Linksys WRT1900ACS V2 weird speed issues with FTP uploads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
strwbrrysam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 16:48    Post subject: Linksys WRT1900ACS V2 weird speed issues with FTP uploads Reply with quote
Hey everyone! Hope you're all doing OK.
So I'll try to keep this simple and only provide enough information to describe the problem first - please ask if you need more to help me solve this!

Current setup:
I have an Ubuntu box set up at Location A, that's running both OpenVPN server instances and VSFTPD.

At Location B, I have another Ubuntu box that's acting as a client.

I have already successfully configured all the other networking stuff like static routes to get a site-to-site VPN working.

Pings and everything work, and I can access the FTP server from the other location.

The problem has nothing to do with the VPN, but what I noticed is that when I use the WRT1900ACS v2 at Location B, my upload speeds to the FTP server at Location A becomes very sporadic and rarely tops 2MB/s

Whereas if I use my Asus RT-AC5300, the upload speeds almost max out my 100Mbit uplink at 8-9MB/s

I have spent many hours trying different builds for both routers, and have failed to come to a conclusion as to what's happening.

I've also made sure to not fall down the rabbit hole of changing random settings and guessing what the problem is.

Every time I install a different build, I only change enough settings to be able to connect the FTP server, then I immediately test the upload speed again.

Such settings include PPPOE details for my ISP, disabling Wifi radios for both routers, and setting static route so I can access Location A's resources.

I've disable Shortcut Forwarding Engine for both routers, because only the RT-AC5300 has CTF.

The WRT1900ACS v2 only has SFE.

But even with both disabled the WRT1900ACS v2 is most definitely crippled by something, and I can't figure out what.

Would any of you amazing gurus happen to have any idea where I can start troubleshooting this?

The other weird thing is that it only happens with WIRED connections. I've tried both my PC and laptop, and they both upload at 1-2MB/s

Switch to 5Ghz wifi and it jumps right back up to 5-6MB/s

Is there something funky about the WRT1900ACS v2 that I don't know about? Any hidden settings?

Thank you in advance for your time!

Last edited by strwbrrysam on Wed Oct 13, 2021 16:57; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
strwbrrysam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 16:56    Post subject: More info Reply with quote
A couple other things I noticed:
- Speedtest shows no issues with the WRT1900ACS v2, I get the full 900 down, 100 up as advertised.

- Even on STOCK LINKSYS FIRMWARE the same issue persists. Ethernet FTP upload is for some reason borked (1-2MB/s)
Versus 5Ghz wifi at just shy of 6MB/s.

- I know something is wrong with the WRT1900ACS v2 because I've swapped between that and the RT-AC5300 6 times (tested three times each, swapping for the other after each test)

and the pattern tells me that the WRT1900ACS v2 is indeed slower, even though the internet is perfectly fine.

I'm at a loss as to what it could be.
strwbrrysam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 18:57    Post subject: More Updates Reply with quote
The speed issue still exists on a fresh install of OpenWRT.

I've set MTU 1400 on the VPN server, client, both location's routers and the interfaces of both ubuntu boxes which didn't do a whole lot.

All out of ideas for now! Maybe this router is just sh!t.
oliver44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also suffered a few times with my wrt1900acs v2, from 1Gbps my wired connection decreased to 100mbps!
I think this problem is also from windows 10, there were some problems,you checked to see the latest updates ?

I suffered this problem on openwrt 21.02, now I'm running openwrt 19.07-SNAPSHOT and everything is fine with windows 11 .

https://ipv6.chappell-family.com/ipv6tcptest/
https://en.internet.nl/connection/e91f490fe1c54cb2b78145c0ab0d2b5a/results
http://www.dnssec-or-not.com/
https://dnscheck.tools/#results
strwbrrysam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
In your situation, did the 'indicated' speed of the link change at all?

Did windows actually show you it was a 100mbps link?

Or was it just the speed alone that suggested to you something was wrong?

I might give it one last chance by booting into Ubuntu on my laptop and see how that goes... will come back with some updates.

Also, I apologize for not giving this information earlier because I am not familiar with OpenWRT, but yes. I also installed 21.02.0.

I might try the same version as you with windows and report back. It would be nice to confirm that I am not the only one with this problem.
strwbrrysam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip! I can confirm it is indeed a Windows 10 problem. Ubuntu will happily upload at the full speed to the FTP server.

It's still a bit strange to me how when I do speedtests it says I still have 900/100?

But it's only FTP that has an issue. And only UPLOADS

I still have no clue how to fix it though... Does anyone have any idea where to start?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you're enabling jumbo frames on Windows or DD-WRT, don't. People seem to think DD-WRT supports jumbo frames and that is just not the case.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
strwbrrysam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
If you're enabling jumbo frames on Windows or DD-WRT, don't. People seem to think DD-WRT supports jumbo frames and that is just not the case.

Thanks for the reply! I've just checked and Jumbo Packet / Jumbo Frames are already disabled for both Ethernet ports on my PC.

I'm not an expert when it comes to networking, only know just enough to be able to configure the vpn / ftp servers and a couple of dd-wrt routers myself to the point where they function.

I only chose DD-WRT because I used to use the OpenVPN server built into it, but it wasn't fast enough for me.

It's just weird to me how I would have this problem with just the WRT1900ACSv2 but not the RT-AC5300, as they've both running clean installs of DD-WRT I can't imagine the settings being too different from each other.

And I can't think of any settings that would make a difference for windows specifically. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm not too bothered by it, because I just picked up the WRT1900ACSV2 second-hand for cheap and wanted to test the capabilities fully before setting it aside as a dedicated guest AP but if I can't figure out this FTP thing I guess I could just sell it and get another AC68U which I'm more familiar.

I just thought it'd be nice to have this discussion to try and learn what the problem is, before I pack it back up and post it online for sale again.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
If all of your cabling is good, I don't see any glaring reason why you're having issues. We have had folks who had garbage cabling (that was not even cat5) involved, so it's best to ensure that the cabling is not at fault. I'm curious what specific DD-WRT builds this is on? It's possible there is a driver issue or even possibly a configuration issue, but that would take further information to determine.

----------------------
strwbrrysam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
If all of your cabling is good, I don't see any glaring reason why you're having issues. We have had folks who had garbage cabling (that was not even cat5) involved, so it's best to ensure that the cabling is not at fault. I'm curious what specific DD-WRT builds this is on? It's possible there is a driver issue or even possibly a configuration issue, but that would take further information to determine.

I have nothing to really 'test' the cables with, but I can't really see how that would be an issue if we've already established that WINDOWS 10 is the only OS struggling to communicate properly with the WRT1900ACSV2 during FTP uploads.

I know it sounds crazy, because its a very specific problem.

I used the same cables for my laptop, and same crap speeds. As soon as I booted into ubuntu, the speeds are fine.

So its definitely something to do with Windows. What I can't figure out is why would Windows hate the WRT1900ACSV2?

Do please let me know everything you need. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a quick solution. I appreciate the help and I'll keep this thing if it means helping you guys help me figure out this issue. I do like tinkering too, and would love to learn more about DD-WRT.

Now as for the build, I started out with 47528 on both the RT-AC5300 and WRT1900ACSV2

For the RT-AC5300, I did NOT use the experimental driver build.

Now, because the RT-AC5300 is not the one with the issues, I kept build 47528 on it for the duration of my testing.

As for the WRT1900ACSV2, I've tried

basically going back in time to previous builds several months apart because I don't really have the time to try every single build.

I just got home for the evening so I might go back to the earliest supported build and see if there's issues there. If not, I'll go back forward and do a sort of binary search to see maybe where it went wrong? Or is that strategy no good?
strwbrrysam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry just a quick question - I tried to look up a 'changelog' of sorts to see if I could make it easier to distinguish between the different versions/builds of DD-WRT and came across something about kernel changes.

doing a quick uname -r shows 4.9.207 for build 41813 on the WRT1900ACSV2, and a very old forum post suggested that some of the more stable builds people are using are from kernel 3.x

Do we know roughly when this change took place? or will I just have to just keep flashing in order until I find one that works?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured out the answer to my own question. sorta.. I just SSH'd into Location A's router which is an RT-AC1900P. It's a 'newer' build compared to the WRT1900ACSV2 but it's running an older kernel so I guess DD-WRT uses different kernels for different builds.

I'm still wondering if there's a list somewhere?
strwbrrysam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
09-09-2016-r30605 which is the earliest version specifically for the V2 (everything else just says ACS) same problem.

Sigh.. windows why you gotta be such a bitch.

Though its worth noting that the speeds have 'doubled' to just shy of 3MB/s

I need it to double again unfortunately...
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
There really is no changelog other than the svn/git commit logs. At one time, a forum member by the name of KrypteX had been maintaining a human-readable changelog, but that hasn't been kept up for quite some time. Thanks for nudging me to check the supported devices wiki. There's some edits needed as the ACSv2 is not even listed.

I will say this: The last Windows releases I truly admire to this day are XP and 7. Everything since is absolute sh*t.

----------------------
oliver44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am currently on windows 11 from the release date. I did the clean install and now I'm running openwrt 19.07-SNAPSHOT and everything is fine with windows 11, I also use a PC compatible with windows 11 and it even moves very well 1Gbps

oliver44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
21.02-SNAPSHOT r16306-c43a5921fa, Kernel Version 5.4.150 problem persists , I did not see these notifications on version 19.07, I said to try because I switched to windows 11, the problem persists, I don't think it's from windows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: