R7450 Installation and Setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
ScottK123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:50    Post subject: R7450 Installation and Setup Reply with quote
turbowells wrote:
Router/Version: Netgear R7450 (Displays as Netgear R6800)

Picked this up to replace the ASUS RT-N66U I've used for many years. Seemed unstable initially, but seems to be running fine right now.

I just picked a couple of these up (Netgear R7450), as well, I assume probably from the same deal...

I will be installing this as well, but I was curious if you know how to go back to the original Netgear firmware, if it is ever needed.

I couldn't really figure out based on the docs on how it would be done.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
ScottK123 wrote:
turbowells wrote:

Picked this up to replace the ASUS RT-N66U I've used for many years. Seemed unstable initially, but seems to be running fine right now.

I just picked a couple of these up (Netgear R7450), as well, I assume probably from the same deal...

I will be installing this as well, but I was curious if you know how to go back to the original Netgear firmware, if it is ever needed.

I couldn't really figure out based on the docs on how it would be done.

its easy read Netgear TFTP on google.... Cool

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
ScottK123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
its easy read Netgear TFTP on google.... Cool

Ah, thank you for the breadcrumb!

You are right, it really is easy isn't it.
Sorry for the noise!
tinkerrelax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 14:18    Post subject: DD-WRT v3.0-r47381 not stable on Netgear R7450 Reply with quote
I picked up refurbished Netgear R7450 during recent Walmart clearance deal.

I have been using DD-WRT for few years now (earlier router was TP-Link) and quite comfortable with the basic setup.

So I flashed Netgear R7450 with latest beta of DD-WRT v3.0-r47381. After initial WiFi SSID/Security setup, it worked fine for few hours before breaking internet access.

Restart doesn't help, only reset or clearing NVRAM helps. Every time internet stops working after few hours. I don't know if something is wrong with this build, my setup or the hardware itself.

To confirm that its not hardware issue, I also tried to do TFTP but unable to push the NetGear stock firmware on the router.

Any recommendations to try?

File: r7450-webflash.bin
Firmware Version: DD-WRT v3.0-r47381 std (09/08/21)
Kernel Version: Linux 4.14.246 #1569 SMP Wed Sep 8 06:22:48 +07 2021 mips
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Perhaps nmrpflash will work on the MediaTek routers as well as it does on Broadcom; but you should not need it. Timing is everything when putting the router into TFTP mode.
turbowells
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 22:53    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT v3.0-r47381 not stable on Netgear R7450 Reply with quote
tinkerrelax wrote:

Restart doesn't help, only reset or clearing NVRAM helps. Every time internet stops working after few hours. I don't know if something is wrong with this build, my setup or the hardware itself.

To confirm that its not hardware issue, I also tried to do TFTP but unable to push the NetGear stock firmware on the router. ...

I'll add that I saw something similar today. After ~24 hours of operation, 2.4 Ghz stopped working. Hard to connect and when it did connect, no internet access. Wired and 5Ghz continued to work fine.

I reset NVRAM, rebooted, and restored the backup configuration. Been running for ~6 hours.

I did some testing and was unable to get tftp to work. I've done it a lot in the past on a variety or routers.
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
The first link does not tell you about setting anticipation window of 1024 or retries, etc. when using tftpd32 or tftpd64.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

You could also try the DrayTek firmware upgrade tool on Windows, or even the Linksys GUI TFTP client.

Sometimes, even an unmanaged switch between PC and router will help (especially with Windows).

I am in no way implying that anyone in this thread doesn't know what they are doing, whatsoever. ^_^
tinkerrelax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to use nmrpflash and put stock netgear firmware back on R7450. Initially I had similar broken internet issue on netgear latest firmware. I did 30 second reset and it has been working for last ~5 hours. I will update the forum in case internet issue persist with stock firmware.
ScottK123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I am planning to use this R7450 as just an AP.

Per the page here:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_access_point#Access_Point_.28AP.29_instructions

It says that I should change the "WAN Connection Type" to "Disabled.

When I do that, it should open up a few new items, for example, the "Assign WAN Port to Switch".

However, my page does not display that option, even after saving/applying and rebooting.

It also doesn't have correct options in "Network Settings", that are suggested would be there.

Also, I don't have an option of turning off (Disable) the "DHCP Server".
I only have the options of "DHCP Server" or "DHCP Forwarder"...

I don't know if this is just because that wiki page
is out of date?

Or if this is a UI bug of some sort?

I have done a small screenshot of what I see, and have attached it here, (hopefully).
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Was the enable/disable dhcp server visible before you set the wan to disabled? "Assign WAN port to switch" no longer exists and hasn't for several releases; will need to annotate that in the wiki at some point. And FYI I split your discussion off the build thread as that is not the place for all of this. I would recommend resetting to defaults and starting over; you may have to change the order of the procedure as I do not recall if some devices automatically disable all that or if something else has changed without researching it.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ScottK123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Was the enable/disable dhcp server visible before you set the wan to disabled? "Assign WAN port to switch" no longer exists and hasn't for several releases; will need to annotate that in the wiki at some point. And FYI I split your discussion off the build thread as that is not the place for all of this. I would recommend resetting to defaults and starting over; you may have to change the order of the procedure as I do not recall if some devices automatically disable all that or if something else has changed without researching it.

Sorry, I keep jumping the gun too early.

When I switched it back to "DHCP Server", I now see the option to enable/disable it.
(I was expecting it as an option in the "DHCP Type", so this one is totally my fault, I should have looked harder!)

Anyway, I believe everything is OK now.

(I used to use DD-WRT a long time ago, but haven't for a number of years, so getting back into it, I have forgotten where everything was located)

Thanks again for all your help!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
That was the other thing that kind of escaped my grasp on the possibility of it just being a matter of toggling forwarder/server Embarassed When you're dealing with about a dozen different UI layouts on a daily basis, sometimes things escape your reach Cool Glad you got it sorted.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
turbowells
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 13:02    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT v3.0-r47381 not stable on Netgear R7450 Reply with quote
turbowells wrote:
I'll add that I saw something similar today. After ~24 hours of operation, 2.4 Ghz stopped working. Hard to connect and when it did connect, no internet access. Wired and 5Ghz continued to work fine.

I reset NVRAM, rebooted, and restored the backup configuration. Been running for ~6 hours.

Just to update, the 2.4Ghz issue reappeared after a day or so.

I've re-installed my original router and have this unit downstream of it in hopes of capturing any data. Unfortunately, I don't want to break it open for a serial connection as I might need to return it.
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is why it would be great for those routers that have the flash space to have something installed like ser2net so that the serial console is available by proxy. Of course, it would have to be considered to lock this access down to specific clients, of course ^_^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: