Netgear 7800 with OpenVPN [ SOLVED ]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
david6618
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 21:34    Post subject: Netgear 7800 with OpenVPN [ SOLVED ] Reply with quote
My netgear 7800 is running on Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r46885 std (06/05/21)

I'd OpenVPN client set up on average download speed 90 Mbps on 100Mbps line, my other cable router usually gets download speed between 110-120 Mbps.

In the 3 months period, I'd power cycle 3 times, the OpenVPN speed will drop to 35 Mbps power cycle usually do the trick.

Should I upgrade to a newer build? Will the new firmware Improve the OpenVPN download speed?

I followed the Netgear R7800 Install Guide https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320614 to set up this router.

What would be the steps for an upgrade to the new firmware?

Thank you

Last edited by david6618 on Wed Sep 15, 2021 22:30; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
OpenVPN speed depends from various things...
server location, server workload, encryption use(best use (chachapoly if possible or GCM)
yes update to the last build bear in mind there is new build coming soon...
just download the last build and update via GUI, can try without reset if so...

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/09-08-2021-r47381/netgear-r7800/dd-wrt-webupgrade.bin

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
david6618
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
OpenVPN speed depends from various things...
server location, server workload, encryption use(best use (chachapoly if possible or GCM)
yes update to the last build bear in mind there is new build coming soon...
just download the last build and update via GUI, can try without reset if so...

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/09-08-2021-r47381/netgear-r7800/dd-wrt-webupgrade.bin

Great, when will need the reset after the update via GUI? Any benefit to perform a reset after the build update?
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm you can always do a reset...but do not load old settings file and manually rebuild the set up...
I do a reset only if router behaves funny, or there are gremlins in nvram, or its size increased oddly..but reset after update is generally good thing it helps developers to exclude some scenarios of old data left overs...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
david6618
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
hmm you can always do a reset...but do not load old settings file and manually rebuild the set up...
I do a reset only if router behaves funny, or there are gremlins in nvram, or its size increased oddly..but reset after update is generally good thing it helps developers to exclude some scenarios of old data left overs...

I just updated to the new bin from the link with wired GUI, when logged in and check ( status - wireless switch from Wlan1 to Wlan0 ) I got " the connection was reset " error.

When I logged back and check the wireless status Wlan0 was selected.

The error also happened in other browser.
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't use the same browser you surf the net with. FF ESR or Pale Moon portable.
----------
“Life is about moving on, accepting changes and looking forward to what makes you stronger and more complete.” ~ Anonymous
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
david6618 wrote:
Alozaros wrote:

I just updated to the new bin from the link with wired GUI, when logged in and check ( status - wireless switch from Wlan1 to Wlan0 ) I got " the connection was reset " error.

When I logged back and check the wireless status Wlan0 was selected.

The error also happened in other browser.

yep, i remember that happened in the past, status page wireless, switching between the interfaces was buggy... try to reset router and rebuild from scratch, manually...if it happens again you can provide pictures and more details, also file an a report to the corresponding new build thread...
do mention router model/firmware number, give as many details are possible, dmesg and
cat /tmp/var/log/messages --- output

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
david6618
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
d33b0_n4p41m wrote:
Don't use the same browser you surf the net with. FF ESR or Pale Moon portable.

I'm using recommended browser Waterfox to update firmware with GUI.
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is also a good browser, but if you're on this forum or YouTube or Google or your mother's blog while connected to DD-WRT, it may have issues. I can't remember if WF has a portable version or not, but the main point was use a browser with no extensions loaded and not the same browser you're watching p0rn with. Rolling Eyes
----------
“Life is about moving on, accepting changes and looking forward to what makes you stronger and more complete.” ~ Anonymous
david6618
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I only use this browser for update firmware, no extension or plugin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: