DD-WRT slow to show up in my computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ralphl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 21:53    Post subject: DD-WRT slow to show up in my computer Reply with quote
I am running dd-wrt on a netgear R7000P router with the setting as specified at https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327595. I am currently running version v3.0-r46733 std (05/21/21). My computer is running Xubuntu 18.4 latest update.

My problem is that I often have to wait for a minute or more for the computer to find the wifi from my router. All my neighbors wifi's show up within a few seconds, but my dd-wrt driven wifi takes much much longer. In addition, my 2.4 GHz usually shows up quicker than my 5 GHz. Sometime the the 5 G won't show up at all so my computer syncs to the 2.4 G. Then I have to disconnect the 2.4 G to get the 5 G to show. In short it is annoying to have to often fiddle with the wifi to get my computer connected to the Internet. I never had this problem until I shifted to dd-wrt. I made the change to dd-wrt to get better prioritization for voice and it has performed admirably for this purpose, really improving the voice quality of my voip phones.

Anybody have any idea of how I can fix this problem??????
Sponsor
hellf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is hardly an issue with dd-wrt but with the client, scanning different channels and bands at different times.
Unless you did set Beacon Interval to some unreasonable high number all you can try is switch to a different channel so it may show up earlier.
Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
The "Beacon" does cover information about encryption, SSID, Channel used etc.
Quite some information that add to noise in the wifi neighbourhood.
As @hellf stated: higher values do decrease the intervall this information is sent, your wifi is not seen as often.

2.4GHz Wifi isn't as "wide" as 5GHz, therefore higher Beacons aren't as much as a problem as in 5GHz with its segmented wider band.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Advanced_wireless_settings#Beacon_Interval
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use separate SSIDs for your 2.4 and 5GHz band, don't use the same SSID on both.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also particularly for 2.4G band DO NOT try finding an "open" channel.

I realize it is counterintuitive but I use an app on my Android phone called "wifi analyzer" that is very good for this. When I place a wifi AP I always check for other wifi signals.

It is not uncommon to see a situation where some bozo has used channel 2 while several other people are using channel 1. This basically makes it impossible to properly use any other channel than 11.

If you see a bunch of people using, say, channel 6 at 20Mhz then don't be an A-hole and try running 40Mhz wide channels. Use the same channel 6 they are using and the same 20Mhz wide signal they are using. That way ALL of the radios that can see each other, including yours, will politely wait for the other radios to do their transmitting much like all the talkers on an Ethernet network will STFU when one of them is sending a packet onto the wire.

Lastly, if ALL your stuff is 5Ghz compliant and it all works with good signal level at 5Ghz, then DISABLE your 2.4Ghz radio.
ralphl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks those of you who replied. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately none of the suggested changes seemed to make a difference. On the 5G I have the beacon interval set to 300; changed it to 100, no difference. Tried changing the 5G channel from 161 to Auto. Didn't make any difference. There are only 2 settings: 161 and Auto. I don't know what Auto means. My ssid setting for 2.4 and 5 G are different. Funny thing is that all my neighbors routers show up immediately (including 5G) after a I start up my computer. Could it be that the netgear R7000P router hardware has a problem? Anybody have one of those? Any other suggestions???
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I generally do not use "Apply", I try to reboot the router completely after configuration changes, but this is how you are supposed to change the basic wireless settings for channels.

Per Yngve Berg wrote:

1) set the Channel Width and Save.
2) Set the Extension Channel UU, LL or UL and save
3) The channel list will now show legal channels with the settings 1-2. Select channel and apply.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ralphl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for replying again. And thanks for explaining how to get different channels for the 5G. I tried all of them UU, LL, UL, LU. And I tried them using just "Save" and I tried them using "Reboot". None of the changes made any difference. My wifi still took a minute or more to connect most of the time--particularly the 5G. As I said before all my neighbors wifis, including 5G, show up in my computer wifi list within a couple of seconds. Got to be something peculiar about my router.
Any other thoughts? And thanks again...
Maracon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got the same problem on Netgear R7800. On all devices including Windows PC, laptops, Android smartphones, XBox and LG Smart TV neighbor networks appear within 1st second, and 5G network from my router takes 1 min to appear (or even worse, I have to manually turn off/on the device and then wait 30 sec)
I'm trying different settings every week, and seems switching
Code:
Firmware Type: VANILLA
Beacon Interval: 50ms (tried 300 and 100)

works more or less stable now.
ralphl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried to post about my experience with DD-WRT regarding its problem with allowing computers to rapidly acquire its wifi. However, my post never appeared so I am trying again and some of this may be a repeat. For a couple of years I ran dd-wrt on my netgear R7000P router. I did this because it seemed to have a better priority system for voice packets and hence better VOIP on my Obihai/Google Voice voip phone. Outgoing voice packets were getting delayed during periods when the internet uplink was highly loaded, resulting in remote phones to which I was connected getting broken up voice. DD-WRT allowed setting highest priority for voice packets, and seemed to solve this problem.
However, dd-wrt caused extreme delays (1 or 2 minutes) in my laptops ability to connect to dd-wrt's wifi. Most everytime I tried to connect to the Internet I would get a 1 to 2 minute delay before my computer could see my dd-wrt router's wifi. All my neighbor's routers would be seen within 1 or 2 seconds. Sometimes I couldn't connect at all. Finally I just dumped dd-wrt and went back netgear's standard firmware. This time voip worked on the netgear standard firmware. I don't know if the fix was in netgear's firmware, or that my internet provider improved. But the result was that voip now works, and I now connect to the netgear wifi within a second or two of bringing up my computer. This tells me that dd-wrt has a bug in it, when running on my netgear R7000P router, regardless of the dd-wrt gurus saying otherwise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: