AP with Guest Network

ejkbeck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:20    Post subject: AP with Guest Network Reply with quote
I have two routers, both with DD-WRT. Mostly followed this: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point.

One is the router (using CH 3) and the other is AP (using CH 9) linked with a cable. Works great. On the router I added guest network following this: http://tips.desipro.de/2013/12/06/guest-wifi-setup-dd-wrt/

Now I have router using CH 3 with DHCP serving IP's in the 192.168.1.1xx range. Also have isolated guest network with DHCPD in the 192.168.10.1xx range. AP uses CH 9 and is letting the router's DHCP assign IP.

? How do I get the guest network on the AP to use DHCPD from the primary router? And to keep it easy on me, can this be done using web ui and no scripting?

As of right now, I have a matching guest network setup on the AP, Bridged and AP Isolation enabled. What I don't like about this is that these clients are given a 192.168.1.1xx IP so I have no way of telling them apart or setting up QoS rule to lower priority. I'd like them to have a 192.168.10.1xx, or even a 192.168.20.1xx would be fine if a second DHCPD is easier. Suggestions?
Sponsor
themitch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I understand correctly, you want to tell your guest router (router B) to pull dhcp addresses from your primary router (router A) . If that is the case simply go to the basic settings tab on router b and change dhcp type to "dhcp forwarder" and point it to your preferred dhcp server. Otherwise please state your request more clearly (router a, router b...) And I am happy to help you further.
ejkbeck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. That is not the case. The simple response is I want the virtual interface on router B to point to DHCPD 0 on router A.

Router A: DHCP is turned on along with a DHCPD. There is physical interface (ath0) getting IP’s from DHCP. I also wanted a guest network so I added a virtual interface (ath0.1) which is getting IP’s from DHCPD 0 (a second DHCP server). All works well.

Now I wanted to extend the coverage of my two wifi networks using a spare router.

Router B: I connected a cable between the two routers and disabled DHCP on it. This works, so that the physical interface (ath0) is gettings IP’s from Router A DHCP. Now I want to also extend coverage of the guest network. I’m assuming I’d creating a virtual interface (ath0.1). I don’t want it getting IP’s from Router A DHCP. I’d like to use DHCPD 0 on router A or a new DHCPD. I want it to essentially be a secure guest network. By that I mean, a connected guest cannot hit other guests and cannot hit any machines on LAN. Additionally, I want to be able to tell them apart so that I can setup QOS on Router A so guests (from either Router A or Router B) have low priority.
themitch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
On router A check which numbered port you plugged router b into (we will call this port X), then in router A go to setup>networking. Assign port X to ath0.1 (ath0.1 should be the interface running DHCPD 0 unless I am mistaken) and you should be golden.
\
Hopefully this is the answer you were searching for!
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Create a Tagged vlan trunk on the cable between the routers.
This works for Broadcomm based units.

http://www.coertvonk.com/technology/networking/dd-wrt-leading-two-seperate-networks-5829
DutchmanIII
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a similar question:
I have two devices, an E4200 connected to the modem running a DHCP server and an E2500 acting as AP.

I have two virtual Wifis configured: Net and NetGuest each on their own bridge.

On the access point I can connect normally to Net and I will be forwarded to the DHCP on the 4200's br0 and get assigned an address. However when I try to connect to the guest network I get refused.

I've tried playing with the static routing options but I must be missing something. any ideas?
kratosvn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
DutchmanIII wrote:
I have a similar question:
I have two devices, an E4200 connected to the modem running a DHCP server and an E2500 acting as AP.

I have two virtual Wifis configured: Net and NetGuest each on their own bridge.

On the access point I can connect normally to Net and I will be forwarded to the DHCP on the 4200's br0 and get assigned an address. However when I try to connect to the guest network I get refused.

I've tried playing with the static routing options but I must be missing something. any ideas?

Looks like iptables ...
Stoner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:25    Post subject: themitch last comment is what I want but ??? Reply with quote
but not sure how to do it.

He stated: On router A check which numbered port you plugged router b into (we will call this port X), then in router A go to setup>networking. Assign port X to ath0.1 (ath0.1 should be the interface running DHCPD 0 unless I am mistaken) and you should be golden.

I have 2 DD-WRT WRT1900ACS V2 routers running the latest GA software. Router A (the main router has an ethernet cable running from Port 4 on the back to the WAN port on router B. Both routers have a VAP set up on ath1.1 that is running ssid stoner_guest and ath0 & ath1 are running the stoner ssid.

Router A has DHCPD set up as:

Multiple DHCP Server
Interface ath0: IP 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
DHCP 0 ath0 On Start 100 Max 150 Lease time 1440

Interface ath1: IP 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
DHCP 1 ath1 On Start 100 Max 150 Lease time 1440

Interface ath1.1: IP 172.16.1.1/255.255.255.0
DHCP 2 ath1.1 On Start 100 Max 150 Lease time 1440

Port setup on Router A for ath1.1 is:
Network Configuration ath1.1
MAC Address 62:38:E0:10:9D:66
Label
TX Queue Length 1000
Bridge Assignment *Unbridged Default
MTU 1500
Multicast forwarding Enable *Disable
Masquerade / NAT *Enable Disable
Filter WAN NAT Redirection Enable *Disable
Net Isolation *Enable Disable
Forced DNS Redirection *Enable Disable
Optional DNS Target 208.67.222.222
IP Address 172.16.1.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
L2Mesh enable
L2Mesh Bridge br0

When router B was set up as aove it timed out trying to get an IP address, so I set it up as:
Network Configuration ath1.1
MAC Address 5A:EF:68:0D:9D:D2
Label
TX Queue Length 1000
Multicast To Unicast Enable *Disable
Bridge Assignment Unbridged *Default

With this on the guest LAN I get my personal 192.168.x.y IP address assigned. I would like to know what I need to do to hit the DHCPD server on router A. This is so similar to what you were saying above but I do not know what to do with the Port 4 on the back of router A.

Thsanks.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Define "latest GA software". I will allow the threadjack for now, but this topic is discussed quite a bit over the years, and there may even be a wiki about it somewhere.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Stoner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r44715 std (11/03/20)

I have two WRT1900ACS V2 Routers running this firmware.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Zeroed in on the router database, which is not updated. Please take the time to read the forum rules and guidelines before continuing. "This is not a request, Axl".
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: