iPhone 12 loses connection to 5GHz, seems fine on 2.4 GHz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need to run an iperf test through the router between a hard wired connection (laptop or desktop) to your iphone via wifi to see what's really up before you start jumping to conclusions.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
Sponsor
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Attached are site and channel surveys

https://imgur.com/CSnvKKB
https://imgur.com/mR9Bvcb
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, I
- enabled Airtime fairness
- set Protection Mode to 'None'
- disabled RTS Threshold

and I get best speed at 132 (UU+6)

The only setting i've not touched yet is ACK timing

I think the original issue got sidetracked with issues with throughput due to change in settings. IMHO once that is resolved then can look at why iphone loses wifi when going to sleep.
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some feedback,
with the changes I outlined earlier, it seems that iphone is still losing wifi when it goes to sleep.

any ideas/suggestions?
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
you can disable "Disassoc Low Ack"
it may be that when the phone goes into deep sleep it no longer responds to ACK's and is therefore disconnected from the router to increase network performance

but disabling it can also have performance side effects

anyway i have no problems, my pixel is connected for 4 days now (with "Disassoc Low Ack" enable)
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your OP stated "iPhone 12 loses connection to 5GHz, seems fine on 2.4 GHz" nothing about speed, yet now your on about speed, have you sorted out the connection problem now? i advise listen to good advise given in this thread, once stable play around to get better speeds.
Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
you can disable "Disassoc Low Ack"
it may be that when the phone goes into deep sleep it no longer responds to ACK's and is therefore disconnected from the router to increase network performance

but disabling it can also have performance side effects

anyway i have no problems, my pixel is connected for 4 days now (with "Disassoc Low Ack" enable)

I tried to disable "Disassoc Low Ack" but that disabled my Internet connection, Rebooted router a couple of times but no device had internet connection. Was able to connect to the router from laptop via wireless but no internet.

Have set the phone to 2.4GHz wireless and will monitor and see if settings changes have had any effect on losing connectivity issue on 2.4GHz, it is still an issue on 5GHz
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just for your information the option works here without problems.

I don't know what it has to do with your internet connection.
This is just a small (tested) WLAN setting - nothing more.

Quote:
I tried to disable "Disassoc Low Ack" but that disabled my Internet connection, Rebooted router a couple of times but no device had internet connection. Was able to connect to the router from laptop via wireless but no internet.

sorry but that sounds like nonsense to me
Herbaldew
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Today is my first day using dd-wrt and I am having speed problems as well on my iPhone 12. This morning on stock Netgear firmware I was getting 600 Mpbs (R7500v2). Now with dd-wrt firmware I am getting around 100 Mbps.

That's not why I jumped in here though-- you state that your phone is losing wifi when it goes to sleep. That happened to both iPhones in this household some time ago after an IOS update. I did verify that all the little background things that use data when the phone is at rest were in fact using cellular data instead of wifi data.

It was caused by Apple's "Private Address" feature. Turned that off and both phones once again stay connected to wifi even when sleeping.

Nothing to do with speed issue, but saw this while looking for a cure for my slow speed.
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Herbaldew wrote:
It was caused by Apple's "Private Address" feature. Turned that off and both phones once again stay connected to wifi even when sleeping....

Thanks but I was aware of the private address and they had already been turned off.
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
Just for your information the option works here without problems.

I don't know what it has to do with your internet connection.
This is just a small (tested) WLAN setting - nothing more.

sorry but that sounds like nonsense to me

I can certainly try once more and see.

I just reported what happened not only to the phones (multiple devices) but windows laptops as well.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: