Does DD-WRT block consecutive attempts at WOL packets?

justin138
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:05    Post subject: Does DD-WRT block consecutive attempts at WOL packets? Reply with quote
I'm using a software called Home Assistant to send WOL packets to a Windows 10 laptop on the same subnet (both are on ethernet). WOL is enabled in the BIOS of the laptop.

I'm successfully able to perform the WOL a couple of times. After two or three attempts, the computer no longer wakes up. The computer will only WOL via the DD-WRT WOL page, but not via my magic packet being sent.

Is there anything built into DD-WRT to rate limit my devices from sending WOL commands to other devices on the same subnet?
Sponsor
DalKati
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you check this post?

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WOL

I think it's the best place to find the answer Smile
justin138
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
DalKati wrote:
Did you check this post?

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WOL

I think it's the best place to find the answer Smile

I read this over, yes. It doesn't mention if there's any sort of limitation or rate limit.
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
If the sender and receiver are on the same IP network, neither the router, nor its firewall (which is sometimes used to rate limit certain protocols), gets involved. The two devices are *bridged* (not routed), and therefore communicate *directly* via the switch.

This is often a source of confusion for users new to networking who are purposely trying to filter traffic between local devices on the same IP network using iptables. It can't be done. At least NOT using the router. More likely the problem exists w/ the devices themselves.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: