Netflix + PBR maybe DNS issue?

Clish
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:43    Post subject: Netflix + PBR maybe DNS issue? Reply with quote
Hello everyone,
I've been running the following set up for half a year with no issues until two weeks ago.

R8000 DDWRT r45767

NordVPN with PBR for static IPs to not use the VPN.

TV (LG B7P on lastest firmware) has a static IP to run local Netflix
All other devices on the network run through the VPN.

Router DNS
DNS1 is 8.8.8.8
DNS2 is 8.8.4.4
DNS3 is 1.0.0.1

Everyone worked fine until two weeks ago where the TV (static IP/noVPN) starting having connection issues. The devices running through the VPN has no connection issues.

I updated to r47381, and the issue remains.

I tried giving a static IP to an ipad on the network to see if the connection issue comes up (which it did).

Turning off the VPN completely solves the issue, but then I have a new issue that I don't have a VPN.

Originally the TV's network settings had everything auto. When the connection issues started, I read around and tried turning the DNS on the TV to 8.8.8.8 which allows netflix to connect; but connection remains unstable.(if i kept the TV's network settings to auto it doesn't connect at all).

Any help appreciated. Thank you
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Netflix is constantly upgrading their algorithms to detect VPN's

Although you have set a static IP which is outside the PBR range the DNS used is most probably NORD's pushed DNS server.

You can do a couple of things:
1. Do not use the pushed DNS servers from NORD, so everybody also your VPN users will use a regular DNS server and you will have a "DNS leak" but your TV will work
2. Use split DNS so that your TV (static leases) will use another DNS server.
You can do that with either DNSMasq or with firewall rules.
As you are already use a static lease for your TV it is easiest to just use DNSMasq to not only hand out the static lease but also the DNS server to your TV.
(As you are using PBR, an alternate DNS server will just use the WAN and not the VPN).

How to do that is described in the VPN documentation, link in my signature at the bottom ( it is a sticky in this forum ).
See the DNS problems guide.

If there are any questions left feel free to ask

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Clish
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
Netflix is constantly upgrading their algorithms to detect VPN's

Although you have set a static IP which is outside the PBR range the DNS used is most probably NORD's pushed DNS server.

You can do a couple of things:
1. Do not use the pushed DNS servers from NORD, so everybody also your VPN users will use a regular DNS server and you will have a "DNS leak" but your TV will work
2. Use split DNS so that your TV (static leases) will use another DNS server.
You can do that with either DNSMasq or with firewall rules.
As you are already use a static lease for your TV it is easiest to just use DNSMasq to not only hand out the static lease but also the DNS server to your TV.
(As you are using PBR, an alternate DNS server will just use the WAN and not the VPN).

How to do that is described in the VPN documentation, link in my signature at the bottom ( it is a sticky in this forum ).
See the DNS problems guide.

If there are any questions left feel free to ask

awesome, let me read up some more and thank you for the fast reply!

EDIT:
So I followed the instructions changed the set up, so that the Static IP is defined in the Additional DNSmasq options with the following codes

dhcp-host=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx,set:altdnsgw,192.168.1.xx,TV,infinite
dhcp-option=tag:altdnsgw,option:dns-server,8.8.8.8,1.1.1.1

I will update if the connection remains stable / unstable.

Thanks again for the help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: