USB mounted empty HDD not enough space error and not writing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
ig007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:28    Post subject: USB mounted empty HDD not enough space error and not writing Reply with quote
I just recently went through a journey setting up two routers on DDWRT (WRT3200ACM build 47117 and R6700 build 47090), creating one subnet with VPN server and client. At first I tested one router R6700 on DDWRT for the first time in my life and had my external USB 600gb HDD attached with no issues (at least I think so, as it let me write). Linksys also didn't have problem with USB on OEM firmware. But since I setup subnet with two routers I got a problem. My USB external HDD mounts well on any of two routers on subnet and I can see it over the network and access share, but whenever I try to write over the network to it on Kubuntu OS, I get "There is not enough space on disk to write..." That is bs, because it is a freshly formatted disk and is empty. Similar response is on Windows 10, no write. I tried ext4 as well as ntfs with no luck. Formatted drive with GPT. No luck either. Whenever I try write to it on Android via CX File Explorer, it starts to write until about 270mb and then router crashes. I guess it just writes to router RAM somehow, but not the drive.. Anyway, there is nothing special I did with USB or Samba setup. All basic stuff as per guide in this forum wiki. Core USB enabled, USB storage enabled and auto mount enabled. It mounts... Samba enabled, HOME workgroup, v2.1-3.11, share added with RW, user set. Any clues?
Sponsor
ig007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I think got it under control.. Solution was to reformat drive with exFAT filesystem. Somehow routers and DDWRT didn't accept NTFS or ext4 well prior to this causing fails in writing and router crashes. Now with exFAT I tested and moved big files all around my devices from inside LAN or outside over VPN tunnel. All works well.

Used same NTFS formatted drive on Linksys firmware with no issue, so I think it is DDWRT compatibility problem. Anyone has a similar experience?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: