wifi connection problem from mobile phone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
trebortrebor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 18:07    Post subject: wifi connection problem from mobile phone Reply with quote
Router Model: Linksys WRT3200ACM
Firmware Version: DD-WRT v3.0-r34080 std (12/14/17)
Kernel Version: Linux 4.9.69-rc1 #83 SMP Wed Dec 13 01:23:39 CET 2017 armv7l

Hi, I have a problem connecting to the internet from my mobile phone (Moorola G4 Plus - Android 7.0) via wifi. When connecting I received the message "connected, no internet". I can however connect to the internet from a PC on the network both by Ethernet cable and via wifi. I have assumed therefore that the problem are the wifi connection settings on the router and the protocols that the phone is able to use. I have tried using all the wifi interfaces available on the router, the different network modes (including "mixed") and channels (including "auto") but this has made no difference. I also tried changing a channel setting to " bridged" and "unbridge" but this also made no difference. Rebooting the router didn't change anything. I've also obtained advice on the phone and have tried some typical solutions such as disconnecting/reconnection to wifi and also reseting the network settings but again no fix. P.s the phone has worked OK with a previous router (Draytek Vigor 2130n). Any advice please? - Thanks
Sponsor
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
These wireless security settings work best for me for both radios. These are the setting that can sometimes affect connecting. Works well on my Moto's

Security Mode - WPA

Network Authentication
WPA2 Personal - enabled with all others Disabled

WPA Algorithms
CCMP-128 (AES) - Enabled, TKIP - Disabled

802.11r (FT) support - Disable
802.11w Management Frame Protection - Disabled
Disable EAPOL Key Retries - Disabled

Edit: if you make the above changes, save/apply, you may need to "forget or delete" your network on the phone and then reconnect to it with the new settings.

I would suggest posting a question on updating the 3200 to the newest, best firmware version for that model. It involves a stepped method to do so safely. You would benefit from hundreds of security updates and otherwise. Ask before you update as there are lots of community members with experience and info that could help in doing so.
trebortrebor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 16:59    Post subject: wifi access issue Reply with quote
Hi Monza, thanks for the quick reply. I've tried the WPA2 Personal and AES settings but these made no difference. I can't find the other settings you mentioned on my router so I think I'll do as you suggest and look to update the firmware and see if the settings options are then provided. Can you tell me which would be the appropriate forum to ask about this please? Cheers.
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
You will be looking for the linksys-wrt3200acm folder under the release folders listed on the download server(s):

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

https://dd-wrt.com/support/other-downloads/?path=betas/

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/

A known good stable build to start with is

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/08-02-2020-r44048/

There are other much newer builds that people have reported good luck with. You can find information in this area of the forum under the "new build" posts, etc.
tangyi217
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Install an app(eg:IP Tools - Network Utilities) in android phone to do more investigation:

- ping local_gw // ensure ping local gw and pass
- route -n // check route table
- ping 8.8.8.8 // ping remote known good ip.
- nslookup www.google.com // check dns query work.
- ping www.google.com
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
That app is also available for iPhone and iPad.
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 18:28    Post subject: Re: wifi access issue Reply with quote
trebortrebor wrote:
Can you tell me which would be the appropriate forum to ask about this please? Cheers.

I would ask in this forum as update issues have been discussed here many times.

I've never been more than 2-3 releases behind the current nor do I have a 3200 so I have no first hand experience.

It seems updating from an older version to current fails regardless of 1200,1900 or 3200. The fix was to use a stepped method going up several releases skipping those greater than 36.7 MB's in size (Partitions issues). It possible to update successfully in two or three upgrades with that method.

My guess is the code has changed so much that it causes update fail when updating from really old releases.

There are several community members here that have dealt with it personally and could give you good info on the process and the best release to be running on your 3200.

You may find discussions if you search this forum for update issues.
trebortrebor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks guys - much obliged, so I'm looking to flash to a more recent stable firmware to try and resolve my problem. I have a few questions I would like to ask:-

1. I've seen suggestions that it's best to reset to factory default before flashing but there are a number of different ways it seems to do this (e.g. from GUI or different patterns of using the physical reset button). Anyone know the best/recommended method?

2. Does the reset return my router to the first dd-wrt firmware installation (base version) I made or to the original firware that came with the router?

3. If I take the approach suggested earlier and, from the base dd-wrt firmware version, I flash successively more recent firmware versions, do I need to do a reset in-between each time?

You can perhaps see that I'm feeling a bit confused about the process so, if it's easier can anyone point me to any documentation for the process? Thanks Smile
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should look at the announcements and stickies.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117

----------
“Life is about moving on, accepting changes and looking forward to what makes you stronger and more complete.” ~ Anonymous
trebortrebor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a bundle guys. I have successfully flashed to
"Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r44048 (08/02/20)" and am successfully using the wireless settings advised here. I am also successfully using my old router (connected via ethernet cable) as a wireless range extender. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: