a bit of a question about Archer C9 v5...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Aditza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 17:34    Post subject: a bit of a question about Archer C9 v5... Reply with quote
sometime late last year (October/November 2020) they sort-of published a beta firmware in a thread on their community forum, and that firwmare seems unsigned... (or removes the signature requirements?)

Code:
https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202011/20201112/c9v5_eu-up-ver1-2-5-P1[20201110-rel73750]_nosign_2020-11-10_20.34.13.zip

(posted as code because they check referer headers in URLs - a direct link from here results in a silly message from their server)

does that mean they removed the crypto protection from the router with this firmware? Can we finally have DD-WRT firmwares on C9 v5 hardware by using this firmware as intermediary?

if not.. i'm planning to buy another router soon... i'm growing tired of TPLink's locked cryptoshit (BrainSlayer's own words in that locked thread) that i have to replace every few years and gamble on whether i receive a hardware revision that supports DD-Wrt or not.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you read the last post of the C9 v5 threads? Did you see the note beside the link to the C9 v5 thread linked in the references sticky?
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Well, unfortunately, porting DD-WRT to this device is likely not going to happen because it looks like there is an impassible roadblock:

BrainSlayer wrote:
force tplink to remove cryptoshit from firmware formats. thats the only blocking point.
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Was this even with the oldest firmware from 2018?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-c9/v5/#Firmware
BrainSlayer wrote:
since the beginning. the firmware format is different from all others. it contains a signature. and the rest is just a jffs file. within the jffs file there is a ram cfe. the original bootloader loads this bootloader from this

I will forward this information on to the developer, but I don't expect any magical support for this device to come out of anywhere. And we are not going to have yet another thread about this running amok.

EDIT: There is a possibility, from what I gather in the email reply I got, but any further discussion will be in the references thread.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: