flashed WNDR3700 v3, locked out of GUI after hard reseet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Was this with a cleared cache or refreshing the page via CTRL+F5 or applicable method for Linux / Mac?
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Sponsor
darussiaman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, I didn't do any of those, but after seeing your post I checked it by connecting to that SSID from wl1 and using that same p/w that I set before doing "Restore Factory Defaults", and yes, I was able to connect to it. I did the "Restore Factory Defaults" again on another build, and it looked like I was getting the same behavior: that certain settings were left intact, including the wl1 settings in the security section.

Anyway, when I first tried to set up and use build 47495 on the heels of this whole "sorta-bricked" mess, I had another problem: for some reason the 5 GHz radio was way weaker than the 2.4 GHz one, like it was practically dead. Screenshot is below. I followed the "BCM Best Wifi Settings" post but didn't do much. I tried flashing two other builds, 44715, and 37305, and I was getting the same results. Finally, I tried doing another "Restore Factory Defaults" through the interface, and after I did that, the 5 GHz radio became normal. Second screenshot also attached (this was on 37305 and before optimizing the wireless settings according to the guide). So then I went back to 47495, and the radios are still normal. Optimized the settings according to "BCM Best Wifi Settings" post and radios are still normal.

.... Again, I don't get it. This seems so random. Why was the radio not cooperating for no apparent reason, and then started working properly just because I did a reset through the GUI? This whole process has caused me so much misery.

Anyway, thanks a ton for the help!

build 47495 mega bands comparison.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.14 KB
 Viewed:  1175 Time(s)

build 47495 mega bands comparison.png

build 37305 mega bands comparison.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.89 KB
 Viewed:  1175 Time(s)

build 37305  mega bands comparison.png

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad it's decided to settle out and play nice. There are plenty of ongoing developments that could be a contributing factor, but at least for now, you are on the right track. Always happy to help, if I can.

----------------------
darussiaman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looking back, I'm angry at this damn peacock thread. It's giving misinformation at this point. But it's still linked to in the wiki pages and stickies. Turns out, even Brainslayer himself said that resets are not recommended in 2018. (Of course I only came across that post after my problem started and was resolved. Typical.) It's now 2021. Why's there all this outdated and actually destructive info still up?

Source: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1127454#1127454

post.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.34 KB
 Viewed:  1150 Time(s)

post.png

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately, some changes in nvram variables do require a reset sometimes. Because if the nvram variable exists already, it can't necessarily be overwritten on boot-up. Prime example is the implementation of swconfig on Broadcom.

----------------------
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Exactly, although care is taken that everything is backwards compatible unfortunately it is not always the case Sad

So yes a reset is sometimes required

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
darussiaman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sure, that's not the thing that bothers me. What bothers me is that the wiki pages and the peacock thread don't say it like that at all. Instead, the info given is that you HAVE TO DO A HARD RESET EVERY TIME BEFORE AND AFTER FLASH! That's the message that I got out of it. Which is completely different from saying that most of the time it's not necessary but occasionally you gotta do it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
And this is why I chose to un-sticky the Peacock Thread as it is historical information and does and doesn't apply.

----------------------
darussiaman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
And this is why I chose to un-sticky the Peacock Thread as it is historical information and does and doesn't apply.

Oh I see. I'm sorry, I don't mean to argue; I just want to give constructive feedback if that's alright with you guys.

I just think that removing it as a sticky doesn't help that much on its own because other places still heavily emphasize it and link directly to it--meaning, it makes it sound like that thread is important to read and its instructions need to be followed. So a person who's new to this project or just hasn't been following all the developments will end up being directed there anyway, and I think it's quite likely that such a person will get the impression that this is the most authoritative set of instructions. Therefore, I believe the wiki pages and other places would need to be edited as well. For example, this is from the installation wiki--screenshot attached. Also, the "STOP! IMPORTANT- READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!" announcement at the top of this forum links to it as well. Certainly, I'm not saying that all references to it should be removed; I just feel that the wording around other places that reference it should be changed to reflect that it's historical info, as you say.

installation wiki.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.59 KB
 Viewed:  1074 Time(s)

installation wiki.png

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, one of several posts that people don't read before posting still references it. I was in the process of cleaning things up and now cannot copy and paste already-written edits, or fix the stickies and announcements. This is why I also edited other posts to become Readme-FAQs to change the climate and tone of the forums as that was the end goal. I still have wiki access, but it is what it is at this point. I have about a dozen wikis I am in the process of reviewing....

----------------------
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: