WNDR3700 v3 -- K2.6 vs K3.X builds? Upgrading from old build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
darussiaman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:31    Post subject: WNDR3700 v3 -- K2.6 vs K3.X builds? Upgrading from old build Reply with quote
Hello. My old Netgear WNDR3700 v3 currently has DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/08/12) big - build 19342 on it. So I figure I should upgrade.

I've read the peacock thread and did a search for other threads about this router version, but haven't yet settled on which build to pick. Both the peacock thread and this one, "WHERE DO I FIND THE BEST BUILD FOR MY ROUTER?" emphasize that newer builds is not necessarily better. In particular, the second one states:
Quote:
Sometimes today's latest release may not be the best in terms of performance because a lot might have been stripped out to make way for newer features. This is both good and bad. With new features come new bugs and/or increased CPU & Ram usage which may cripple the router under heavy loads.

So, since this router is kinda old, is there a benefit to going for a k3.x build instead of k2.6? I did find a post from 2019 in which a user reported a positive experience with dd-wrt.v24-37305_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-nv64k.bin. (last post in this thread)

However, for what it's worth, the router database recommends dd-wrt.v24-44715_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv64k.bin.

Aside from the build number, should I go for k2.6 or k.3x? What are the pros/cons?

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
The router database is a reference only. It is not a de-facto build recommendation. The main issue with using an older "stable" build is that if you do experience an issue, support may likely not be forthcoming unless you upgrade to the current release. Also, "recommended" build strictly relies on intended use of the router. Also, I wouldn't recommend 37305, in particular. Did you also read through the sticky in this forum... Sticky: Poll: which build do you recommend for Broadcom? as well as read *all* the build threads or search the forum for your particular device?
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
darussiaman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply!

kernel-panic69 wrote:
Did you also read through the sticky in this forum... Sticky: Poll: which build do you recommend for Broadcom?

Actually I missed this one. Thanks!

So now I'm seeing conflicting advice. I see your post that says:
Quote:
For K2.6 45955+ due to kernel and webUI patches.

But the OP in that sticky said that
Quote:
If your device is rather old and/or have limited resources (basically corerev of your SOC and ammount of flash and RAM), and you are not so-concerned about security and patches, IMHO it probably will have a better performance/stability with a not-so-recent build.

I'd say I do prioritize performance/stability at this point.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
search the forum for your particular device?

Yep I definitely did do that (mentioned it in my OP). That thread I linked in which a user reported a "smooth" experience is the most recent I can find with a build being explicitly recommended for my device specifically, with one exception. The exception is this one, that is more recent, but the person wanted the specific feature of guest networks, so it sounds to me that msoengineer said to get build 44715 specifically for those features. I don't have that specific feature need--just need basic wifi at home. It's not very clear if that user ended up having a good experience overall with that build.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
read *all* the build threads

No. The build threads didn't really come up in my search results. If my particular device isn't reported in those build threads then it's not relevant to me, correct?

kernel-panic69 wrote:
Also, I wouldn't recommend 37305, in particular.

Alright. It would be cool if you could share your reason(s) for why you don't recommend it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
PS: To clarify, my intended use of the router would be for basic use with wifi enabled, in an apartment setting, with the need for good stability of the signal to support teleconferencing and streaming being probably the highest priority.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Regarding 37305 - it is well behind the curve regarding patches related to K2.6 builds in particular. There have also been folks who reported issues upgrading from that build via webUI and I do not recall if it is because of the browser used or something else that was broken at the time.

I have a much more recent K26 build on one of my E4200v1s, which is essentially the same device, save and except for the flash chip size and essentially they use the same firmware image. I also have the same K3x build on another one.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1247094#1247094

Neither are in constant use these days, but they do see some use and I haven't noticed anything that would hamper VoIP or video calls. You may experience *some* latency, though.

I guess the main question is, are you using this as a Wired Access Point or an edge router connected to your modem providing firewall and NAT? I would consider upgrading to a more robust and powerful router if you intend to do a whole lot with it.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
darussiaman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok great, I'll try that 47495 build then (the 64k version). Thanks!

kernel-panic69 wrote:
I guess the main question is, are you using this as a Wired Access Point or an edge router connected to your modem providing firewall and NAT?

It would be the latter--connected to a modem and the one and only router in the private network. We have just 3 people in this apartment, and I used to use this router (with the build from 2012) in a house with 6 people for several years, and it was fine. The connection seemed steady, although this was pre-covid (stopped using it in ~2017 I think), so I'm not sure if any of us did any videoconferencing back then. Nonetheless, I'm thinking the odds are pretty high that it will be stable and with decent signal strength for us. I assume speed will be slow but we don't need very much for streaming and videoconferencing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:

I have a much more recent K26 build on one of my E4200v1s, which is essentially the same device, save and except for the flash chip size and essentially they use the same firmware image. I also have the same K3x build on another one.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1247094#1247094

Neither are in constant use these days, but they do see some use and I haven't noticed anything that would hamper VoIP or video calls. You may experience *some* latency, though.

Roughly what download speeds do you get on the 5 GHz band?

Navigation

Jump to: