'wl mac & macmode' not working (nor MAC filter) [SOLVED]

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
puterboy2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
Well if that is the problem it would be easy to correct Smile

I think the following examples *prove* that the macmode and maclist for the virtual interfaces are overwriting the macmode and maclist for the associated physical interfaces.

First, if I unset the nvram parameter wl0_vifs (which is the virtual interface associated with eth1 = wl0), by executing:
nvram unset wl0_vifs
then running 'wlconf eth1 up' no longer zeroes out the 'macmode' and 'maclist' entries as confirmed by running 'wl -i eth1 macmode' and 'wl -i eth1 mac' (note I am using a version of wl that I copied from an older Kong firmware that includes the 'macmode' and 'mac' functions)

This presumably works because wlconf then no longer adds the virtual interface wl0.1 associated with the physical interfaces eth1=wl0 to the list (bclist) of interfaces to configure (see excerpted source code below).

Second, alternatively, if I manually create and set new 'macmode' and 'maclist' nvram parameters for wl0.1 (they are not normally set), by executing
nvram set wl0.1_macmode=$(nvram get wl0_macmode)
nvram set wl0.1_maclist="$(nvram get wl0_maclist)"
then running 'wlconf -i eth1' no longer zeros out the 'macmode' and 'maclist' for eth1=wl0 as confirmed by running 'wl -i eth1 macmode' and 'wl -i eth1 mac'

Again this suggests that wlconf first sets the 'macmode' and 'maclist' for eth1 = wl0 based on wl0_macmode and wl0_maclist and then goes back and overwrites it with the 'macmode' and 'maclist' entries for wl0.1 based on wl0.1_macmode and wl0.1_maclist which are normally unset.

The following code associates each virtual interfaces with the underlying physical interface.
Code:

/* additional virtual BSS Configs from wlX_vifs */
   if (nvram_default_match(strcat_r(prefix, "mode", tmp),"ap","ap") || nvram_match(strcat_r(prefix, "mode", tmp),"apsta") || nvram_match(strcat_r(prefix, "mode", tmp),"apstawet"))
   {
   foreach(var, nvram_safe_get(strcat_r(prefix, "vifs", tmp)), next) {
      if (bclist->count == WL_MAXBSSCFG) {
         WLCONF_DBG("wlconf(%s): exceeded max number of BSS Configs (%d)"
                    "in nvram %s\n"
                    "while configuring interface \"%s\"\n",
                    ifname, WL_MAXBSSCFG, strcat_r(prefix, "vifs", tmp), var);
         continue;
      }
      bsscfg = &bclist->bsscfgs[bclist->count];
      if (get_ifname_unit(var, NULL, &bsscfg->idx) != 0) {
         WLCONF_DBG("wlconfg(%s): unable to parse unit.subunit in interface "
                    "name \"%s\"\n",
                    ifname, var);
         continue;
      }
      strncpy(bsscfg->ifname, var, PREFIX_LEN-1);
      snprintf(bsscfg->prefix, PREFIX_LEN, "%s_", bsscfg->ifname);
      bclist->count++;
   }

These interfaces are then added to the structure 'bclist'

The following code then sets the macmode and maclist for each interface in bclist, presumably causing each virtual interfaces to overwrite the macmode and maclist for the underlying physical interfaces that were previously set.

Code:

for (i = 0; i < bclist->count; i++) {
      struct {int bsscfg_idx; int enable;} setbuf;
      char vifname[VIFNAME_LEN];
      char *name_ptr = name;

setbuf.bsscfg_idx = bclist->bsscfgs[i].idx;
      setbuf.enable = 1;

/* NAS runs if we have an AKM or radius authentication */
      nas_will_run = wlconf_akm_options(bclist->bsscfgs[i].prefix) ||
              nvram_default_match(strcat_r(bclist->bsscfgs[i].prefix, "auth_mode", tmp),
                          "radius","disabled");

/* Set the MAC list */
      maclist = (struct maclist *)buf;
      maclist->count = 0;
      if (!nvram_match(strcat_r(bsscfg->prefix, "macmode", tmp), "disabled")) {
         ea = maclist->ea;
         foreach(var, nvram_safe_get(strcat_r(bsscfg->prefix, "maclist", tmp)),
            next) {
            if (((char *)((&ea[1])->octet)) > ((char *)(&buf[sizeof(buf)])))
               break;
            if (ether_atoe(var, ea->octet)) {
               maclist->count++;
               ea++;
            }
         }
      }

if (setbuf.bsscfg_idx == 0) {
         name_ptr = name;
      } else { /* Non-primary BSS; changes name syntax */
         char tmp[VIFNAME_LEN];
         int len;

/* Remove trailing _ if present */
         memset(tmp, 0, sizeof(tmp));
         strncpy(tmp, bsscfg->prefix, VIFNAME_LEN - 1);
         if (((len = strlen(tmp)) > 0) && (tmp[len - 1] == '_')) {
            tmp[len - 1] = 0;
         }
         nvifname_to_osifname(tmp, vifname, VIFNAME_LEN);
         name_ptr = vifname;
      }

WL_IOCTL(name_ptr, WLC_SET_MACLIST, buf, sizeof(buf));

/* Set macmode for each VIF */
      (void) strcat_r(bsscfg->prefix, "macmode", tmp);

if (nvram_match(tmp, "deny"))
         val = WLC_MACMODE_DENY;
      else if (nvram_match(tmp, "allow"))
         val = WLC_MACMODE_ALLOW;
      else
         val = WLC_MACMODE_DISABLED;

WL_IOCTL(name_ptr, WLC_SET_MACMODE, &val, sizeof(val));

So bottom line, the code needs to be adjusted so that the virtual interfaces don't overwrite the macmode and maclist for the associated physical interfaces.

Now the underlying problem may be that that WL_IOCTL doesn't differentiate between virtual and physical interfaces...
Sponsor
puterboy2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
The above suggests that running the following simple hack at startup will solve the problem until wlconf is properly fixed.

Code:

wlconf eth1 up

nvram set wl1.1_macmode=$(nvram get wl1_macmode)
nvram set wl1.1_maclist="$(nvram get wl1_maclist)"
wlconf eth2 up

Note that this is simpler than the hack I created two years ago (see https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329902) when I first encountered the problem and it doesn't require 'wl' to have the 'maclist' and 'mac' functions.

Alternatively, you could just run the above once followed by 'nvram commit' but just remember to do this after every change to the MAC filter list.

Last edited by puterboy2 on Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:38; edited 1 time in total
puterboy2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have confirmed that the above startup hack works on all of my Netgear R6700v3 routers.

- 2 are running latest r41742
- 2 are running old Kong r40270M
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't feel like doing a diff of these in how it would relate to this issue:

https://repo.or.cz/w/tomato.git/blob/7f0c8884e9fe39cf7634d3adda8ef2c19e177039:/release/src-rt/wlconf/wlconf.c (c) 2009

https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/blob/master/src/router/wlconf/wlconf.c (c) 2006

https://bitbucket.org/pedro311/freshtomato-arm/src/arm-master/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/router/wlconf_arm/wlconf.c (c) 2015

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
puterboy2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just realized that my hack may be problematic in that it enforces the same MAC Filtering on the virtual interface as well which may not be what you want for a guest network...

So, we really need to fix wlconf so that it treats the physical interface (e.g., wl0) and the virtual interface (e.g., eth1) separately.

Again the manual 'wl' command proves that the physical and virtual interfaces can be set separately.

So the code for wlconf just needs to be fixed...
puterboy2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 20:56    Post subject: BUG FOUND AND SOLVED (I think) WITH PATCH ATTACHED Reply with quote
EGC added some debugging code to wlconf.c that helped me confirm the error which then motivated me to read through the wlconf.c code more thoroughly and find the bug. (THANKS EGC!!!!!)

The crux of the problem is that in the FOR loop that iterates through the physical and virtual interfaces corresponding to each physical interface, the macmode and maclist are all set to the value of the nvram macmode and maclist variables for the *last* interface.

So, if you have, for example, eth1 (wl0) and wl0.1, then both eth1 (wl0) and wl0.1 have their macmode and maclist set respectively according to the values of wl0.1_macmode and wl0.1_maclist respectively.

Of course, if there are no virtual interfaces, then everything works since there is only the physical interface (i.e. bclist->count = 1).

The problem is that in wlconf.c, the pointer 'bsscfg' (and in particular 'bsscfg->prefix') is set to '&bclist->bsscfgs[i]' in the prior FOR loop labeled "Security settings for each BSS Configuration" and exits the FOR loop set to "&bclist->bsscfgs[bclist->count -1]" (corresponding to the last interface).

This same pointer is used again in the following FOR loop labeled "Finally enable BSS Configs or Join BSS" where the macmode and maclist are set for each interface but it is never reassigned so it ends up always using the nvram values for the macmode and maclist of the last interface.

What you need to do is add the following to the assignments at the head of the FOR loop where the maclist and macmode are set, (say following the line "char *name_ptr = name")

Code:

bsscfg = &bclist->bsscfgs[i]

See attached patch...

See below for the full context of the code pulled from wlconf.c:
Code:

/* Security settings for each BSS Configuration */
      bsscfg = &bclist->bsscfgs[i];
      wlconf_security_options(name, bsscfg->prefix, bsscfg->idx, wet);
   }

#define VIFNAME_LEN 16

/*
    * Finally enable BSS Configs or Join BSS
    * AP: Enable BSS Config to bring AP up only when nas will not run
    * STA: Join the BSS regardless.
    */
      char *name_ptr = name;

setbuf.enable = 1;

"radius","disabled");

/* Set the MAC list */
      maclist->count = 0;
         ea = maclist->ea;
            next) {
               break;
               maclist->count++;
               ea++;
            }
         }
      }

name_ptr = name;
         char tmp[VIFNAME_LEN];
         int len;

tmp[len - 1] = 0;
         }
         name_ptr = vifname;
      }

val = WLC_MACMODE_DENY;
         val = WLC_MACMODE_ALLOW;
      else

patch.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  patch.zip
 Filesize:  378 Bytes
 Downloaded:  68 Time(s)

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
The problem was already fixed in a file I already linked. We just need to update to the (c)2015 version of the source code.

https://bitbucket.org/pedro311/freshtomato-arm/src/arm-master/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/router/wlconf_arm/wlconf.c

FYI, it is also in the 2009 version from the main Tomato repo.

https://repo.or.cz/w/tomato.git/blob/7f0c8884e9fe39cf7634d3adda8ef2c19e177039:/release/src-rt/wlconf/wlconf.c

Thanks for overlooking my earlier post Cool @egc: please verify that either version will work for us, please Very Happy

----------------------
puterboy2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:

Thanks for overlooking my earlier post Cool @egc: please verify that either version will work for us, please Very Happy

To be honest, it wasn't clear to me from your previous post that you were suggesting a solution.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
I don't feel like doing a diff of these in how it would relate to this issue:

https://repo.or.cz/w/tomato.git/blob/7f0c8884e9fe39cf7634d3adda8ef2c19e177039:/release/src-rt/wlconf/wlconf.c (c) 2009

https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/blob/master/src/router/wlconf/wlconf.c (c) 2006

https://bitbucket.org/pedro311/freshtomato-arm/src/arm-master/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/router/wlconf_arm/wlconf.c (c) 2015

as it seemed you weren't even sure it was related to this bug let alone suggesting that links 1 and 3 contained a fix. Given that the post was unclear (at least to me), I ended up just debugging the code myself -- though now of course I understand what you were referring to and would have saved time had I just done some diffs as you suggested.

But either way, it's pretty clear that your links #1 & #3 as well as my patch are identical and fix the problem -- though will be great to verify in practice.

Any reason why this bug that was fixed as far back as 2009 in the tomato code was never fixed in dd-wrt?
puterboy2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Regardless, the *cool* thing is that this suggests that if you use the CLI, wlconf (for the Broadcom chipset) can support distinct macmodes and maclists for each physical/virtual interface.

This could also be used (presumably) to get around the limitation of 64 MAC addresses per interfaces as one could create additional virtual interfaces - potentially all using the same SSID and wifi password as the original physical interface but having a different group of up to 64 MAC addresses. Then you could bridge the interfaces as necessary so that they can communicate with each other...

One would have to test this in practice though to see if it actually works Smile
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've emailed BrainSlayer, so to implement the 2009 or 2015 version is up to him. Of course, there was an obvious reason why I posted that information; but at the time, I wasn't going to examine the files closely, or participate further.

----------------------
puterboy2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I've emailed BrainSlayer, so to implement the 2009 or 2015 version is up to him.

Thanks! Smile
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are actually two wlconf files:
wlconf.c and wlconf_3.x.c

This last one is the one used for modern Broadcom Arm routers (like the R6400v2 or the R6700v3 @puterboy2 has).

The first one is for older Broadcom routers

Both should be patched I think Smile

I have made the patch according to @puterboy2's instructions and are now compiling will send it to @puterboy2 to test

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
puterboy2 wrote:
egc wrote:
Well if that is the problem it would be easy to correct Smile

I think the following examples *prove* that the macmode and maclist for the virtual interfaces are overwriting the macmode and maclist for the associated physical interfaces.

First, if I unset the nvram parameter wl0_vifs (which is the virtual interface associated with eth1 = wl0), by executing:
nvram unset wl0_vifs
then running 'wlconf eth1 up' no longer zeroes out the 'macmode' and 'maclist' entries as confirmed by running 'wl -i eth1 macmode' and 'wl -i eth1 mac' (note I am using a version of wl that I copied from an older Kong firmware that includes the 'macmode' and 'mac' functions)

This presumably works because wlconf then no longer adds the virtual interface wl0.1 associated with the physical interfaces eth1=wl0 to the list (bclist) of interfaces to configure (see excerpted source code below).

Second, alternatively, if I manually create and set new 'macmode' and 'maclist' nvram parameters for wl0.1 (they are not normally set), by executing
then running 'wlconf -i eth1' no longer zeros out the 'macmode' and 'maclist' for eth1=wl0 as confirmed by running 'wl -i eth1 macmode' and 'wl -i eth1 mac'

Again this suggests that wlconf first sets the 'macmode' and 'maclist' for eth1 = wl0 based on wl0_macmode and wl0_maclist and then goes back and overwrites it with the 'macmode' and 'maclist' entries for wl0.1 based on wl0.1_macmode and wl0.1_maclist which are normally unset.

The following code associates each virtual interfaces with the underlying physical interface.
Code:

/* additional virtual BSS Configs from wlX_vifs */
   if (nvram_default_match(strcat_r(prefix, "mode", tmp),"ap","ap") || nvram_match(strcat_r(prefix, "mode", tmp),"apsta") || nvram_match(strcat_r(prefix, "mode", tmp),"apstawet"))
   {
   foreach(var, nvram_safe_get(strcat_r(prefix, "vifs", tmp)), next) {
      if (bclist->count == WL_MAXBSSCFG) {
         WLCONF_DBG("wlconf(%s): exceeded max number of BSS Configs (%d)"
                    "in nvram %s\n"
                    "while configuring interface \"%s\"\n",
                    ifname, WL_MAXBSSCFG, strcat_r(prefix, "vifs", tmp), var);
         continue;
      }
      bsscfg = &bclist->bsscfgs[bclist->count];
      if (get_ifname_unit(var, NULL, &bsscfg->idx) != 0) {
         WLCONF_DBG("wlconfg(%s): unable to parse unit.subunit in interface "
                    "name \"%s\"\n",
                    ifname, var);
         continue;
      }
      strncpy(bsscfg->ifname, var, PREFIX_LEN-1);
      snprintf(bsscfg->prefix, PREFIX_LEN, "%s_", bsscfg->ifname);
      bclist->count++;
   }

These interfaces are then added to the structure 'bclist'

The following code then sets the macmode and maclist for each interface in bclist, presumably causing each virtual interfaces to overwrite the macmode and maclist for the underlying physical interfaces that were previously set.

Code:

char *name_ptr = name;

setbuf.enable = 1;

"radius","disabled");

/* Set the MAC list */
      maclist->count = 0;
         ea = maclist->ea;
            next) {
               break;
               maclist->count++;
               ea++;
            }
         }
      }

name_ptr = name;
         char tmp[VIFNAME_LEN];
         int len;

tmp[len - 1] = 0;
         }
         name_ptr = vifname;
      }

val = WLC_MACMODE_DENY;
         val = WLC_MACMODE_ALLOW;
      else

So bottom line, the code needs to be adjusted so that the virtual interfaces don't overwrite the macmode and maclist for the associated physical interfaces.

Now the underlying problem may be that that WL_IOCTL doesn't differentiate between virtual and physical interfaces...

no. read carefully thecode. name_ptr contains not the physical interface name if bsscfg idx is > 0. so its sets it individually for each bss instead of just the physical interface

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have to correct myself. your overlong explaination is basicly just a description for a small typo. i will review the code more. i found also other similar problems in it

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Should be fixed in the next release. The wlconf.c and wlconf_3.x.c are not 100% vanilla proprietary Broadcom as I found out from BrainSlayer.

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/47184

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/47185

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/47186

There was already an open thread about this issue, as well as a couple of tickets (which I closed in anticipation of this being resolved):

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=322166

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/4815

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6805

----------------------
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: