What was the breaking build for iOS/Apple?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
whynotwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 14:56    Post subject: What was the breaking build for iOS/Apple? Reply with quote
So I'm still using build 44048 since I need to support iOS/Apple devices. After research, I've seen that some build after 44048 caused instability in iOS devices.

I was wondering, does anyone know the exact build that caused the iOS stability issue? I was thinking of trying to investigate the issue myself, and see if maybe I could find where the issue occurred.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
See here: https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi

Click on "Issues".
pbphoto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know what exact change but the very next build, 44085, had IOS and MACOS issues (maybe other devices) where wifi remained connected and strong but all traffic stopped flowing. Stopping/starting wifi on the device immediately but temporarily fixed the problem.

Last week I installed r46854 on my 3200ACM after thoroughly reseting it, and it has been much better than any release since 44048. I've had a handful of IOS wifi hangs and my first macos wifi hang today. See my notes in the r46854 thread.
xl600
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
pbphoto wrote:

Last week I installed r46854 on my 3200ACM after thoroughly reseting it, and it has been much better than any release since 44048. I've had a handful of IOS wifi hangs and my first macos wifi hang today. See my notes in the r46854 thread.

When I saw your success I immediately tried it myself. Reset nvram multiple times, reloaded multiple times (since it switches partitions each time), tried the reset button multiple times. I've seen no difference at all in the IOS hangups...
pbphoto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry to hear that. The wifi on my 3200ACM isn't used as heavily or by the variety of devices that my 1900ACS was. I keep the 3200ACM around to serve wifi to a few rooms upstairs, including my office, and as a gateway for wireguard. The 1900ACS that only worked on 44048 has been replaced by by a Netgear r7800 running r46854 - it's the main wifi AP in the house and has 15+ devices connected at any one time. Runs without a problem. Someday I'll reload the 1900ACS and see if I can get it to work.

The only things I can think of as to why the 3200ACM is working fairly well with 46854 are 1) resetting the crap out of it and manually typing everything in, or 2) some magic combo of wifi settings (see my screen shots in the 46854 thread), or 3) the 3200ACM is not being hit as hard or by the right combo of devices to knock it out.

Regarding #3, I was able to get my 1900ACS to hang with a single IOS or Macos client attached so it's not like it took a bunch of weird devices to knock it out. Also, the 3200ACM is still in the same spot in my house as when I tried several releases on it last Fall and wifi hung up constantly, so its wifi landscape hasn't changed that much but the 3200ACM is much more stable. I'm stumped.
jifffy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:23    Post subject: Re: What was the breaking build for iOS/Apple? Reply with quote
whynotwrt wrote:
So I'm still using build 44048 since I need to support iOS/Apple devices. After research, I've seen that some build after 44048 caused instability in iOS devices.

I was wondering, does anyone know the exact build that caused the iOS stability issue? I was thinking of trying to investigate the issue myself, and see if maybe I could find where the issue occurred.

The problem started when Apple decided to update their firmware and ever since all the Apple problems started. I can't pinpoint the exact revision but it's one of the latest ones
pbphoto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure about that. Others have reported the same problem with non-apple devices. This issue started with r44085 last August - well before IOS 14 and MacOS 11. Falling back to 44048 fixes the problem regardless of the IOS/MacOS version your device is running.
jwieland
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any version newer than 44048 on our wrt1200acv2 will have problems with Windows 10 clients after a few hours. It stays connected, but the throughput falls to nearly nothing. Restarting the connection will temporarily fix the problem, but it always comes back.
PainbowDDWRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 0:03    Post subject: Re: What was the breaking build for iOS/Apple? Reply with quote
jifffy wrote:
whynotwrt wrote:

The problem started when Apple decided to update their firmware and ever since all the Apple problems started. I can't pinpoint the exact revision but it's one of the latest ones

I want to say again that I don't think it's apple. I use an LG G7 ThinQ Android device that I connect to my router via wifi from bed to RealVNC into my PC in the room. I am currently still on 44048 and haven't tried any other firmware later than this because I had, for the first time ever, problems connecting to my PC with my android device, so I went back to 44048. I would be willing to try a newer firmware if it's been shown to be as stable as 44048, but until then, nope! Nothing personal!
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:58    Post subject: Re: What was the breaking build for iOS/Apple? Reply with quote
PainbowDDWRT wrote:
jifffy wrote:
whynotwrt wrote:

I want to say again that I don't think it's apple. I use an LG G7 ThinQ Android device that I connect to my router via wifi from bed to RealVNC into my PC in the room. I am currently still on 44048 and haven't tried any other firmware later than this because I had, for the first time ever, problems connecting to my PC with my android device, so I went back to 44048. I would be willing to try a newer firmware if it's been shown to be as stable as 44048, but until then, nope! Nothing personal!

I too have seen the same thing happening on my windows desktop with recent builds like 46958

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
bobthenewguy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone confirm There a fix for this yet? I'm still running 44048
Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not much DD-WRT can do.

Apple changed "something" and Linksys as manufacturer of your device ceased support long ago.
Until they urge someone over at NXP to solve this, no fast solution to await (the Marvell WiFi hardware branch was sold long time ago).

Over the time unsolved problems, resulting in this "Wifi is somehow garbage" situation piled up to the current state, for some users with Marvell based hardware.
BretG57
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't understand why people keep saying that it has nothing to do with dd-wrt and it's just the mwlwifi driver. This doesn't make any sense to me. The most recent update to https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi is a single bin that is 1.5 yr old but most files are several years old. The last good release 44048, is not even a year old. Is it the case that the driver was updated after 44048, using the firmware that was months old at that point? Seems unlikely, but even if that is the case, why can't we just get a build with the older firmware? It seems more likely that a bug was introduced into dd-wrt after 44048.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Consider following browser recommendations for accessing webUI, disabling pre-fetching, and even adjusting the
auto-refresh interval in the webUI. NOTE: Check setting "tcp_tw_recycle" (in "Administration->Sysctl") and if set
to 1, set to 0; "save" and reboot as it appears to solve issues with Apple products. Read the first four links.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329948

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329221

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=323974

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329904

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329003

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=328995

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: