[solved] Make another social spot for dd-wrt?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
@KP69 It is definitely NOT my goal to get brainslayer more involved. He has a life.

I forgot to include question mark in my title post so despite what I said in my first post, I am under the impression that everyone here thinks I am demanding a discord server when I am instead trying to explore the idea with others here about having a discord server.

Sorry if I sounded hostile. Its a bad habit I am trying to put away.

I googled and also made a test server just to be sure, but you can setup a discord server for free. I do not see any catches what-so-ever but I am open to being shown them here.

Discord does preserve messages and even new members can still see old messages that were posted there before they joined. It also have a much more effective search than this forums site.

I am NOT saying we should abandon the forums here.

While the idea I have about Discord is to have a more "general discussion" revolved around dd-wrt, it could also be more useful for the the commonly asked questions that kernalpanic69 keeps locking up in the forums here. such as the "What router should I buy?" questions.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
NOTE: Sorry, it was like a redundant and out-of-context-after-edit thing that was unnecessary. I removed the confusion and re-posted.

That went right over my head. Could you clarify what you mean by that?

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
Sponsor
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
If there's a poll for discord, I'll vote "no".

TL;DR: I had bad experiences with discord community & forums format is more appropriate for this kind of content.

The last time I joined the official XDA-Developers discord channel for MIUI, I saw a bunch of active users there and I hoped to get more advice about rooting my phone because in XDA forums there're zero posts for my phone model and I started a thread but there's no reply. What I got from discord was a lame joke. Well, one can say it's still better than the zero replies in the forum.
Then I realize: not all active users in discord can give credible answers. My question can be easily flooded by other random messages of other users, who knows if it can reach the intended readers?
Also, it's kind of impossible to post long content in discord. Most of the time we need to provide more details for the question we're asking, such as the hardware/firmware version, usage context, steps to reproduce the issue, logs, screenshots... How to do that in discord/facebook/twitter/tiktok/instagram/snapchat...? The more messages are posted there, the more jumbled up they become. However, with the forums format, each topic is in a separate thread, and after one glance at the topic then the user can decide whether they want to click to open the topic and join the discussion (like how I arrived here).
Side thought: good forums need good moderators. Nowadays I rarely view any content from answers.microsoft.com because some MVP will promptly join the discussion & advice to run checkdisk, sfc /scannow & reinstall Windows.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:
NOTE: Sorry, it was like a redundant and out-of-context-after-edit thing that was unnecessary. I removed the confusion and re-posted.

That went right over my head. Could you clarify what you mean by that?

Your response that I removed was to the original incarnation of my earlier post and completely irrelevant in context. I don't know how to make it any more plain than that.

Anyhow, yes, we can set up a Discord for "free" (as I discovered later), but does it reside on their system or the end-user's system that creates the "server"? Again, you're the only proponent of this idea so far. My locking those threads is in no way an intention to seem un-friendly, it's just that the whole premise of "what do you recommend?" leaves an open door to a cesspool of discussion that is literally pointless more often than not. You could go to a car show and get 1000 different opinions about one single bolt on a car. That all being said, if you want to champion this cause and take it upon yourself to be the owner and moderator of it and deal with all the nonsense, be my guest.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Anyhow, yes, we can set up a Discord for "free" (as I discovered later), but does it reside on their system or the end-user's system that creates the "server"? Again, you're the only proponent of this idea so far. My locking those threads is in no way an intention to seem un-friendly, it's just that the whole premise of "what do you recommend?" leaves an open door to a cesspool of discussion that is literally pointless more often than not. You could go to a car show and get 1000 different opinions about one single bolt on a car. That all being said, if you want to champion this cause and take it upon yourself to be the owner and moderator of it and deal with all the nonsense, be my guest.

It would reside on their server.

I don't have a problem with you locking those threads. I was trying to make the question itself look so annoying that its come to you having to lock them up.

I do not think I can which is why I instead made this thread to explore the idea of a discord server.

I have had moments where I had these ideas that I meditated on for a while but when its all been tried and done,

Quote:
It was a great idea on paper, but awful in practice

Discord would make a great live environment for people to come together and take a detailed look at each dd-wrt build that comes out and has this one specific problem that ends up having its own thread.

dd-wrt webgui issues on apple devices for example.

Or messing with dd-wrt together. seeing what this firmware can really do.

But all those ideas end up becoming fantasy when I remember the way people truly are when you actually bring them over and see things go the way you didnt expect. I mean this in a bad way.

Sorry for wasting server resources talking about this.

barryware wrote:

Internet Connection 1

Internet connection 2

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Everything you're proposing as a "pro" for having it is available here, save and except for "real-time" discussion, which is available on IRC. Unless folks chime in as proponents, I see no reason to bother unless you're going to take the ball and run with it. It's not my responsibility and I'm sure folks would rather I not be involved Rolling Eyes Cool Twisted Evil

----------------------
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
So, the channels are there, but no activity, is that what you're saying? Is there anyone even in the userlist?
Quote:
You must use TLS/SSL and authenticate via SASL to connect to freenode please visit https://irc.com/login/sso in order to create an account. SASL Configuration: https://freenode.net/kb/answer/sasl - Webchat: https://webchat.freenode.net/

Only thing I noticed that really needs editing is the part where it talks about the forum, so far.

Im saying freenode is not (should not anymore be) an option for regular folk, they will only accept new registrations from their app for new nicks and then only sasl, they dont even accept SSL connections without SASL, They didn't anywho if thats changed in the last 5 minutes IDK.
Plus they dumped the user database to force people into using their apps, sorry I find this highly suspicious and possibly used to gather user data to sell to some 3rd party or use for the other services they have that can be monetized.

Libera unofficial are an alternative IRC wise, I personally dont like it, too much drama and trolls, but discord, why? I have a server there just for convenience of chatting with some devs in real time.

Imo - matrix via element is better, a modern platform with the option to have or not an added layer of encryption and least of all it has bridges to every other chat platform including Discord/IRC, while Discord/IRC/others dont.

If I had to choose, matrix/element has the broader reach and is modern/free as in free beer for the most part.

TL;DR freenode aka the Joseon Empire can stick it. OFTC is better and drama free. Sadly not troll free.

dd-wrt webgui issues on apple devices for example.

Im mildly curious for obvious reasons, but I cant afford anything like Apple to test/fix, if devices means phones/tablets especially (Id doubt safari on desktop has issues and besides there are other browsers for macOS IOS etc). So discussion of such issues becomes meaningless because nothing can be practically done about it.

Now if you said, oh Ill buy you such device and send it to ya. OK, great, and then what of fixing one specific platform breaks others? Wack a mole UI wise is not fun. Reminds me of trying to design websites for browsers that didn't support any CSS standards and what it supported was badly implemented, IE anyone?

So any mobile devices browsers cant be comparable to their desktop counterparts, they always leave out something important and thus you have to write specific code for it in some cases.

I'de still like to know more about such issues just for the fun of it to begin with.
I have a thread you can talk about it, I dont mind see this thread

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
@the-joker

IIRC, people thought dd-wrt had a bad webgui when it was actually google chrome and apple itself. Apple being "any web browser you run on an apple computer"

webgui works better in firefox and other non-chromium browsers.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=325589

-anyway-

What you suggested does sound like something I am willing to look into.

Its like I want this secondary social spot, but I am worried that it might either be empty most of the time or be filled with the wrong kinds of people.

barryware wrote:

Internet Connection 1

Internet connection 2

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let's have 20 accounts just to collaborate. Holy ADHD, Batman. Personally, anything that reduces traffic to this forum is going to be catch-22 IMHO.

----------------------
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Let's have 20 accounts just to collaborate.

Why does this remind me of my work (starting to have PTSD)... Every project has a different system (or instance) and then they have multiple channels, none of them connected... and information is on one but not the other, then we run into what is the authoritative (correct) source...

DD-WRT struggles with that now, think of all the confusion with the router-database already
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I poked around Discord and didn't find anything and relented to not setting up a server. I'm okay with whatever people seem to think is an option, however, everything should point back to the wiki and forum and help improve both resources, IMHO.

----------------------
the-joker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I vote Matrix via element or whatever app/browser that has less Smile features and supports matrix that you guys prefer.

Did I say I vote for matrix?

Wheres the poll?

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
I vote Matrix via element or whatever app/browser that has less Smile features and supports matrix that you guys prefer.

Did I say I vote for matrix?

Wheres the poll?

didnt make one. Figured we could try coming up with a few with me coming up with discord as a start and then just going from there.

So far, matrix sounds like a good one though I have not gone to check it out.

barryware wrote:

Internet Connection 1

Internet connection 2

the-joker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
webgui works better in firefox and other non-chromium browsers. https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=325589

Well, I actually test Goggle Chrome, Firefox (main) and Edge Chromium on Windows Desktop and only FF and Chrome Laptop Linux 1080p pva panel so crap for colors it sucks. It was cheap and for text based stuff 90% of the time. And besides Its always good to have tech that most ppl use.

None show the dd-wrt you describe, perhaps screenshots?

https://matrix.org/docs/projects/client/element check it out you can be there and on any platform from there via bridges, no other offers this. https://matrix.org/bridges/

Edit added matrix invite to style-it themes channel
Code:
https://matrix.to/#/!VkLmFeVXYAJKFhoOus:matrix.org?via=matrix.org

Enjoy

Last edited by the-joker on Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:30; edited 1 time in total
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is a reason why I posted the link in my previous post.

This incident happened before you came on board and has nothing to do with your themes but instead of dd-wrts webgui interface in general vs. Chromium/Apple based software environments.

barryware wrote:

Internet Connection 1

Internet connection 2

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chrome and (newer) Safari issues seem to be going away slowly, but surely (although I never had the issues with iOS/iPadOS or Big Sur). Biggest bit of sound advice: Use a *completely* separate browser in Incognito/Private mode, no add-ons or extensions and your headaches with the webUI won't be many. I will say this: A lot of the CSS issues are starting to dissipate... big thanks to the-j0ker. We cannot thank you enough for your work!

I will wait for dust to settle on matrix/discord/tin cans and barbed wire.

----------------------
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: