[SOLVED]DNS leaks as secondary router, but not as primary

mpouls1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 0:03    Post subject: [SOLVED]DNS leaks as secondary router, but not as primary Reply with quote
I have an R7000 that I use as a secondary router running NordVPN as OpenVPN client with dd-wrt. I'm running DD-WRT v3.0-r47596 std (10/25/21). There are no leaks when used as a primary router checking with DNS leak test.

However, when I connect the R7000 to my new primary router, ASUS RT-AX88U (OEM firmware) that I set up today and connect to R7000 and check with DNS leak test I get both ISP and NordVPN servers showing. I don't remember having this problem when I was using my Linksys, however I'm a novice and have spent a lot of time trouble shooting and can't seem to figure this out. There are no RTC peer connection leaks either. Is this normal? Thanks in advance!

Edit: After doing some more research, I want the secondary router to be a WAP w/VPN so I will try setting my gateway and local DNS to primary router and see if that works, and disable WAN and DHCP. I will report back.

I didn't have to do this with my previous set-up, so this is new to me.

Edit 2: I tried the above and it did not work. So I reset the R7000 router, entered basic settings and openvpn settings according to sticky, and now it works with no DNS leaks. The only setting I changed was Query DNS in Strict Order to "enabled" instead of "disabled." If it is checked disabled then I get the leaks.

So, issue has been resolved.

- DD-WRT v3.0-r47596 std (10/25/21)
- NordVPN
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: