Beyond the basics ..... learning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Bruce Parker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 13:26    Post subject: Beyond the basics ..... learning Reply with quote
1) I'm trying to understand how my dd-wrt router hardware/firmware works.
2) I have the following home connections:
wall master socket(vodafone ISP) -> vodafone router 192.168.6.1 (media room) ->(wired connection) Linksys wrt3200ACM 192.168.2.1 (in my office)
3) dd-wrt: I'm presented with a miriad of things I don't understand vlan0, vlan1, eth0, eth1, ath0, ath1, br0 etc)
4) I get it all installed and working; do a backup of the settings; and, perform a router hardware reset. Just to make sure I can get it all back !!
5) I found this link extremely helpful explaining hardware architecture (though not my router)
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Default_internal_device_networks
6) Things are looking up in my quest for knowledge
7) It seems there are really two devices in my router box, a 'switch', and the 'router'.
8) It explains the mysterious interfaces vlan0, et0 etc
9) Now I'm feeling brave and look at the 'switch' configuration tab and, it appears, I can re-direct a WRT3200acm port direct to the WAN
That port is connected to my Ubuntu desktop machine
10) Now I think what will happen is that the port will get an IP address dynamically assigned from the vodafone router (192.168.6.xxx)
11) I reboot all routers and my PC.
12) My PC now has a private IP 169.xx.xx.xx (No WAN connection)
13) I log into the dd-wrt wirelessly through another Dell laptop XPS 13, Ubuntu
ssh -l root 192.168.2.1
14) I type 'route' and there is nothing routing anything except local stuff ( 2 entries)
15) I had previously done this on my working 'setup' and it provided a more comprehensive route table (multiple entries)
16) The only reason I went to dd-wrt was to use DnsMasq for local devices, that works, but I want to understand how dd-wrt works
and maybe become a bit more brave.
17) In general, what's happening here and where can I go to get help with my understanding.
I tried also justing adding 'br1' to see what happens and the same thing happened. I'm trying to learn !!
18) I think anyone who doesn't understand the 'hardware architecture' of their router doesn't have a chance with the WebGui interface.

** Just my humble opinion.
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: