New router to buy netgear, tplink

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions
royitoroy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 0:27    Post subject: New router to buy netgear, tplink Reply with quote
I am deciding to buy a new router to serve as the main router with DDWRT and I want to enable a system such as QoS to control the bandwidth and I am looking for a router that is robust and dont have issues with the DDWRT firmware so that this without problems

TP-Link Archer C5 AC1200 v2
netgear AC1750 R6700V3
netgear AC1900 R7000
netgear AC3000 R7900P
netgear AD7200 R9000

any other best suggestions?

By the way, in the country that I live, you can mostly find tp-link... the netgears belong to someone who brought them on a trip to another country, but it is not common here at all.
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions

Sticky: What’s the best dd-wrt router to buy in 2021?

Sticky: What Router or Access Point to buy for dd-wrt?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:54    Post subject: Re: New router to buy netgear, tplink Reply with quote
royitoroy wrote:
netgear AC3000 R7900P

This one is not supported by DD-WRT, so it wouldn't even make sense to buy it.

Everything in that list is Broadcom, except the R9000, and not worth your time unless you already have them in your possession.

If you're going to get a TP-Link, ensure it is Atheros and supported.

Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki (TP-Link)

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/TP-LINK_Archer_C5_v1.x

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/TP-LINK_Archer_C7_v5.x

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/TP-LINK_Archer_A7_v5.x

Going back to the sticky, the Netgear R7800, R7500v2, R9000, Linksys EA8500 and their clones are the current flagships.

So, there's your choices...

And if you read the first sticky, you know my thoughts on posts like this. And I may need to update that sticky to include those archers... Cool

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
royitoroy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok discard the both r6700 v1 and v3 and r7900p since the r9000 is the flagship, I have also read about the r7000 in some pages and youtubes and I would like to better understand the problem that seems to have with the broadcom so you say no would you waste time on it (unless you already have it) ... is there something wrong with broadcom that I still don't know?

kernel-panic69 wrote:

Everything in that list is Broadcom, except the R9000, and not worth your time unless you already have them in your possession.

And another question that I keep thinking about is ... will the ddwrt be stable with these routers? I ask because before I had a linksys wr160n and a tplink wr940 (yeeah... I know that they are not the best benchmarks and references but they are the experiences I have) and it happened that it continually freeze it or like they stopped working and had to be restarted and it was frustrating, so much so that I changed them to openwrt and there they are more stable (but I don't like openwrt very much)

Will these routers work fine with ddwrt or will they have the problem of always restarting or stopping?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quite honestly, routers are like anything else. Not every one of them is perfect, you may get a lemon... and without any significant reports and debug information, issues cannot be fixed in DD-WRT.

The problem with Broadcom is that the closed-source drivers and the generic open-source drivers in newer kernels don't see much development or updates as do the Atheros and MediaTek open-source drivers or they don't seem to work as well as the drivers that have been built for the old 2.4 and 2.6 kernels in stock firmware. Plus, the Atheros (and now MediaTek) devices are getting much more attention by the DD-WRT firmware developer than Broadcom, so it's up to you which router you decide on, as long as it is supported by DD-WRT. If you research and read up on the recommended routers in the sticky, you will see that the flagships work just fine. You can use those Broadcoms (aside from the R7900P that is not supported) if you wish to, but also with the addition of swconfig in newer releases, some things have changed in the way that you have to go about doing things, so there is also that. Also, to reiterate, this topic has been beaten like a dead horse enough times in the past 3 years and people just do not seem to read and have to ask it over and over...

----------------------
royitoroy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 16:33    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote
Ok... I went for the most "safe" and chose the flagship, I just grabbed the netgear R9000.

Now I will install the ddwrt and shouldn't have much trouble...

If you had any suggestions for the ddwrt version and configuration it would be a great help.

what I basically want is to put a dhcp, a good QoS for my connection which is 20mbps up and 8mbps down and 3 ap repeaters or wired lan bridges and a debían OMV server with 3 terabytes of information
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slight overkill, but future-proof if you ever upgrade your internet connection. What is your wan connection: a static IP, dhcp, or pppoe? I am not sure if PPPoE is having any issues currently, I would have to look, but some information would be required first. I generally recommend builds from the current year and then recommend working backwards to find a build that doesn't have specific issues so that way I can interface with the developer to gather information to fix the issue(s). Anyhow, the scope of this thread is taking a change in direction, but we can leave discussion here in one place and work from there.

----------------------
royitoroy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
What is your wan connection: a static IP, dhcp, or pppoe?

dhcp

actually its like this
internet wired to archer c7 v2 stock firmware with DHCP as mainrouter,

wired 1 to an Archer C60 v3 with openwrt dumb-ap, it gets the ip´s of the mainrouter archer c7 (Someone told me the archer c60 gave problems with ddwrt firmware)

wired 2 debian/OMV

wired 3 wr160n openwrt dumb-ap (Before with ddwrt but it freeze it or it stopped working and it changed to openwrt but the USB is not useful to connect a printer)

What I will now do is change the mainrouter archer c7 for the netgear R9000 with ddwrt with DHCP and QoS (and A VPN coming soon).

and change the wr160n for the archer c7 (I still don't know which firmware will work better to connect a cannon e400 printer and that it works in a wireless network)
royitoroy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
For now 1st I must install the ddwrt in the new R9000...

So I will look for some youtube videos that show how and/or some wikis here in the forum ... if they had one at hand it would be of great help to install the new one firmware
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
install is easy

reset to default and reboot
download this file first
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/07-08-2021-r47033/netgear-r9000/factory-to-ddwrt.img
go to Netgear GUI update firmware
select this file from above to upgrade and wait
than reboot

for any next upgrade via DDWRT GUI use
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/07-08-2021-r47033/netgear-r9000/r9000-webupgrade.bin

some people prefer to update with this file after the factory update..

your router address is 192.168.1.1

DO NOT UPDATE VIA WIFI, USE LAN (WIRED)

DO NOT USE SAVE FILES FROM DIFFERENT BUILDS

if the normal udate is not working due to a various reasons you can use inbuilt TFTP

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

use factory file for first flash

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
for any next upgrade via DDWRT GUI use
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/07-08-2021-r47033/netgear-r9000/r9000-webupgrade.bin

some people prefer to update with this file after the factory update..

You only need to flash r9000-webupgrade.bin to upgrade to a newer, older, or current release from a previous verison, from that release's download folder. You don't need to double-flash this device, you risk things going awry and that logic is completely wrong for this device in general. This right here is going to do nothing but confuse those who read it.

The only thing missing in the wiki right now is the upgrading procedure as best I can tell, which can be resolved pretty easily:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_R9000

----------------------
royitoroy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
thnaks
Alozaros and kernel-panic69 I just installed the .img (I've done it before on several of my routers but it always gives me a little something the 1st time and I can't help but get a little nervous hehe)

now it finish to install the .bin i hope to enter without problems and i will start to configure the router
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unless you flashed an older .img, what is the point of flashing the .bin? Nothing. All you needed to do was the initial factory-to-ddwrt.img flash, unless you flashed an old build from the router database. I wish I knew on what wavelength, space-time continuum, dimension you two are on, because double-flashing isn't necessary if you flashed the first .img linked.

People need to quit giving bunk advice about how to flash routers, and people need to quit following said bunk advice.

----------------------
royitoroy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Unless you flashed an older .img, what is the point of flashing the .bin? Nothing. All you needed to do was the initial factory-to-ddwrt.img flash, unless you flashed an old build from the router database. I wish I knew on what wavelength, space-time continuum, dimension you two are on, because double-flashing isn't necessary if you flashed the first .img linked.

People need to quit giving bunk advice about how to flash routers, and people need to quit following said bunk advice.

aaa sorry didnt knew... in all te wikis and youtubes was that 2nd flashing step...

now i am with the basic configuration... wan, dhcp, Assigning the static ips of the other ap's, wireless securities etc...
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
The device wiki says nothing about a 2nd flash and the upgrading / downgrading procedure has not been added yet.

Please ask any questions regarding issues in the proper forum area from this point forward.

----------------------
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: