Unable to ping router (Netgear R6220)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Stephnugs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 23:57    Post subject: Unable to ping router (Netgear R6220) Reply with quote
Hey guys,

Around three days ago I flashed my device with DD-WRT. Before I flashed my device with DD-WRT I factory reset my router, then after the DD-WRT installation I cleared the NVRAM via telnet. Everything has been running great until today.

Today, for some reason, I'm unable to ping my router and I lose all forms of connectivity. It happens randomly, and nothing in particular seems to trigger it. The problem persists when wired directly to the router via a cat6 cable and via wifi. A simple power cycle seems to fix the issue, but I'm wondering why this is happening. It must be an issue locally and not with my ISP, because I can't ping my netgear device when it happens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Router Model: Netgear R6220
Fimware Version: DD-WRT v3.0-r47381 std (09/08/21)
CPU: MediaTek MT7621 ver:1 eco:3

Here is a screenshot of the router information page:

I haven't made any changes to the stock DD-WRT firmware besides setting 1.1.1.1 for my DNS resolver, setting a couple static LAN IP's, and obviously changing my SSID/Security keys.

Any help would be appreciated, if you need more information to assist me please let me know. Thank you!
Sponsor
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
A couple of things I suggest checking is that uPnP is disabled and that ttraff daemon on the services page is disabled. Outside of that, we'd need to look at your settings, especially wireless.
Stephnugs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
d33b0_n4p41m wrote:
A couple of things I suggest checking is that uPnP is disabled and that ttraff daemon on the services page is disabled. Outside of that, we'd need to look at your settings, especially wireless.

Thank you very much for the help! I went ahead and disabled upnp (is there any reason why this cannot be enabled?). I also disabled the ttraff daemon and did a router reboot. Here is a screenshot of my wireless settings:

d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Start with basic and Advanced wireless settings. Autochannel is quirky; use a wi-fi scanner app to determine which is the best channel to use on each AP radio. To change settings, you have to select channel width and click save; select extension channel(s) and save; then select channel and save. Then you can apply or reboot.

Unless you have a specific need to enable uPnP, there is no reason to enable it as it is a security hole.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Tutorials
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
d33b0_n4p41m wrote:
To change settings, you have to select channel width and click save; select extension channel(s) and save; then select channel and save. Then you can apply or reboot.

This is wrong, this is a workaround for broadcom router where the whole thing is not working properly and the whole channel list is faulty

on all other routers simply select a 5ghz WLAN channel and the correct extension channel will be selected automatically (if channel overlapping is disabled)
there is actually no selection, there is only one correct extension channel per WLAN channel

5ghz:

Wireless Network Mode = AC/N-mixed
Channel Width = 80Mhz

Click Save

select Wireless Channel

Click Save

2,4Ghz:

Wireless Network Mode = NG-mixed
Channel Width = 40Mhz or 20Mhz

Click Save

select Wireless Channel
select extension Channel

Click Save

Example configuration:

5ghz:

Wireless Network Mode = AC/N-mixed
Channel Width = 80Mhz
Wireless Channel = 36
Extension Channel = UU+6
Allow Channel Overlapping = disable

2,4Ghz:

Wireless Network Mode = NG-mixed
Channel Width = 40Mhz
Wireless Channel = 5
Extension Channel = upper
TurboQAM = enable

and there are surely more settings missing in the advanced WLAN settings:

Regulatory Domain =
Short Preamble = enable
Short GI = enable
WMM = enable

But this is also a bit offtopic, if the router is neither via WLAN nor LAN pingable or reachable then there will not only be the WLAN settings to blame

and for general WLAN settings I refer to the Atheros documentation, which can also be applied to other chipsets

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/QCA_wireless_settings
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Perhaps I was wrong; thank you for the clarification ^_^
Stephnugs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per my previous post I disabled the ttraff daemon and upnp, and it looks like the problem is unfortunately still persisting. So I just now went ahead and modified my wireless settings. I disabled the 2.4ghz band, because I don't even use it. Here is a screenshot of my current wlan settings. Please let me know if I missed anything. Thank you!

EDIT: The problem still persisted after I changed my wlan settings. I reverted everything back to the stock Netgear firmware, which wouldn't work via the DD-WRT GUI. So I flashed my device with nmrpflash (after hours of troubleshooting), so I guess I'm back to using stock. I need my connectivity to be reliable, and with my DD-WRT settings it was clearly not. Thank you for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: