Bridged WLAN not working

pippuz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 19:41    Post subject: Bridged WLAN not working Reply with quote
Hello everybody,

I have some issues with the configuration of my new WLAN (vap) on a different subnet.

I have been following this very nice guide here: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs and the ones similar to this, but still I'm not able to have it working.

Problem: As soon as I modify the bridging table in order to route the wl1.1 through br1, I'm unable to connect to wl1.1

Goal: use my OpenVPN client only when connected to a specific WLAN

What I've done so far:

- OpenVPN client setup was easily accomplished: in status -> OpenVPN, it shows I'm correctly connected

Client: CONNECTED SUCCESS
Local Address: 10.8.0.21
Remote Address: 10.8.0.21

So far everything works, all my traffic gets redirected through the VPN

- Setup a VAP (Virtual Access Point) on my Virtual Interface wl1.1 (SSID wl1.1) and configured with the correct settings: I can correctly connect to it without any issue

- I create a new bridge br1, to which I assign the IP 192.168.2.1/24
- Under Multiple DHCP Server, I add a new DHCP server and associate it to the br1 interface

Interface br1: IP 192.168.2.1/255.255.255.0

So far, everything still works with the wl1.1 interface still routed through br0

As soon as I modify the bridging table in order to route the wl1.1 through br1, I'm unable to connect to wl1.1

If I try to connect via my Win 10 laptop, I see the following error events:

Wireless security failed.

Network Adapter: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260
Interface GUID: {beb2e2a8-6992-4f4d-86a7-30ac54da844d}
Local MAC Address: [my MAC Address]
Network SSID: wl1.1
BSS Type: Infrastructure
Peer MAC Address: 3E:37:86:FD:9F:9B
Reason: Dynamic key exchange did not succeed within configured time
Error: 0x0

WLAN AutoConfig service failed to connect to a wireless network.

Network Adapter: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260
Interface GUID: {beb2e2a8-6992-4f4d-86a7-30ac54da844d}
Connection Mode: Manual connection with a profile
Profile Name: wl1.1
SSID: wl1.1
BSS Type: Infrastructure
Failure Reason:The specific network is not available.
RSSI: -49

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r40559 std (08/06/19)
Hardware: Netgear R7000 v1

Does somebody has any hints of what could be the issue?

thank in advance,
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Upgrade to 43516.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/06-25-2020-r43516/netgear-r7000/

https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/ wrote:
DISCLAIMER

This database may not have up-to-date information and may even recommend a build which might cause issues. As such, you should check the device specific forum (Broadcom, Atheros, MediaTek, etc.) first before flashing any build recommended in this database. There you will find build specific topics that discuss any issues with a particular build/release. For more up-to-date firmware files, please visit the firmware faq.

YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN FRIENDLY AND FAIR NOTICE

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
pippuz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey kernel-panic69,

thanks for replying and the hint.

I've upgraded to kernel-panic69 to the firmware DD-WRT v3.0-r43516 std (06/25/20) as you suggested, but it still doesn't work.

I must admit I haven't reset the router after upgrading to this last version, it might be worth a try. I guess I can save my configuration and the re-apply it after resetting, correct?

I'll try that and let you know how it proceeds.

thanks
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is no point to restoring to what you saved just before the reset. That just undoes the reset and leaves you where you started.

You most likely have a configuration error somewhere and are going to have to work through entering and testing things a step at a time.

Have a look at https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Guest_WiFi_%2B_abuse_control_for_beginners with an eye to using an unbridged VAP rather than creating and using that second bridge. This guide is rather out of date though, so I suggest only reading through the DHCPd section and making a mental note that DHCPd is gone now in dd-wrt. DHCP is now instead handled by DNSMasq, but the setup steps are the same. And note that Net Isolation as discussed assumes that you have only a main network br0 and this one new guest network. It's a bit more involved if you have more networks (subnets) than these two.

I'm not familiar myself with R7000 specifics, but I do know that it's a popular dd-wrt router, so I assume people who know will speak up if there are router-specific things you should know.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, I completely glazed over the bridged VAP issue in the process of the usual response to 40559. The following information may be helpful for you. Whichever magic voodoo works will have to be saved in your startup script in Administration->Commands->"Save Startup". If you already have something there, you will need to click "Edit" and add, preferably at the top of your startup script. Smile

Quote:
• VAPs not working at boot fixed for unbridged VAPs with r40564:40566. Workaround startup command:
sleep 10;stopservice nas;stopservice wlconf;startservice wlconf;startservice nas (there are a few alternatives: search)

sleep 10;stopservice nas;wlconf eth1 down;wlconf eth1 up;wlconf eth2 down;wlconf eth2 up;startservice nas

sleep 20
nvram set wl1.1_hwaddr=
nvram commit
stopservice nas; wlconf eth1 down; wlconf eth2 down; wlconf eth1 up; wlconf eth2 up; startservice nas; logger "VAP workaround executed";

sleep 1
logger "VAP workaround starting";
nvram set wl1.1_hwaddr=
nvram commit
stopservice nas; wlconf eth1 down; wlconf eth2 down; wlconf eth1 up; wlconf eth2 up; startservice nas; logger "VAP workaround executed";

----------------------
pippuz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

sleep 10;stopservice nas;wlconf eth1 down;wlconf eth1 up;wlconf eth2 down;wlconf eth2 up;startservice nas

sleep 20
nvram set wl1.1_hwaddr=
nvram commit

sleep 1
nvram set wl1.1_hwaddr=
nvram commit

This did the trick, thanks! I understand the commands, but I can't really tell why disabling the interfaces and then reenabling them makes it work.

In my case I have two wireless interface (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and the 5 GHz had been completely disabled.

I've modified it adding the eth0 interface and now also the 5GHz WLAN interface is working correctly.

Code:

sleep 10;stopservice nas;wlconf eth0 down;wlconf eth0 up;wlconf eth1 down;wlconf eth1 up;wlconf eth2 down;wlconf eth2 up;startservice nas

sleep 20
nvram set wl1.1_hwaddr=
nvram commit
stopservice nas;wlconf eth0 down;wlconf eth0 up; wlconf eth1 down; wlconf eth2 down; wlconf eth1 up; wlconf eth2 up; startservice nas; logger "VAP workaround executed";

sleep 1
nvram set wl1.1_hwaddr=
nvram commit
stopservice nas;wlconf eth0 down;wlconf eth0 up; wlconf eth1 down; wlconf eth2 down; wlconf eth1 up; wlconf eth2 up; startservice nas; logger "VAP workaround executed";

I've the feeling that they are not too stable though, so every times I make also a trivial change to the wireless settings (e.g.: the SSID), it doesn't work anymore. In that case, a reboot is needed.

As it wasn't a configuration error, it was really hard to understand what the problem was. I'm still unsure what the glitch is, but at least this workaround works.

Thanks again kernel-panic69!

P.s.:

For those interested, don't forget to add the Policy Based Routing to the VPN service if you want just some subnet to routed via the VPN.
pippuz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've just noticed that there's a full thread containing with similar issues on the VAPs on the "Authentication failure on later builds for VAPs" for Broadcom SoC based Hardware: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=317181&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

In this thread one could also find the commands suggested by kernel-panic69, which were of big help!

It looks like the issue is connected to the way HW MAC addresses are generated in the newer versions of the drivers. Let's see how this evolves.

Thanks for the help!
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would have liked to reply to https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=317181&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90 but since its locked, Ill reply here.

Essentially Asus RT-AC68U E1 (though revision matters not) a Broadcom SoC, Ive been experiencing wifi disconnections to all connected clients on a wl1.1 VAP when I click apply for any reason, or even if theres no reason at all, merely clicking apply just to see the bug rear its head is enough.

So not fun, when I have to test work Im doing for DD_WRT themes and ppl are using the wifi and suddenly the only choice is to run the restart interfaces commands via ssh, else none will reconnect of its own accord.

See https://svn.dd-wrt.com/timeline?from=2021-09-22T13%3A24%3A58%2B01%3A00&precision=second where this bug is connected to another issue that since has been fixed.

Im now running Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r47474 std (09/20/21)

I dont see any reason why DD-WRT cant restart the interfaces properly in any case.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need a non-production test device; I saw your reply just now. Anything I test patches on or bug-check is never on a device people connect to. But I understand how much of a pain in the a$$ this is - and was NOT aware of the larger picture when I made that comment. There have been people who don't understand what happens when they click "Apply" and they report issues that may be invalid. Last time I looked at wlconf and all the associated code, I got cross-eyed. I would have to agree, though, that it would be great if this bug were fixed completely.

----------------------
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
You need a non-production test device; I saw your reply just now. Anything I test patches on or bug-check is never on a device people connect to. But I understand how much of a pain in the a$$ this is - and was NOT aware of the larger picture when I made that comment. There have been people who don't understand what happens when they click "Apply" and they report issues that may be invalid. Last time I looked at wlconf and all the associated code, I got cross-eyed. I would have to agree, though, that it would be great if this bug were fixed completely.

I have a much older router (buffalo_wzr-hp-g300nh) that suffers from other issues, upgrades only via TFTP (else was a softbrick) which is a pita in itself. The other issue is recently, these furry terrorists aka cat(s) knocked it down from where it was stored and it cracked the case/mobo, its now dead, until I get the patience to try repair it. (I have a even older 2MB flash model but thats a non starter for this type of work).

So only choice is, production on the Asus RT-AC68U. On a personal note, I haven't has much paid work as I'de like due to COVID, even remote work has decreased considerably. I would buy a non Broadcom SoC router, cause lets face it, Broadcom sucks at FLOSS and by extension Projects like dd-wrt are limited.

But on a more ontopic note:

Im not a fresh off the boat novice, I am fully aware how dd-wrt works for the most part.

As for this issue with clicking apply and VAP clients cant reconnect until interfaces are restarted.

I see that dd-wrt does a wland daemon restart (amongst other things) on clicking apply, but this is the important part.

Code:

Sep 23 09:17:22 router user.info : wland : daemon successfully stopped
Sep 23 09:17:22 router user.info : wland : daemon successfully started

But for VAPS this doesn't seem to be enough, even if its technically correct procedure and (assuming) the source code is correct (and bug free'ish).

I have to try ask/beg BS if he'd mind adding some exception to the source where as to ensure the interfaces are forced to re-initialize both on boot and after clicking apply as a workaround to this issue pretty much what the command line seems to work.

Also rebooting works, because its set to run the command on startup, else it wouldn't work either.

The command being...

Code:

stopservice nas;wlconf eth0 down;wlconf eth1 down;wlconf eth2 down;startservice nas;wlconf eth0 up;wlconf eth1 up;wlconf eth2 up

At this time, short of selling my soul to Santa, I have to suffer with the plague of such issues.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Funny you mention that model Buffalo; I just snagged one off eBay to possibly swap out with another test device. To be quire honest IRT this bug, it's Broadcom, and that isn't always where the focus is at in DD-WRT development. One thing I am grateful for is that I didn't lose much due to COVID, but there was definitely a slight hiccup.

----------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: