ASUS RT-56R back to Asus Firmware?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
bstuke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 22:48    Post subject: ASUS RT-56R back to Asus Firmware? Reply with quote
I am trying to get an ASUS RT-AC56R back on ASUS firmware. I have followed this procedure:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC56U

But I get "failed to recover the system" once the original ASUS firmware finishes loading, and DD-WRT is still on the router.

Anyone have any ideas for me to try? I just want to get back to where I can use AImesh with my other ASUS routers.

Thanks!
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you try via mini cfe webserver?

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1079582

Not sure if there are any caveats to flashing RT-AC56U DD-WRT, but I presume you are using RT-AC56R stock firmware...

https://www.asus.com/us/SupportOnly/RT-AC56R/HelpDesk_BIOS/

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
bstuke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the feedback I will try that. I did update it to an 11/03/20 release and it took that fine. And it is interesting that the DD-WRT says RT-AC56U but the router on the labels says RT-AC56R. I wonder what the difference is.
bstuke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again for the feedback. That is basically where I am at. I have tried recovering the 56U as well as 56R firmware and it gives me the same upload failed message. In fact I have tried EVERY 56U and 56R firmware version, no luck. I have also tried both version of the firmware recovery tool.

Is there a way to force it using terminal mode or tftp?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
To answer your question on the difference, it is most likely a firmware header and identification coding difference. As this device was never officially supported, there is no telling for sure without some research.

Things you can try:
1) Disabling the firewall on your Windows PC that is connected to the router and trying the recovery tool or mini cfe webserver option.
2) Using Internet Explorer, Firefox ESR Portable, Pale Moon Portable, or Waterfox Classic to upload via mini cfe webserver.
3) See the TFTP flash wiki and try that. Don't focus on the Asus special instructions as those likely will not apply to this router Twisted Evil
4) Last resort would be serial recovery.

I don't have this specific router, and there are no reach-out-and-grab-me-by-the-nose-hairs web search results on reverting to stock firmware on this device, so this is my best guesstimations and rolling of the dice crap shoot.

----------------------
kushwavez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
bstuke wrote:
Thanks again for the feedback. That is basically where I am at. I have tried recovering the 56U as well as 56R firmware and it gives me the same upload failed message. In fact I have tried EVERY 56U and 56R firmware version, no luck. I have also tried both version of the firmware recovery tool.

Is there a way to force it using terminal mode or tftp?

I did have issues going back to the original FW too, gave me a headache back then until I figured out.

What I did: downloaded the oldest available firmware for the device, in my case it was 378.55_0 from https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net (couldn't find original old fw).

Downloaded the Firmware Restoration tool from Asus's site, first I did an NVRAM reset (with the WPS button held when starting) then right after that I put the device into restoration mode.

After that I just picked the old FW via the Tool and it uploaded and I presented with the ASUS login page just in case I also did an NVRAM reset after that too.

After that I simply downloaded the newest FW from Asus site and uploaded via WebUI.

I used this method several times without fail, so I think this should work for you too.

I have RT-AC56U tho, not 56R, but I do think that they're identical, wikidevi is also redirecting me to AC56U when searching for 56R.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
If none of the files linked on the Asus site are 'old enough', you can look here as well:

https://drivers.softpedia.com/downloadTag/ASUS%20RT-AC56R%20Firmware

----------------------
bstuke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK thanks! Back to work trying things!

And yes I think it is identical between the 56U and 56R.

It has become that bone that I am not going to let go of at all.
bstuke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
kushwavez wrote:
What I did: downloaded the oldest available firmware for the device, in my case it was 378.55_0 from https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net (couldn't find original old fw).

Thanks, that version worked! I am back on ASUS firmware and the latest version now, and AP mode works perfectly. I appreciate the help.
kushwavez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad it's worked.

Well maybe I'm wrong, but I think it has something to do with rootfs size. 64M vs 32M.
And because of the mismatch the CFE denies the newer firmware, but the old firmware used 32M so it is working.

I don't know for sure, but I know that the older firmware is the solution when going back as it's just worked every time for first try.
bstuke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rootfs could very well be the problem. I forgot how old this router is. It will only do 100Mbps on the wired portion. Thankfully I just need it for 2.4Ghz IOT coverage. It is such a compact and sturdy router. I'll use it until it dies of bit rot.
kushwavez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
bstuke wrote:
It will only do 100Mbps on the wired portion. It is such a compact and sturdy router. I'll use it until it dies of bit rot.

I think you wrong with that, It can do 1 Gbit/s. For me I could go for the limit actually (~125 MB/s). With 5 GHz I could do ~60 MB/s thru Wifi. I am really happy with this router I have two of them and they're working for years without any trouble.

The next router will be a Netgear R7000 or R8000 for me, they're the next best routers in my eyes.

I must say, Broadcom did (and do) a great job with routers.

And me too, will use these bad boys til they decides to give up
bstuke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, all good now. For some reason my connection out to the modem in the garage was set to 100 instead of auto or 1000. Fixed that and full speed now, 940Mbps!
kushwavez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
very well, enjoy

I did have problems with speed once, it was also limited to 100 mbit/s because of the cable. After I replaced the old cable with a new cat5e cable it went to 1 Gbps right away
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: