Memory Leak leading to a crash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
dexterv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
hmm yep out of the blue, you ve jumped in that thread and i dint see your post...my mistake as this thread was 1043v2 related...

i also have WR740N v4 running an old build, but still fine...im not updating it as i don't need to...and dont have an access to it most of the time...its a grand-ma router, that its not designed for anything else than a switch or grand-ma router...
those are for a basic needs and have very low specs...do not expect performance of a Ferrari from an old fart car...yep it tends to choke up, but been idle and reboots means you need to check your NIC or router switch and all of those above that apply + malware that floods the router with udp/tcp flood... and firewall gets fed up with shait...and eats all of the ram...
your best move will be, "go and find another router" if you want performance of a Ferrari .....
p.s. ill update it to a new build while i can...
just to confirm WR740N v1, i also have its running fine...(the real grand ma router)

Thanks for the reply. That firewall idea I have never considered, is that having a log or something I check?

Any tips on how to check the NIC and the other upstream hardware - there is an optical modem that feeds into a unmanaged switch which the router on 1 port and a TV box on another. On the router itself there is a TV and PS4 connected via ethernet but when the reset happens they are both offline.

I can disconnect all cables from the modem and check if the uptime has reset since I will not be having any logging. But apart from that I am not really sure what to try.
Sponsor
killian7603
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Guys,

I am sorry if I sort of distract the focus of the board, but I felt that this is the closest I could find around on the subject.

So, to give a quick overview:
Have 2 x TL-WR940N v2.1 running DD-WRT r34080 in WDS mode as per original instructions taken from this forum.
I have added few small tweaks taken from here and there to resolve issues like LAN devices seeing each other and reatempt of time update after a sudden reboot. Those commands are set in the STARTUP:

swconfig dev eth1 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev eth1 set apply
sleep 180
stopservice process_monitor
sleep 30
startservice process_monitor

Additionally I have disabled the traff Daemon to save couple of Megs on memory.

The AP is having only Wireless devices connected to it and the STATION has 1 cable connected device + Wireless devices connecting to it.
For years it has been running smoothly, without any issues what so ever.
The problems started recently when I needed to connect via cable one pc to the AP. The moment any device is connected via cable to the AP it starts getting overloaded. I have been inspecting and observing TOP, but there was no particulart CPU load on any of the listed components. However, the load would have been increasing steadily untill the system reboots.
I confirmed this was happening with 2 different cable connected devices, both using differen Cat5 cables.
I tried finding anything around the net, without any luck, so I started my own try and fail process by eliminating one by one components.
I think I have succeded by implementing the following variations to the original AP setup:
1. In Setup -> Basic setup -> Shortcut Forwarding Engine is set to DISABLE
2. In Security -> Firewall -> SPI Firewall is set to ENABLE
Block WAN Requests -> Filter Multicast is CHECKED
All other options are UNCHECKED or DISABLED

With the above mentioned setup, the AP has been having the load almost zero for the past 3-4 days with a device connecte via cable to it.

I would really appreciate if anyone would be able to confirm my observations and tests or at least, this might be useful for someone in the same position like me, who has been struggling with this bug.

Thank you!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you're not testing 47305 or a build from this year and are adamant on staying on an old build that's entirely on you. I am currently running 47305 on a TL-WR940Nv3. TL-WR1043NDv2, and TL-WA901NDv2 without issue.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
killian7603
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey kernel-panic69,

Thanks for the prompt response!!!

As I explained I am using TL-WR940N v2.1. Since there have been no official build for the v2 of this router, I used a patched version for TL-WR841ND v8 (same hardware) r27506 years ago by someone from this forum and it worked. Furthermore it has been working with the further development updates for TL-WR841ND v8. Until I killed one test router with the update post r34080. This made me stop trying to push further update in fear of perhaps killing more routers.
Therefore, it is not a question of sticking to that old version, rather than fear of unrecoverable loss of hardware due to some incompatibility with the latest updates.
Again, the DD-WRT version was originally built for TL-WR841ND v8, but someone patched it and it was working just perfectly with everything, except this recent odd behaviour with the cable connected device.
I must emphasize, that this issue appears only when the router is in WDS mode as an AP as this built was used as well with the same hardware in a Gateway scenario with several cable attached devices without any issue what so ever.

I appreciate that this is quite old build, but since there were many of those boxes around the market - there are big chances that someone may run in the same situation with same scenario.

Thanks!
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
killian7603 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Have 2 x TL-WR940N v2.1 running DD-WRT r34080 in WDS mode as per original instructions taken from this forum.
I have added few small tweaks taken from here and there to resolve issues like LAN devices seeing each other and reatempt of time update after a sudden reboot.
I would really appreciate if anyone would be able to confirm my observations and tests or at least, this might be useful for someone in the same position like me, who has been struggling with this bug.

Thank you!

The last reported good build I remember for this unsupported device version is firmware r41791 for WR841ND v8 hardware if you want to try newer build (updated from the Kryptex patched WR841ND factory to ddwrt build). Maybe someone here runs that combination. Cannot remember if the update was flashed via GUI or CLI.

Last edited by servicetech on Mon Sep 06, 2021 15:26; edited 2 times in total
killian7603
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi servicetech,

Thank you!

I would certainly get that built and would brace for another loss (just in case) and report once have results. It might take me some time however since would have to free a box for the sake of the test.

Once again thank you both and hopefully this discussion helps someone else too!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unofficially supported routers would likely have issue because they were never ported properly and likely the hexedit patches were incomplete. There are a few places of interest that you must hexedit for proper support AFAIK. It would be great to have an entire list of all these low-bang routers that are not officially supported so I could send info to BS and also examine the files. Good intentions sometimes tend to create havoc.

----------------------
killian7603
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi kernel-panic69,

thank you for the support!

I totally agree!

There is no discontent in me what so ever!!! I purely was trying to make use of some otherwise useless hardware and wanted to check if by any chance anyone has come across similar issue.
I am fully aware that I am doing this at my own risk and with all the consequences included.
So I hope, noone would take my posts as criticism - purely curiousity and sharing experience.

On more positive note - servicetech's suggestion for the built r41791 worked on an already configured box (running as a simple AP - no WDS involved), running 34080 (No factory reset before the firmware update was applied) The firmware was updated via GUI and it is stable for the past 3 days. I haven't tried yet with the WDS scenario as I am away from the boxes and don't want to risk it if it all goes south. However, I shall replicate the scenario on other two identical boxes and shall report as soon as I have viable results.

Thank you all!!! This forum has always been a priceless source of ideas and guidance!!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would have to have a guinea pig 940v2/941v5 to test a more complete hexedit with; but I think just changing the bits that was done by LOM and Kryptex (with the old DD header) may not have been a complete solution. I have a factory-to-ddwrt.bin and webflash.bin from today's release that I could post, but caveat emptor if I do.

----------------------
killian7603
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,

As I promised, I am coming back with results on the rogue TL-WR940N v2.1 running DD-WRT r34080 in WDS mode.

After following servicetech's advise, I updated the overloading WDS AP to r41791 without resettting. The update went smoothly, but the overloading issue remained. Then I took the liberty to Factory Reset the box and set fresh on build r41791. However, after establishing the WDS connectivity the overload again reproduced. However, I have noticed much higher overload compared to r34080, reaching values of 10!!!
Then, since I was already lost for options, decided to take the oposite direction and instead of upgrading the builds to go for downgrade.
I used one tested and reliable build: r32170
Loaded it on the box and loaded it with the original settings of build r34080. Now for almost 2 days it is running relatively smooth with occasional peaks of overload to 1, but no crashes, reboots, freezes or anything abnormal.
I am tempted to go all the way down to the original patched version r27506 (I believe) just for the sake of the testing, but I am not sure if I am going to have time and especially causing downtime for the system to test that.

I hope the above helps anyone in similar situation and/or if anyone comes across this and has any suggestion - feel free to comment.

Thank you!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the info. I don't use any of these type of devices for WDS mode, so I wouldn't know if there is a loading issue or not, but thanks for the feedback.

----------------------
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: