firmware size vs router memory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:27    Post subject: firmware size vs router memory Reply with quote
some older versions of firmware are

webflash 3mb and factory to ddwrt 3mb

but laster firmware is

webflash 3mb and factory to ddwrt 6mb

if the router is 4mb flash / 32ram

does that mean no version after the 3/3mb size will work?

or does it mean you must flash an older factory to ddwrt first 3mb and then use the laster firmware webflash to upgrade?

thanks
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can better ask those questions in the appropriate forum, a lot of things things depend on router model

As you did not state your router model I can not transfer it for your.

We can give better support if you follow the forum guidelines e.g. always state router model Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
its a general question for all routers
but if you want a model DLINK-615 E4

thanks

egc wrote:
You can better ask those questions in the appropriate forum, a lot of things things depend on router model

As you did not state your router model I can not transfer it for your.

We can give better support if you follow the forum guidelines e.g. always state router model Smile
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I already answered this question. I may not have gone into detail why the factory-to-ddwrt.bin files are the wrong size or satisfied your questions to your liking, but that is not important, is it? You are grinding an axe that is best left alone. You have been given more than enough information, I do not know how difficult it is to comprehend.
d33b0_n4p41m wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:
the latest you can use for initial flash is:

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2017/10-17-2017-r33525/dlink-dir615e3/

(you can go to the release folder and then to dlink-dir615e4 folder for the E4)

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327212

ian5142 wrote:
DLink 615's all series are best upgraded via the Command line. I have had issues using the webGUI on both C1 and E3 revisions. https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#Method_3:_Flashing_with_Command_Line

For command line flashing only use the ftp address.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=325210

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
that does not answer my questions... "WHY"
and if its SOOOO painful for you to help...DONT REPLY. easy!

why.... is 10-17-2017-r33525 the latest? size?

why are later versions 6mb if they are too large to flash?

is the correct way to upgrade the the latest version by webflash after first install ddwrt to get around size issue

in routrer search the highest version 44715 but in the directory its 09-08-2021-r47381 ?? why
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will email the developer and ask AGAIN. It wasn't important enough to fix it last time I inquired, obviously. I really don't know why you must continue to grind this axe. You have a known initial flash file. It's a known issue that is documented. I even updated the device wiki some and linked your other thread until I get a chance to do a proper update, just because YOU need it.

Please refer AGAIN to the forum rules and guidelines already linked; read, read, read, and COMPREHEND. The forum has NO control over development or the router database. NONE. It's stated numerous times throughout and yet you still have to ask WHY WHY WHY.... Rolling Eyes

----------------------
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
fix what issue?
what is a known issue?
im not sure what you are even talking about anymore.

i am not able to create an account to update the wiki ..soo?

kernel-panic69 wrote:
I will email the developer and ask AGAIN. It wasn't important enough to fix it last time I inquired, obviously. I really don't know why you must continue to grind this axe. You have a known initial flash file. It's a known issue that is documented. I even updated the device wiki some and linked your other thread until I get a chance to do a proper update, just because YOU need it.

Please refer AGAIN to the forum rules and guidelines already linked; read, read, read, and COMPREHEND. The forum has NO control over development or the router database. NONE. It's stated numerous times throughout and yet you still have to ask WHY WHY WHY.... Rolling Eyes
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
We must have clear, clean, neat, and concise documentation. It is a must. Because people can't seem to use their brain and accept things as they are and move forward. We must stop the entire project and shut the shop doors because of one person. Ludicrous!

There is a reason why wiki access is locked down. Because too many boneheads have mucked things up. You're not sure what's going on because you spend too much time asking questions instead of taking what is there and moving forward. You are literally bikeshedding things here.

----------
“Life is about moving on, accepting changes and looking forward to what makes you stronger and more complete.” ~ Anonymous
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your questions have already been answered. The answers may not have been obvious, but you were given answers, nonetheless.

EDIT: I got a response while I was napping. The answer to your question on the firmware size issue is what I suspected; The builds were broken. I will check the next release and update the status.

----------------------
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:11    Post subject: Re: firmware size vs router memory Reply with quote
tgvrfcedx wrote:
some older versions of firmware are

webflash 3mb and factory to ddwrt 3mb

but laster firmware is

webflash 3mb and factory to ddwrt 6mb

if the router is 4mb flash / 32ram

thanks

The build system the developer is using generates binaries for all the devices defined in the config files. This does not nessesary mean, that all generated binaries for all devices are valid.
A change in the build sources may break binaries for (some) devices. There are some preferred devices used by the developer to verify his builds, but he does not own and cannot check all (old, low end hardware) devices.
Look into the beta builds and check whats the last build that matches your flash and check the change log on the first "broken" build (followed by broken builds). This may help the developer to check his build system.
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
The developer was already contacted; thanks for the more level-headed explanation. Apparently, some folks need explanations for everything where the website and currently posted information are lacking due to gears grinding to a halt and they cannot seem to move forward in life until they're given an answer that correlates to "42". It also seems that we must white tornado the community over it as well. I am still waiting for the inputs for the wikis that have yet to be given; I thought all the information was already compiled and ready to go. Apparently not.
----------
“Life is about moving on, accepting changes and looking forward to what makes you stronger and more complete.” ~ Anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: