Issues with TP-Link WDR4900 Client Mode & Reset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
zamar19
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 16:01    Post subject: Issues with TP-Link WDR4900 Client Mode & Reset Reply with quote
TP-Link WDR4900 V1.3
DD-WRT r47381 beta

1. When 5Hgz Wlan on the TPL router is set to Client Mode, and 2.4Hgz Wlan to AP Mode, the Client router can't connect to WiFi cable modem & router (Access Point) stably. The connection is established for 2 sec and then dropped immediately (see pic). Channel field remains empty in wlan0 Wireless Status once dropped. When tryin to connect, the router log says
Quote:
wlan0: association with be:4d:fk:43:16:10 timed out

Somewhat similar to https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/4710 ticket, but hitting Apply again after reboot results in 2sec connection to the modem, then it drops.

Also, the modem-router for some reason connects to the TPL AP as a client, despite WPA passwords are different for both Client-Router and AP-Router.

2. When 2.4Ghz wlan is set to Client, and 5Ghz wlan to AP, both appear properly in Wireless Status, with Access Point (modem-router)connected and its channel shown, and TPL WiFi AP working locally. But there is NO internet access from a PC wire hooked to the TPL client router. I followed DD-WRT Client Mode Forum Wiki to the letter.

3. Reset to Factory Defaults in Administration tab doesn't work. Upon clicking it and reboot ALL previous settings are preserved. On a wire connected PC I cleared Firefox cash and cookies, but no difference.

4. Reset button on the router doesn't work at all.

Can the above issues be fixed?
May be I should change some Advanced Wireless settings for wlan0 5Ghz to work properly as a Client?
Why there is no internet access for 2.4 Ghz in Client Router mode, despite WPA settings and password match the modem-router, and Firewalls on the PC and the router are off?[/url]
Sponsor
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is this a clean install from stock firmware or an upgrade from a previous version of DD-WRT? What was the result of logging in via telnet or ssh and issuing an 'nvram erase && reboot'? Did you consult the QCA wireless settings wiki for information about information pertaining to client modes and what settings are recommended?
zamar19
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was a clean install after reverting from a much earlier DD-WRT version to factory stock and reset to factory defaults. Didn't try Telnet commands, did webupdate instead from last previous to the latest DD-WRT beta with reset to defaults at update. It worked, but the latest build has same above issues as the previous one. Will study QCA Wiki and try changes.
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
It would be a good idea to do a hard reset ('nvram erase && reboot') if there is a large gap in build versions; nvram variables may have changed. These variables are checked and written at boot and sometimes using the reset to defaults after flashing doesn't quite work as expected.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 18:36    Post subject: Re: Issues with TP-Link WDR4900 Client Mode & Reset Reply with quote
zamar19 wrote:
TP-Link WDR4900 V1.3
DD-WRT r47381 beta

1. When 5Hgz Wlan on the TPL router is set to Client Mode, and 2.4Hgz Wlan to AP Mode, the Client router can't connect to WiFi cable modem & router (Access Point) stably. The connection is established for 2 sec and then dropped immediately (see pic). Channel field remains empty in wlan0 Wireless Status once dropped. When tryin to connect, the router log says
Quote:
wlan0: association with be:4d:fk:43:16:10 timed out

Somewhat similar to https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/4710 ticket, but hitting Apply again after reboot results in 2sec connection to the modem, then it drops.

Also, the modem-router for some reason connects to the TPL AP as a client, despite WPA passwords are different for both Client-Router and AP-Router.

2. When 2.4Ghz wlan is set to Client, and 5Ghz wlan to AP, both appear properly in Wireless Status, with Access Point (modem-router)connected and its channel shown, and TPL WiFi AP working locally. But there is NO internet access from a PC wire hooked to the TPL client router. I followed DD-WRT Client Mode Forum Wiki to the letter.

3. Reset to Factory Defaults in Administration tab doesn't work. Upon clicking it and reboot ALL previous settings are preserved. On a wire connected PC I cleared Firefox cash and cookies, but no difference.

4. Reset button on the router doesn't work at all.

Can the above issues be fixed?
May be I should change some Advanced Wireless settings for wlan0 5Ghz to work properly as a Client?
Why there is no internet access for 2.4 Ghz in Client Router mode, despite WPA settings and password match the modem-router, and Firewalls on the PC and the router are off?[/url]

sound all just like a incorrect setup. and if i see a snr of 50 and above, its clear that the signal is fucked up high and cannot be with good quality. its like your client i 1 meter away from your ap. i can assure you that everything is okay with the client mode since i use that mode every day in stable setups. your problem can be anything. from bad networking setup to bad wifi config and also dont know what you are connecting to. even your ap can be the problem

its also clear if you are writing about curious connections even if passwords dont match that your wifi network setup must be definitly out of mind. sound like identical ssids with different passwords on different ap setups which cannot work stable of course. the client cannot decide which one is the correct one to connect

so make sure to setup your wifi devices correct with identical wpa setup's. make sure that the ip networks are not colliding between your ap and client. and please provide more configuration details in future. your description is technically too unspecific and is lacking all the important details.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 19:04    Post subject: Re: Issues with TP-Link WDR4900 Client Mode & Reset Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
and if i see a snr of 50 and above, its clear that the signal is fucked up high and cannot be with good quality. its like your client i 1 meter away from your ap.

I still have at 5m distance and with reduced transmitting power 50-55dB SNR

Well you can further reduce the transmit power on the AP but not on all other devices.

On the smartphone or a streaming stick this is somewhat difficult.

With a ceiling installation and 5m radius, the room is at least 100m² (do not think it is an unrealistic setup).

or where is my thinking error?
zamar19
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 19:24    Post subject: Re: Issues with TP-Link WDR4900 Client Mode & Reset Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
your description is technically too unspecific and is lacking all the important details.

Sorry for this, I can't compete with experts on specifics.

The TP-Link WDR4900 in Client mode 5Ghz is indeed in 5 meters away from the AP modem-router Hitron CGN3ACR. My PC is wire hooked to the TPL, and my wireless devices use the TPL 2.4 Ghz as AP. That's very basic network topology. Of course, TPL as Client uses a different WPA password to modem and matching the modem SSID compare to TPL as AP to my devices, because its the LAN segment I need to isolate from common premises WiFi.

Despite high SNR from the modem-router, all my WiFi devices and laptop connect and work just fine with it directly, but unfortunately they are subjected to local hacking attacks via common WiFi. Further the latest 2013 factory FW works just fine in the same setup in Client mode, but I doubt its security. May be someone can suggest a good working recent DD-WRT build for Client mode for WDR4900 v1.3?

The Telnet command 'nvram erase && reboot' indeed erases NVRAM fine as I checked. However, your criticism does not address the failure of DD-WRT "Reset to factory defaults' GUI button and the device Reset button to reset NVRAM. You also recently mentioned here https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1242930#1242930 to no longer having WDR4900 to test builds, yet assume that its Client mode still works fine (???).

I left Advanced Wireless Settings for both TPL Client and AP default controlled by GUI. Changing WiFi Network Mode (Mixed, etc) and Channel Width doesn't resolve the issue. I assume the Client channel is auto selected to match AP's, as there is no channel selection option in Client Mode, but I also manually selected it to match (or Auto) in AP mode, and that settings seems to stay in Client mode. May I kindly ask what exact details I'm still missing?

Last edited by zamar19 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 0:46; edited 2 times in total
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
d33b0_n4p41m wrote:
Did you consult the QCA wireless settings wiki for information about information pertaining to client modes and what settings are recommended?

zamar19 wrote:
I left Advanced Wireless Settings for both TPL Client and AP default controlled by GUI. Changing WiFi Network Mode (Mixed, etc) and Channel Width doesn't resolve the issue. I assume the Client channel is auto selected to match AP's, as there is no channel selection option in Client Mode, but I also manually selected it to match (or Auto) in AP mode, and that settings seems to stay in Client mode. May I kindly ask what exact details I'm still missing?

Is that a rhetorical question?
zamar19
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
d33b0_n4p41m wrote:
Is that a rhetorical question?

No, I've 3 posts on this forum, you - 65, and the dev has thousands of FW development hours. What data is important for him in this case? For me it was an expectation of everything just works out of the box, like Apple founder once cited, but it's a hard point to reach. My assumption is, all settings "important for Client mode" are autoset by GUI, when selecting the Client mode. Very Happy
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I pointed you to a resource of information. The default settings do not work well for client mode; this has been tested (by the community). The defaults are based on AP mode; to add code for what you desire will cut into firmware image sizes for lower-end devices. The UI is designed around a one-size-fits-all solution. Feel free to look into what patches would be required and submit them, if that is what you want.
----------
“Life is about moving on, accepting changes and looking forward to what makes you stronger and more complete.” ~ Anonymous
zamar19
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
d33b0_n4p41m wrote:
I pointed you to a resource of information.
QCA Wiki mostly aims at speed optimization. While in this case the connection btw AP and CL can't be established at all. I tried suggestions from that Wiki and some relevant thread(s), but any changes made didn't improve ability to stay connected.

I switched to 2.4 Ghz as CL to modem, and 5 Ghz as the segment AP, and the router got stable connection to the modem. Playing then with some DNS settings allowed to get internet access. Next would be speed optimization tests.

But I rather need it vice versa: 5Ghz as CL to the modem, and 2.4 Ghz as the segment AP for faster speeds via wired PC connection to the TPL. Indeed the issue seems not limited or even related to QCA, but possibly to settings in a number of DD-WRT tabs, which require understanding first.

Can't find any "WDR4900 as Wireless Client" thread on the topic. Its looks like one needs Advanced Networking certificate just to get the Client router connected to modem AP.
zamar19
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Strange that while TPL router is connected as a Client on wlan1 2.4 Ghz to the modem-router AP, the modem-router got connected back as a Client on wlan0 5Ghz to the TPL router as the segment Wireless AP. Is that normal for Wireless Client mode due to internal vlan1, vlan2 bridge br0? It sound strange, as the modem-router doesn't even know WPA password of the TPL as segment AP.

Last edited by zamar19 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 15:38; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, all of the wiki prods for "use this for client mode, use this for AP mode" just didn't register from the wiki. Ok. Now, you're going to have to post screenshots of what this boggle is with your main router connecting to your 5GHz AP as a client and such is all about. If there is any applicable screenshots you can provide from your main modem/router as well as your DD-WRT router, that would be awesome.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
zamar19
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
post screenshots

The router UI screenshots show AP and Client, but the modem UI can only show Clients, since the modem-router is not supposed to connect to another Wireless AP as a Client (at least no such feature in its public UI). I cleared Firefox cache, so these are current pics.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
The wireless status pages from DD-WRT clearly show that both of those entries are from wlan1. That part of the page doesn't differentiate between wlan0 and wlan1, if I am not mistaken. There isn't an issue; you're just getting confused.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: