radios from, neither anything on CD's or manufacturers site is usually what I call updated.

What what OS did you install, version etc.

Also disable WiFi if you want to connect via LAN port, or Disconnect the LAN port cable when you want to use WiFi.

Please give us more information like the drivers and divers versions and OS type and OS version installed. Just descriptions of the issue is not good enough.

Also what WiFi radios this has, versions etc.

Thanks in advance.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
royitoroy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
royitoroy wrote:

I dont think this is a router issue, but its always interesting to know where you got the drivers for the laptops WIFI radios from, neither anything on CD's or manufacturers site is usually what I call updated.

What what OS did you install, version etc.

Also disable WiFi if you want to connect via LAN port, or Disconnect the LAN port cable when you want to use WiFi.

Please give us more information like the drivers and divers versions and OS type and OS version installed. Just descriptions of the issue is not good enough.

Also what WiFi radios this has, versions etc.

Thanks in advance.

i install win7 profesional build-7601 serpak 1
ok 1st use as always the orbit driver software, and when seeing what happened the format again and install official drivers from the hp page ... it is weird but now I am configuring the router from 0 and it seems that it is connecting well. .. I will continue to inform

(failover)

MAINROUTER:

AP 1:

AP 2:
AP 3 & 4

royitoroy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok I have redone all the configuration of my MAINROUTER and now that laptops connects without problems ... apparently the problem was that when placing the wireless network mode of the 5ghz network in AC / N-mixed, the laptop no longer connected to the 5ghz network ... however the 2ghz network is exactly the same and now yes! it connects without major problem ...: Shocked Confused I don't understand why before not and now that I made it from 0 with the same values ​​now connects ... anyway...

I would like you to help me because when resetting my mAinROuteR the QoS settings were erased and there are some that I don't remember from which thread I got it and apparently they worked but I no longer remember them ...

I put the capture to see if they recognize them and give me the data of where to redo them ok

eso en services properties

(failover)

MAINROUTER:

AP 1:

AP 2:
AP 3 & 4

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
royitoroy wrote:
ok 1st use as always the orbit driver software, and when seeing what happened the format again and install official drivers from the hp page ... it is weird but now I am configuring the router from 0 and it seems that it is connecting well. .. I will continue to inform

You should look at the wifi adapter properties in device manager and go to the wifi adapter manufacturer website, not the laptop manufacturer website, and for Pete's sake, don't use some 3rd party driver updater crap. You are just asking for problems.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
royitoroy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
royitoroy wrote:

You should look at the wifi adapter properties in device manager and go to the wifi adapter manufacturer website, not the laptop manufacturer website, and for Pete's sake, don't use some 3rd party driver updater crap. You are just asking for problems.

ok yeah i better gonna to search in the manufacter site, im always using this drivers soft but this time aparently it didnt a good job...

(failover)

MAINROUTER:

AP 1:

AP 2:
AP 3 & 4

the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
royitoroy wrote:
ok yeah i better gonna to search in the manufacter site, im always using this drivers soft but this time aparently it didnt a good job...

As I already said earlier, manufacturers website or CD's is not what I consider up-to-date anything drivers wise except for the BIOS updates adn even then, for old machines like yours, I usually update the bios images with newer modules and microcode updates (if the laptop does not support coreboot as a bios replacement).

Unless for instance there are some OEM modifications to some devices required for something to work, and in that case, what I usually do, is modify the drivers inf files to include such tweaks so whatever machine I'm reconfiguration from scratch can benefit of such drivers bug fixes/latest code.

Caveat emptor, there are plenty more specialized communities for this task like https://www.win-raid.com, and I thoroughly recommend them when one is trying to learn new tricks like drivers/bios customization, they have a really great and knowledgeable community members.

In any case mostly I go off to Intel to get Intel drivers, or whichever brand own sites, a good source of up to date drivers is https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx because I disable in all Windows I configure driver updates, since more often than not, they break more than they fix.

So consider those nuggets and have a nice day.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

royitoroy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
royitoroy wrote:

As I already said earlier, manufacturers website or CD's is not what I consider up-to-date anything drivers wise except for the BIOS updates adn even then, for old machines like yours, I usually update the bios images with newer modules and microcode updates (if the laptop does not support coreboot as a bios replacement).

Unless for instance there are some OEM modifications to some devices required for something to work, and in that case, what I usually do, is modify the drivers inf files to include such tweaks so whatever machine I'm reconfiguration from scratch can benefit of such drivers bug fixes/latest code.

Caveat emptor, there are plenty more specialized communities for this task like https://www.win-raid.com, and I thoroughly recommend them when one is trying to learn new tricks like drivers/bios customization, they have a really great and knowledgeable community members.

In any case mostly I go off to Intel to get Intel drivers, or whichever brand own sites, a good source of up to date drivers is https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx because I disable in all Windows I configure driver updates, since more often than not, they break more than they fix.

So consider those nuggets and have a nice day.

I have never updated the bios of an old machine like this, only of machines newer than the new bios you download it from its page and install itself ... but in this I have no idea ... I tried to do it but I went to the Page that told me AIDA64 but I didn't even see where to look to download the 'new' bios and I left ... Crying or Very sad but now it seems to be working well hehe... however I will go through your links to see what I can learn Wink

(failover)

MAINROUTER:

AP 1:

AP 2:
AP 3 & 4

the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well glad the issue is solved, will mark thread as such.

As for more advanced tasks as I mentioned, I only recommend it if you are conformable with the idea that if anything goes wrong, you can take the laptop apart and re-flash the BIOS with a SPI programmer, maybe even de-soldering the BIOS chip,reflashing and putting it back.

You certainly dont have to do ANY of what I said, I mentioned it as a curiosity and something to learn if you are interested in learning.

Since your laptop is now working an you use it for stock control, my final words are;
If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

See you around =)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: