DD-WRT on D-Link DIR-615 hw E3 E4 - 2021 tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
The fact remains that there are only so many in this community active enough to maintain the wikis; My suggestion would be to link those 50 threads here in this thread and then someone can link everything. I believe the perspective of that moderator was that there are device threads that wound up literally being 200 pages in depth, and quite cumbersome to sift through because the same exact topic was discussed a dozen times throughout the thread, and not a larger percentage of the users were reporting issues in the build release threads. At least that is my semi-educated guess. You can sift through this forum and see how many times "stable build" and "best release" questions have been asked; same goes for "recommended router", among others. Repetition and redundancy is not always a good thing. Here we are discussing old hardware, and you could have appended a list of reference links in your OP. It's the kind of behavior that new users have displayed in the past that likely decimated the participation of past quite active moderators and users due to moderators' frustration. Out of the ones listed, there are only a couple who are on here daily at present; before that, only one was. There is a certain level of expectation here, and most new people do not understand this. I can safely say that I speak for everyone here, your feedback is truly appreciated and we thank you for that and we will work to correct this.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was not my intention for you to interpret my interjection as an attack; I was merely implying that you're not the first person to have faced the confusion and the challenge of finding all this information as well as be forthcoming with the fact that our hands are somewhat tied as far as gathering all of the threads into one place - but if you click on the references sticky at the top of this sub-forum, you can see I have tried to give some starting points. I do appreciate your feedback and apologize if I was a little abrasive.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks, i simply made this post to try put all the issues i faced in one place, to try save someone the time to search over 50 posts.

i dont want the 6 hours it took me to figure it out, to be the reason someone else gave up on DDWRT because it got too hard.

in fact i just did another of the same exact router and faced new problems. which i will update in this post soon.

i hope i can help other new users with a new user perspective which is much different from a long time user
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds like you're not willing to share your sources of information for reference; this could be good or bad. I think it would be a good idea to link those over 50 posts so that we can sort through them and figure out what is and is not worthy of adding to the wiki. That is the ultimate goal, right? Making a more complete wiki?
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds like you're not willing to share your sources of information for reference

what does that mean??? i have already compiled the main information from all the posts in the first post and will update further in time.

not sure why the attitude.
i have already explained the issue with firmware versions should be addressed more clearly in the wiki. knowledge for choice of firmware is the most important factor (for older devices at least)

i have only flashed dir300 and dir615 so far and tried to share issues for others and issues with wiki

d33b0_n4p41m wrote:
Sounds like you're not willing to share your sources of information for reference; this could be good or bad. I think it would be a good idea to link those over 50 posts so that we can sort through them and figure out what is and is not worthy of adding to the wiki. That is the ultimate goal, right? Making a more complete wiki?
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
As i said in my previous posts...nobody is using those routers around, 615 E is very old and only you can find witch version is flushable and report it... Nobody here has this router around, as well have spare time to aim such a task...that is one of the reasons to get a new and supported router, to be able to keep up with the new builds...
DDWRT supports many routers and platforms, but has only one developer and one support dev, it will be a good time-waste to get them flashing 615E, finding witch build will be running on your device...trace the changes and get them fixed, just because of you...
As i also said those devices that are not in use for a long time no owners to flash/taste those, become obsolete (kinds of)...
So, if you want to help this free firmware project its on you to know:
-how to flash
-how to recover
-how to do a serial recovery
to be able to find and trace back issues and report those in order to get fixed...
That's how it works and its free...

find witch version is flashabe, check its size and compare those to the newer builds if their size is bigger...
this is one of the main reason of not flashable builds...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
tgvrfcedx wrote:
d33b0_n4p41m wrote:
Sounds like you're not willing to share your sources of information for reference

what does that mean??? i have already compiled the main information from all the posts in the first post and will update further in time.

It means you didn't put at the end of your OP lines under a REF: note. Compiling information is great, but it's source(s) would validate your information. Have you never written a term paper?

tgvrfcedx wrote:
not sure why the attitude.

Because we're not going to have another device thread that is going to turn into a 200-page cumbersome cesspool of n00bs who can't read. PERIOD.

tgvrfcedx wrote:
i have already explained the issue with firmware versions should be addressed more clearly in the wiki. knowledge for choice of firmware is the most important factor (for older devices at least)

i have only flashed dir300 and dir615 so far and tried to share issues for others and issues with wiki

And have not given any explicit specific edit suggestions. Better come to the table, you've been given ample advice.

----------------------
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you looked deep enough into this forum, via the "references" stickies, you would understand; case in point: Netgear R7800. A large percentage of the discussion could either be split out or deleted permanently from the forum because it's so redundant. My advice is to come up with all the links and information and attach a proposed "new" wiki. Also, the reason why this forum stagnates is because you have frustration on both sides of the "issue": The frustration of new users who can't easily find information and the frustration of folks who know how to find the information constantly having to open a package of Gerber and break out a spoon.
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
you are telling me to do it and share..... which i have... i made a post on it for anyone else that has the same router and issues IN ONCE POST not 50. YET i have literally been asking WHERE the relevant firmware test posts are located to provide such new data???? no one has explained its location

is there no version history? is there no test discussions? is that why i am faced with such resistance?is that why no one can just give a direct link ?

keep being told... LOOK IT UP.... does it even exist?

Alozaros wrote:
As i said in my previous posts...nobody is using those routers around, 615 E is very old and only you can find witch version is flushable and report it... Nobody here has this router around, as well have spare time to aim such a task...that is one of the reasons to get a new and supported router, to be able to keep up with the new builds...
DDWRT supports many routers and platforms, but has only one developer and one support dev, it will be a good time-waste to get them flashing 615E, finding witch build will be running on your device...trace the changes and get them fixed, just because of you...
As i also said those devices that are not in use for a long time no owners to flash/taste those, become obsolete (kinds of)...
So, if you want to help this free firmware project its on you to know:
-how to flash
-how to recover
-how to do a serial recovery
to be able to find and trace back issues and report those in order to get fixed...
That's how it works and its free...

find witch version is flashabe, check its size and compare those to the newer builds if their size is bigger...
this is one of the main reason of not flashable builds...
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=44

Flash and report in the appropriate build release threads. Use *r47381* (for example) for search term, choose appropriate sub-forum and language, select search for all terms in the forum search. You are beating a dead horse into oblivion and my tolerance level has been exceeded. I was trying really hard not to be abrasive and rude and allow you to have a central dump thread, but you continue to argue with people who have tried to impart wisdom to you and bark orders like you own this place. Not happening. Your perception of "resistance" is folks trying to tell you that you need to understand that older devices don't get much attention in information posted and that the only source of information is the information you yourself do your due diligence to seek and provide. We're not here to do it all for you.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
I'm sorry that we can't merge all the threads on specific devices into one thread in this forum because it's phpBB v2.x.x and does not have that functionality (Do you REALLY want to spend hours reading through 200 pages?). I'm sorry that the "Bugtracker" link in the header of every page on this forum doesn't reach out to you and smacks you in the forehead (Look up and to your left!) I'm sorry that there are more threads in the forum than just the "New Build" threads (Gave you key words to look for!). I am sorry that the forum search function is a little cumbersome and not user-friendly. You are going to have to adapt and learn how to use this forum just like everyone else has. For now, you will have this "one spot"...

----------------------
elimskrad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:45    Post subject: Re: ddwrt on dlink dir-615 hw E3 E4 - 2021 tips firmware Reply with quote
tgvrfcedx wrote:

NOW!!! this is where the first problem that will catch people out.
full info here:
https://oldwiki.archive.openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-615#browser.issues

"i used Firefox 13 Portable Edition and it worked."

I gave up om my WRT160nV1 and proceeded to work on the D-Link DIR-615 Rev E3 and found this thread as per your advice on Firefox Portable 13 I pushed through the Tomato build I was trying to flash. I forgot about Brave Browser blocking everything. Spent all day on it. Thanks so much! and as per below on latest known to flash succesfully
link: https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2016/12-15-2016-r30949/dlink-dir615e3/
I now have the E3 done. Signed up to say thanks. I have many wireless routers flashed. Most always thanks to DD-WRT to be the gateway firmware. Now I'm off to play with my newly aquired Linksys E2500 V3. ($5) May mess with openwrt on it as I am building up a wifi router collection Keep finding them at goodwills and habitat for humanity stores. (FYI) 3-10 dollars usually.
Thanks DD-WRT. Guess I joined the party here and may dive deeper into the cosmos here. (Disabled with time on my hands)
Peace Smile
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
i was able to flash 09-20-2021-r47474 and it seems stable

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/09-20-2021-r47474/

i used command line most successfully to flash.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/D-link#Method_3:_Flashing_with_Command_Line

i will be testing it more, let me know how you go too.
these routers are a nice unit for larger antenna links
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
UPDATE: the factory-to-ddwrt firmware image size issue is now fixed, as of 47461; but I wouldn't recommend it for initial flash - use 47474 and newer.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/09-17-2021-r47461/dlink-dir615e3/

UPDATE 12.23.23: New recommendation is to use 45073 *factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin and newer for initial flash, keeping in mind to check the file size:

D-Link DIR-615 E1 - Cannot upgrade DD-WRT from r33525 (pg3)

----------------------

Last edited by kernel-panic69 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:09; edited 1 time in total
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: