Can Router works with a MP1584 regulator for dd-wrt?

supercool
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:29    Post subject: Can Router works with a MP1584 regulator for dd-wrt? Reply with quote
My friends told me this is the IC's circuit diagram in a router? I can not understand how it works in a router? After reading through the datasheet, I still don't get what this COMP pin does and how to use it. Can someone explain to me the function and purpose of this pin in pure English?
Here is the datasheet of MP158

Sponsor
MuzzleVelocity
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 17:49    Post subject: Re: Can Router works with a MP1584 regulator for dd-wrt? Reply with quote
supercool wrote:
Can someone explain to me the function and purpose of this pin in pure English?

"COMP" in this context stands for COMParator.

The "Error Amp" looks at the actual output voltage (through a divider). The output of this amplifier (or comparator if you prefer) is used as the feedback to the regulator to adjust itself.

The output of this comparator also connects to the COMP pin, and as show in the diagram they recommend connecting it to ground via a simple RC filter (resistor capacitor). This connection basically "smooths out" the comparator output, making the regulator less likely to oscillate or become unstable.

Interesting question, but what the heck does it have to do with dd-wrt? Are you trying to build your own router or something?
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 22:50    Post subject: Re: Can Router works with a MP1584 regulator for dd-wrt? Reply with quote
supercool wrote:
I can not understand how it works

Actually, that topology is a switching buck converter, you can read online how it works.
MuzzleVelocity wrote:

Interesting question, but what the heck does it have to do with dd-wrt? Are you trying to build your own router or something?

Maybe attempting to repair the router?

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:03    Post subject: Re: Can Router works with a MP1584 regulator for dd-wrt? Reply with quote
supercool wrote:
My friends told me this is the IC's circuit diagram in a router? I can not understand how it works in a router? After reading through the datasheet, I still don't get what this COMP pin does and how to use it. Can someone explain to me the function and purpose of this pin in pure English?
Here is the datasheet of MP158

that image is the functional block diagram for MP4462, and it has nothing to do with MP1584.

EDIT: Sorry Somehow I was looking at MP158 datasheet instead of MP1584 and gave the wrong comment above.

Back to your question: what is the COMP pin and how to use it?
I think that MuzzleVelocity's answer gives an overview description/explanation which is easy to digest for laymen such as myself.
In COMPONENT SELECTION part of the datasheet, there is this section "Compensation Components" on page 12-13 showing how to determine R3 C3 C6 connected to COMP, and Table 3 shows the typical values for them depending on Vout, L1, and C2.
My (layman) suggestion is to first check if you can use the pre-calculated values for R3 C3 C6 in Table 3, if not then you need to calculate yourself using the formulae on page 13.

Last edited by IONK on Tue Nov 02, 2021 18:01; edited 2 times in total
MuzzleVelocity
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 16:43    Post subject: Re: Can Router works with a MP1584 regulator for dd-wrt? Reply with quote
IONK wrote:
that image is the functional block diagram for MP4462, and it has nothing to do with MP1584.
they are essentially the same exact chip except one is rated for 3amps and the other is 3.5amps.
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 16:56    Post subject: Re: Can Router works with a MP1584 regulator for dd-wrt? Reply with quote
MuzzleVelocity wrote:
IONK wrote:
they are essentially the same exact chip except one is rated for 3amps and the other is 3.5amps.

oops sorry you're absolutely correct.
Somehow I was looking at MP158 datasheet instead of MP1584.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
If not black holed for forum spam, this post should be moved to hardware DIY, anyway. Folks don't seem to be keen on looking past the surface.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: