How to make LOM's webrevert files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
osm0sis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 18:11    Post subject: How to make LOM's webrevert files Reply with quote
Hi all, looking into how to make "webrevert" files like LOM did in his thread, but for the Archer C7 v4 which doesn't have one yet.

From comparing the C7 v2 stock to LOM's webrevert and DD-WRT's factory-to-ddwrt to the std build it looks like the only important thing is adding the DD-WRT-like header to a stock image like:
Code:
00000000  48 44 52 30 1C 00 F8 00 2B CC 30 0F 01 00 01 00  HDR0..ø.+Ì0.....
00000010  1C 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00              ............

Has anyone tried to recreate this before and can verify? Could I just copy and paste the HDR from the latest DD-WRT to the latest stock, or is there a checksum and padding that would need to be fixed as well?

Last edited by osm0sis on Tue Aug 10, 2021 13:32; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Had you done a search on "how to create webrevert files"...

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=302851

You have the option of TFTP recovery on these devices that do not require modifying anything.

https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer_c7#installation_or_restore_with_tftp

In fact, TFTPD32/TFTPD64 log will tell you what filename it is looking for, or so I found out, but you can also use wireshark to verify, if needed. If you produce a usable revert file, I can add it to that thread.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
osm0sis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the link! I searched a little more and found the following for the TP-Link Archer C7v4 in the DD-WRT source:

https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/blob/master/src/router/Makefile.pb42#L1972-L1974

Which lead me to what appears to be the firmware bin creation utility here: https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/blob/master/src/router/tools/safeloader/tplink-safeloader.c

And the added DD-WRT header creation utility used for all non-broadcom here: https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/blob/master/opt/tools/trx_n.c

Presumably anyone who needed a webrevert for their devices could just grab the correct trx* source from DD-WRT's repo and build the utility, then sign the latest stock firmware bin using the Makefile trx command so DD-WRT will recognize it.

I'll give this a shot for my device next time I've got time to muck with compiles and router downtime. Wink
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
But the *recovery.bin files are for TFTP flashing, not webflashing.

----------------------
osm0sis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, that's the naming used by TFTP, but it also appears to just be the filename the DD-WRT build system uses as an interim before adding the trx "HDR0" header so that the WebUI will accept it.

As further evidence, I quickly found an example where the build script then just copies the trx_n signed and unsigned files over to the build server with their final DD-WRT names: https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/blob/master/src/router/configs/buildscripts/build_archerc7v2.sh#L18-L19

So, signing stock firmware with trx_n to make our own webreverts should work, theoretically! May just need the bootloader stripped too, as I've read, but that also may differ between devices/revisions. 🙂

Edit: `gcc trx_n.c` compiled without issue in Cygwin, no changes needed, and the utility appears to have successfully trx signed the stock C7 v4 firmware.🤘

But I'll have to save testing it and reporting whether the WebUI accepts it (and whether it needs to be stripped before signing it on the v4) when it's not the middle of a work week. 🤞🤠

Last edited by osm0sis on Tue Aug 10, 2021 13:42; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
When you have a working solution, please update us. Having something that would actually work without having to use a hex editor would be great!

----------------------
osm0sis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well the WebUI said the flash was successful, so presumably the trx_n signing of the file was correct, but unfortunately the device then wouldn't boot and I had to tftpd it.

Not sure if that's because the final stock firmware needed to be stripped or not (I didn't see any obvious point at which to strip it around 0x20200 like other C7 stripping tutorials mention), or whether with the added header the firmware was simply too large. I had told it to factory reset so it shouldn't have been an nvram settings issue.

Either way the compiled trx_n "HDR0" signing utility might still be useful to others on non-broadcom hardware wanting to try to make webreverts, so I've uploaded my Cygwin build (+lib) of it, and the .c source file (from DD-WRT's repo as linked above), and if anyone wanted it for MacOS or Linux I'm sure it would be just as simple to make a native compile as I mentioned in my previous post.

Judging from the Makefile most non-broadcom devices can just use: `./trx_n -m 40000000 -o <output-file> <input-file>`
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you read KrypteX's post in the thread I linked, you would know you had to strip the bootloader to create the file.

----------------------
osm0sis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
If you read KrypteX's post in the thread I linked, you would know you had to strip the bootloader to create the file.

I told you I did read it and I linked you another site that said if "boot" wasn't present in the C7 stock firmware filename that it also might not need to be stripped..

The "if you had read" posts when I've clearly shown I've done my homework here are a bit frustrating. Like, in the post you're replying to I discussed hunting around in the file for any clear point at which to strip, but unfortunately didn't see one. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I'll keep searching for any clearer instructions for finding the right stripping offset and perhaps try again, but as I said, the trx_n utility will likely also be useful for others as it seems like nobody ever thought to look at the source code for the signing utility and have just done it manually over the years, and I'm also surprised BrainSlayer never offered you guys the utility directly to make everyone's lives easier.. so, yeah, you're welcome. Wink
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
All of LOM's files use the oldest firmware for the device, not the newest AFAIK. If I missed something where you have done your homework, sorry. If there is no bootloader or anything that needs to be stripped or overwritten, I am at a loss; but it has to be one or the other as to why it didn't work, if I am not mistaken. I believe you would have to compare the webflash file with the stock firmware file in a hex editor as you already know.

----------------------
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have not tested this file and I claim no responsibility if it does not work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: