[SOLVED]Help with OpenVPN client on WAP

buffpatel
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 16:04    Post subject: [SOLVED]Help with OpenVPN client on WAP Reply with quote
Hello,

I previously created a site-to-site tunneled VPN connection between my parents house (OpenVPN Client) and my home network (OpenVPN Server) using the OpenVPN Guide in this forum. It still runs perfectly! I'm now currently trying to move the OpenVPN Client from my parents main router to a WAP in their house and have been having some trouble getting it to work. So here's an overview of my setup:

My Parents router is an R8000 running dd-wrt 7/22/21. Its IP address is 192.168.1.1.
The WAP is another R8000 with IP address 192.168.1.5. It's also running dd-wrt 7/22/21. The OpenVPN Server is also an R8000 with dd-wrt 7/22/21 and it's IP address is 192.168.10.1.

To set up the OpenVPN client on the WAP, I simply copied all my OpenVPN Client settings from the main router onto the WAP. I also changed the Operating Mode on the WAP from Router to Gateway as I read it wouldn't work if in Router mode. Once I did all that, when I go to the Status->OpenVPN page on the WAP, it says "Connected Success" and so I believe it is connected to my OpenVPN network correctly. The issue I'm having is I cannot ping any computers on the other side of the OpenVPN tunnel.

My best guess is maybe I need a way for my parents main router (192.168.1.1) to know how to reach the other side of the OpenVPN network (192.168.10.1) since the OpenVPN client is now on the WAP (192.168.1.5) and not on the main router. I tried creating a static route on the main router (192.168.1.1) but that didn't work. The static route I tried creating was as follows:

Destination LAN NET: 192.168.10.0/1
Gateway: 192.168.1.5
Interface: LAN & WLAN
Metric 0

Scope Global (checked)
MTU 1500 (checked)

Any thoughts/ideas? If you need more info on my config, let me know and I can attach screenshots, etc... Let me know what would help!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Destination LAN NET: 192.168.10.0/24
ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
buffpatel
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
Destination LAN NET: 192.168.10.0/24

Thank you! It now works perfectly!

Can close topic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: