Can’t see 5 GHZ access point in survey on dual band WRT 60

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
wealthwise
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 22:52    Post subject: Can’t see 5 GHZ access point in survey on dual band WRT 60 Reply with quote
In DDWRT build WRT600N_1.01.36_build_4_20080514_US.bin, survey it only shows 2.4 HHZ even though there is a 5 GHZ access point, am I missing something, could it be the build I’m using? Thanks
Sponsor
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are asking if your >13 year old firmware could be the culprit.
Am I missing something?

U R posting in the wrong forum, this forum is NOT for router help.
Announcement: STOP!-READ FIRST: This area is NOT for router help! READ!
wealthwise
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
No that's not what I'm saying, I do see your point though, so are you saying the build needs to be newer for 5 GHZ to work? Anyhow seeing how this is the wrong forum, I'll post in the right one.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
That router is a Broadcom.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
This thread could've been moved; but thank the angry mob with pitchforks for not realizing the benefits vs. the complaints, lol. Now we have two threads for the same problem. Pardon my saying, but that is stupid.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
wealthwise
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
This thread could've been moved; but thank the angry mob with pitchforks for not realizing the benefits vs. the complaints, lol. Now we have two threads for the same problem. Pardon my saying, but that is stupid.

Not so much a mob, but yes it's stupid and so far no answer so I've pretty much come up with my own, yes the firmware is too old to have had 5 GHZ now that I think about it, and no there doesn't seem to be a more stable release that does survey 5 GHZ, so the answer is unless someone wants to chime in, not doable. My guess is I'm going to have to use a third party survey application, but the bigger problem is so far I haven't gotten the Router to even recognize 5 GHZ APs. FYI I'm a mid 50's male with little experience in this type of networking, so please folks cut me some slack.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thread moved.

The forum guidelines have many helpful pointers about where and how to post and otherwise useful information:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
The whole functionality of that has been an on-again off-again work in progress; it may be that it just doesn't work for your 5GHz band. I don't have this router to test specifically and give any good advice. It also could be that the default settings for advanced wireless are keeping your router from even seeing any APs; Sensitivity Range / Ack timing to be specific. Try setting it to 2250.

----------------------
wealthwise
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I"m starting to understand the functionality of this setup, although I don't have it setup like I would like to. I have W0 setup as a 2.4 GHZ Client Bridge and W2 as AP, I'm accessing internet by connecting to the SSID of the AP, I presume that's not the most optimal way to go but at least it's online. However in the Linking Routers section of Client Bridge it says "If using a multi-band router, do not set more than one band to CB. The other radio(s) would normally be set as AP. For example, the 2.4GHz radio can a CB while the 5GHz is an AP, or vice versa. " The thing is I don't see how to do it vice versa to make W0 5GHZ is that where Site Survey plays a role? If so that's how I'm guessing W0 is 2.4 GHZ, since survey can see the 2.4 GHZ only, if that makes sense? If that is the case and the Site Survey doeen't see the 5 GHZ does that mean I cant setup W0 as 5 GHZ Client Bridge and W0 as 2.4 GHZ AP? and I"m stuck with the setup I have? My intention is to use the Cient Bridge as a Wife adpter using the ethernet freeing up the PC Wifi but I can't do that with this setup. One thing I see that's a benefit from this setup is that I can access the web interface by connecting to the SSID IP# In Network Setup, something I have not been able to do with other types of setups with ethernet, due to that IP issue I've read about
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't use site survey to configure client bridge on 5GHz on a k2.6 build on one of my E4200s:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1174497&highlight=client+bridge#1174497

----------------------
wealthwise
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I didn't use site survey to configure client bridge on 5GHz on a k2.6 build on one of my E4200s:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1174497&highlight=client+bridge#1174497

I've looked around and can't seem to find how to configure client bridge for 5GHz, how did you do it? Is it different for a WRT 600N?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I followed the wiki and set the wireless mode to client bridged.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

----------------------
wealthwise
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I followed the wiki and set the wireless mode to client bridged.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

That's the page I follwed the instructions on but there isan't a word on there on how to configure W0 as 5GHZ, not that I can see.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why would you be trying to configure wl0 as 5GHz, shouldn't you be trying to configure wl1?

----------------------
wealthwise
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Why would you be trying to configure wl0 as 5GHz, shouldn't you be trying to configure wl1?
Because I want the Bridge to be 5GHZ and the AP to be 2.4 GHZ, Im not to sure if I got this right, but now I changed it to Client Bridge from Client and I can't access the Web Interface anymore, I tried to ping the IP but it doesn't respond, so I have to start from scratch and reset. This is very frustrating, I've used wifi dongles that are faster but they don't have the ability to setup as Ethernet if they did I would use them, they also don't have a very long life expectancy. That said I just bought another one. This is all so I can be able to have reliable faster speeds with our campground Wifi. I just wish I had a better idea of how this works.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: