WRT3200ACM Client Mode - Join and lock to a BSSID

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
HalpMe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 16:22    Post subject: WRT3200ACM Client Mode - Join and lock to a BSSID Reply with quote
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r47618 std (11/05/21)
Linksys WRT3200ACM

Hi, I'm trying to stop my Client Mode router from roaming between access points that are using the same SSID.

I've tried both MAC Filter modes (Prevent/Permit) but I still see the Client Mode router connecting to the unwanted BSSID.

There is a solution to this for Atheros devices, but what about for the Linksys WRT3200ACM?
Sponsor
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 18:37    Post subject: Re: WRT3200ACM Client Mode - Join and lock to a BSSID Reply with quote
HalpMe wrote:
There is a solution to this for Atheros devices, but what about for the Linksys WRT3200ACM?

and the solution does not work?
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 3200 uses Atheros wifi tech.

Can you not just set the client-mode interface to the channel of he desired AP? That has always worked for me.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
HalpMe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
Can you not just set the client-mode interface to the channel of he desired AP? That has always worked for me.

Unfortunately I'm using wlan0 [5GHz/802.11ac] to connect to this AP because 2.4 GHz doesn't detect it, and the only settings related to channels that I can change are the following:

Channel Width:
- Full (20 MHz)
- Dynamic (20/40 MHz)
- Wide (40 MHz)
- VHT80 (80 MHz)
- VHT160 (160 MHz)

Allow Channel Overlapping: <Enable/Disable>

According to the Site Survey, the AP I'm trying to connect to is using channel 149 and the rate is showing 1300(a/n/ac).
Is there a setting I should change?

ho1Aetoo wrote:
and the solution does not work?
Prior to SurprisedItWorks' post, I didn't know that the Linksys WRT3200ACM uses Atheros.
I found this Atheros solution but I don't know how safe it is to use and if it's even reversible:
Ameir Abdeldayem wrote:
In Administration -> Commands , save the following as a startup script (don’t forget to change the BSSID!).

Code:
bssid="AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF"

until pidof "wpa_supplicant"; do
echo "waiting for wpa_supplicant to start..."
sleep 3
done
sed -i "3ibssid=$bssid" /tmp/ath0_wpa_supplicant.conf
kill -HUP $(pidof "wpa_supplicant")

Is it safe to use?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Marvell doesn't use Atheros anything. The ATH naming of interfaces was a blind carryover, I suspect. There seems to be a lot of misinformation or misinterpreted information on this forum - which is probably why the wireless interfaces were renamed on both Marvell and Ralink/MediaTek.

You cannot change channels in Client modes that I am aware of. All you can do is try employing that script.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
HalpMe wrote:
Prior to SurprisedItWorks' post, I didn't know that the Linksys WRT3200ACM uses Atheros.
I found this Atheros solution but I don't know how safe it is to use and if it's even reversible:
Ameir Abdeldayem wrote:
In Administration -> Commands , save the following as a startup script (don’t forget to change the BSSID!).

Code:
bssid="AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF"

until pidof "wpa_supplicant"; do
echo "waiting for wpa_supplicant to start..."
sleep 3
done
sed -i "3ibssid=$bssid" /tmp/ath0_wpa_supplicant.conf
kill -HUP $(pidof "wpa_supplicant")

Is it safe to use?

just try it out?

but I think he might insert the BSSID in the wrong place
also the script might cause problems when executed in WebIF (Tab > Administration > Command)

You can also try this script, it also works in the command box

Code:
`sed -i $'/network={/a \\\\\tbssid=00:11:22:33:44:55' /tmp/wlan0_wpa_supplicant.conf`
kill -HUP "$(pidof "wpa_supplicant")"

As I said, add the script in the Administration > Command tab as a startup and reboot the router then it should connect to the correct AP.

But it will be overwritten if you restart the WLAN in WebIF.
But you can also execute it manually in the tab "commands"

Last edited by ho1Aetoo on Sat Nov 13, 2021 20:02; edited 1 time in total
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Marvell doesn't use Atheros anything. The ATH naming of interfaces was a blind carryover, I suspect. There seems to be a lot of misinformation or misinterpreted information on this forum - which is probably why the wireless interfaces were renamed on both Marvell and Ralink/MediaTek.

You cannot change channels in Client modes that I am aware of. All you can do is try employing that script.

Many thanks for stepping in there. Hate to lead the new folks astray. I had to boot up my client-mode router to check re the channel, but of course you are quite right. My old neurons had forgotten since I last used that router in a multi-AP environment pre-pandemic!

And that's interesting re Atheros. I got taken in by all those years of our interfaces being ath0 and ath1. I knew they were Marvell chips, but I assumed some licensing thing.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Of course, no disrespect intended, sir. It just seems the Marvell folks want to ass-u-me things and I have mostly relented to letting them figure out their own misconceptions and why they have problems, especially with wifi.

I haven't received a response to my PM, but hoping that I will have a WRT1900ACS to tinker with soon enough.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: