No internet = no access to local IPs on WAN. C7 V4.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
GAZ082
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:37    Post subject: No internet = no access to local IPs on WAN. C7 V4. Reply with quote
Hi. When there is a problem with my internet provider I cannot access any local IP (I've got two RPis in my local network).

I *think* is a misconfiguration in DDWRT, what should I
check? Thanks!

TP-Link ARCHER-C7 v4
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r41664 std (12/06/19)

EDIT: updated subject.

Last edited by GAZ082 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 20:31; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
My first thought is are you trying via dns or using direct ip addresses?

What have you changed from default?

I am assuming that you have ISP on WAN side and everything else LAN side.
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 17:00    Post subject: Re: No internet = no access to local (192.168.xxx) IPs. C7 V Reply with quote
GAZ082 wrote:
Hi. When there is a problem with my internet provider I cannot access any local IP (I've got two RPis in my local network).

more info please. If you disable firewall temp on two LAN clients you should be able to ping client to client regardless if internet on WAN is up or down.

Assume your dd-wrt is acting as gateway and distributing IP configuration to your clients. The DNS IP assigned on your client need to point to the dd-wrt gateway IP. If there is something different assigned the name resolution is gone if internet is down. Did you change DNSMasq switches or options?
GAZ082
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll GLADLY post any information you guys may need suitable. Just go easy on me Smile

The only thing I usually tweak is the static DNS thing, I setup Google's and Cloudflare (which may be the issue here, dont know!). That and tweaking TX for best reliability.

All the access to other machines inside my network is done via IP and they are statically assigned by MAC addess.

My router is connected to the ISP modem/router and it's in bridge mode, so the connection bypasses it and the WAN IP shown in DDWRT is the one from my ISP.

Config that may be useful (thanks!):

https://imgur.com/JclTQcF
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know this is me being dumb but:

it is the ISP modem/router that is in bridge mode, correct?

Are your Pi's getting 192.168.1.x addresses?

Fundamentally it should not matter if the internet goes down because you are one the LAN side.

You could unplug the router from the internet and everything should still work

Are you connected wired or wireless?

Can you ping the other machines with the systems down or is it ssh or http that is down?
GAZ082
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
I know this is me being dumb but:

it is the ISP modem/router that is in bridge mode, correct?

Are your Pi's getting 192.168.1.x addresses?

Fundamentally it should not matter if the internet goes down because you are one the LAN side.

You could unplug the router from the internet and everything should still work

Are you connected wired or wireless?

Can you ping the other machines with the systems down or is it ssh or http that is down?

Hi. My PIs do get 192.168.1.x addresses.

If I disconnect the internet, in LAN i DO get access to the local address but NOT on WAN. Just had a brief interruption last night and I could not even access 192.168.1.1 from my phone.
GAZ082
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im adding my basic setup.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
If your upstream router is on 192.168.1.x subnet, then you will not have internet. Also, consider upgrading, that build is quite dated now. And there is also a better means to configure things (dnsmasq as dhcp server wiki). I don't remember if that build is pre-removal of udhcpd or not, but still. You are way behind on many key updates, patches, etc. Also, are you trying to connect to servers behind your WAN on the router?
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
GAZ082
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
@kernel-panic69

hey there,

1. I DO have internet, my upstream IP from the provider, the issue here is that if i unplug internet i lose all WAN local connections (ie, want to access 192.168.1.1 from my phone, or the real issue here, accessing my automation server, if i lose internet i cannot control my smart devices even when having the server locally).

2. Will check whats the current best release for my router and the rest you posted.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, these "WAN local connections", are they so you can access your automation from away from home? You can go as far as configuring local dns so they resolve locally as well. As a note, if you cannot upgrade via webUI, use the command line method in the wiki linked in my signature. I can't remember when that was fixed, but I think it may have been after that release.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: