Using Partition 1 and 2: WRT3200ACM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
FlaParrotHead
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:52    Post subject: Using Partition 1 and 2: WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
Can someone please help me to better understand how to use and load images on the two partitions?

Is it possible to load DD-WRT on one partition and something such as the ExpressVPN image on the other?

Pluses, Dangers, gotchas, etc all welcome.

Thanks!

Kernel VersionLinux 4.9.330 #3466 SMP Thu Oct 13 02:01:23 +07 2022 armv7l
Linksys RE9000 Extender (WiFi attached)
OpenVPN with PBR: ExpressVPN
Devices: Sonos, Apple, QNAP, Laserjet other
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't own any such WRT3200ACM but I assume these work like the EA8500 dual partition.

So then it uses same nvram for both parts.

Lots folks get by keeping Linksys FW on 1 part & DD-WRT FW on the other simply cause they use different pieces of the nvram space.

I would say what you wanta do is a bad ideal Rolling Eyes

maybe some these Marvell peoples can tell you sompin else Cool
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am sure to get a lot of flak here but I have to comment.

Based on my recent (last few months) efforts with my WRT series routers this is what I have discovered.

For many years I have been running DD-WRT and have fought to get stable versions especially on my older 1900 V1's to the point that I always had to revert to a 3 years old version. Even the best known version r44048 gave me intermittent problems such as total loss of my 5Ghz links even though the radios were xmitting.

Not long ago, a couple months or so, I experimented with total reset. I would do red-button reset, upgrade with reset and load in a new build, totally configure from scratch and then upgrade the alternate partition to the same build without reset.

As subsequent builds were released I would do a normal upgrade without reset. If I encountered strange problems I would either switch to the alternate partition and simply ignore the last upgrade or do a complete reset again.

Initially when I upgraded to r44048 with this process all routers performed properly until I moved to more recent builds where I found that I had to perform the mass reset again to get the builds working properly. The last few builds have been uneventful as far as upgrading. I do suspect though that a total reset and re-config will be necessary again shortly.

An interesting point about reset is that not all is reset when upgrading or red-button reset. Which is why I like to have both partitions in sync with at least near identical builds. I confirmed this lack of reset accidentally when re-configuring. Since I use WDS and have WDS info stored I found that even after a massive reset the WDS info remained. Not that in itself it caused any problems but did indicate how stored information can easily conflict accross partitions especially where builds use the stored info differently.

Conclusion on my part, is that the partitions are not 100% exclusive and having even slightly different builds may cause some unexpected results. I am sure the gurus here will have a lot to comment on this, but I do hope to start a thought process on how to upgrade successfully.

I literally had tried hundreds of builds on my 1900 V1's without success until I used the mass reset procedure. They are now working properly with virtually every build I try. It was a real PIB to do the process on my master 3200 but it to is stable now. I don't use the 2.4Ghz on it though but the 5Ghz is pushed to it's maximum most of the time as it is a WDS link to my second 3200 which has my camera monitoring desktop attached and my TV etc.
I have no idea if I had a better WAN link what the effect would be but with my snail paced 7down/0.4up I am having the normal spinning especially with VPN enabled.

Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

WRT3200acm r55819 WDS Station 5Ghz
Ath1 AP N/G Mixed Channel 11 HT40

WRT1900Ac V1 5Ghz r55819 WDS Station
(Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)

WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS Station r55819
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS-AP r55819
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro AP CH 6 Mixed - Not in use

3200 Master -> LAN -> 1900ACS -> WDS 5Ghz -> 1900 V1
3200 Master -> WDS -> 3200 Slave & 1900V1
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
WENED wrote:
I found that even after a massive reset the WDS info remained.

I've seen the same thing on the EA8500 Wink

just another NOTE:
the two partitions are NOT the same size ...AFAIK the Marvell dual parts are like that also.

Remember year or so back when the BrainSlayer got to making some DD-WRT builds a bit too big
https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6580

good luck to ya FlaParrotHead --- whatever you do Cool
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is my understanding of the partition process that I use on my 1200's but others may have more/better input. AFAIK, both partitions use the same nvram which can cause unexpected results when running two different firmwares/setups. Others can elaborate on the joys/anger of running two different firmwares as I have little experience with that. I personally would not do so but others may have more input for you??

I run ExpressVPN on both DD-WRT routers with no need to install their own branded router firmware?? Just follow the setup info below. You can enable/disable OpenVPN client at will if necessary?
https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn-setup/manual-config-for-dd-wrt-router-with-openvpn/

Edit: It's my understanding that OpenVPN limits your DL to a max of 100 Mbs?? Something to consider before using OpenVPN client. I've never exceeded that with OpenVPN client enabled. Appreciate any input concerning this.

I have no use for the below info since I only used it for a period of time that DD-WRT firmware would ONLY install on partition 1. That issue has been resolved as the firmware installs on part1 and part2 now. Important facts, firmware always installs on the opposite partition from current boot. After 'setting' a current partition DO NOT REBOOT but update. Having said that here is my understanding of how to manipulate partitions.

Go to Administrator > Command and paste "ubootenv get boot_part" without the quotes and press "Run Commands". This will tell you which partition your router is currently booted to. The return should be three stacked lines with the bottom line being the single number of the current boot partition, 1 or 2.

If the return is 1 then the router is currently booted to partition 1, if 2 than it's booted to partition 2. Knowing the current boot partition tells you which partition the router will try to install the update firmware to.

If it's currently booted to partition 1 it will try to install the firmware on partition 2. I it's currently booted to partition 2 it will try to install the firmware to partition 1. Make a backup of your current setting before updating is a good practice. (Administration > Backup > Backup Button) Forgive me if I over simplify.

If it's currently booted on partition 1 you would need to fool the router into thinking it's currently booted to partition 2 . . . if you want to install on partition 1.
If it's currently booted on partition 2 you would need to fool the router into thinking it's currently booted to partition 1 . . . if you want to install on partition 2.

You would go to Administrator > Command and paste "ubootenv set boot_part 2" without quotes and press "Run Commands". This overwrites the router's current boot partition to 2 so the router will install the update over the current partition 1 since it will now "think" it's currently booted to partition 2. DO NOT REBOOT just go straight to the Administration > Firmware Upgrade, select the update file and press "Upgrade". Should install on partition 1

Here are the commands again according to my understanding.

Find current boot partition > ubootenv get boot_part
Install to partition one > ubootenv set boot_part 2 (don't reboot after running command)
Install to partition two > ubootenv set boot_part 1 (don't reboot after running command)

Edit: Corrections appreciated =)

Last edited by Monza on Sat Jul 03, 2021 16:54; edited 1 time in total
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Monza,

I have used the partition switch on numerous occasions over the years especially when the size of builds was a concern, however I must say caution should be exercised when using this process.

I managed to totally brick my 1200 V1 by my own stupidity. I was upgrading to a new build and it kept returning to the same build as it would not load the new build. Because I had been down this path in the past with oversize builds, I simply forced an upgrade on the current build in partition 1. Well that didn't go well as now I had both partitions bootloader toasted.

The problem was pretty simple and stupid on my part, I was trying to load in 3200 builds as I wasn't being careful about which build I was using. Of course since there is only one way noted for fixing this, using a LINUX system which I don't have and am not prepared to build up, the 1200 is now a paperweight.

So, word of caution, use the partition switch carefully, not if a build fails as you will get the same result as I did.

Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
WENED wrote:
I must say caution should be exercised when using this process.

I agree completely, I too only used it during the part1 only era.

WENED wrote:
The problem was pretty simple and stupid on my part

I do this a lot =)

WENED wrote:
Of course since there is only one way noted for fixing this, using a LINUX system which I don't have and am not prepared to build up, the 1200 is now a paperweight.

On one of my laptops, I bought a WD My Passport USB 1TB drive (less than $50) and (booting to USB first) installed Linux Mint on the drive. Install created a dual boot system. I did that several years ago for fun. Now I rarely use Windows as a result of REALLY liking the Linux OS.

WENED wrote:
So, word of caution, use the partition switch carefully, not if a build fails as you will get the same result as I did.

Agree, not a procedure to use casually or without need.
FlaParrotHead
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
So a real basic question for the 3200s, how do you swap between partitions and when running Dd-WRT on both, is there anything on the GUI to identify which partition you are loaded from?
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
FlaParrotHead wrote:
So a real basic question for the 3200s, how do you swap between partitions and when running Dd-WRT on both, is there anything on the GUI to identify which partition you are loaded from?

Review the post by MONZA.
Using GUI->Administration->Commands tab you can check/switch partitions

Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

FlaParrotHead
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
WENED wrote:
FlaParrotHead wrote:

Review the post by MONZA.
Using GUI->Administration->Commands tab you can check/switch partitions

Got it, thanks, MONZAs post is excellent.

What I’m not sure of is how to boot from a particular partition, vs fooling the install to force an upgrade to the other partition.

BTW .. the reason I’m interested in having ExpressVPN build on one partition and DD-WRT on the other is so that I can “play” with the DD-WRT image and if things aren’t stable I can quickly swap over to the stable ExpressVPN one for awhile. It would also make it easier to test some bes ExpressVPN functions and still have the DD-WRT partition/image for “play”.

FlaParrotHead
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Monza wrote:

I run ExpressVPN on both DD-WRT routers with no need to install their own branded router firmware?? Just follow the setup info below. You can enable/disable OpenVPN client at will if necessary?
https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn-setup/manual-config-for-dd-wrt-router-with-openvpn/

Here are the commands again according to my understanding.

Find current boot partition > ubootenv get boot_part
Install to partition one > ubootenv set boot_part 2 (don't reboot after running command)
Install to partition two > ubootenv set boot_part 1 (don't reboot after running command)

Edit: Corrections appreciated =)

Thanks for the information. The reason I am trying to understand partitions is to be able to run “stable” ExpressVPN on one snd then “play” with Newer DD-WRT builds on the other, even when no time to fully debug issues, especially post 44048 Apple/other problems.

Two questions… is there a command to see what is installed on each partition, even the non-booted one? Also, how do you boot from the “other” partition? Simply issue the command above and “re-boot” or is there a way to do it from the device (hardware) itself.

Thanks for your experience!

SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Monza wrote:
It's my understanding that OpenVPN limits your DL to a max of 100 Mbs?? Something to consider before using OpenVPN client. I've never exceeded that with OpenVPN client enabled. Appreciate any input concerning this.

FWIW, on my WRT1900ACSv2 I've maxed out my 200 Mbps ISP download speed

to an AirVPN server using build 46816 (OpenVPN 2.5.2) and the CHACHA20-POLY1305 data cipher. This router has two 1.6 GHz CPU cores, and your 1200 has two 1.3 GHz cores, so a reasonable guess is that your router could do 177 Mbps under the right circumstances, maybe more, as again, my ISP connection was maxed out.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the information. The reason I am trying to understand partitions is to be able to run “stable” ExpressVPN on one snd then “play” with Newer DD-WRT builds on the other, even when no time to fully debug issues, especially post 44048 Apple/other problems.

Two questions… is there a command to see what is installed on each partition, even the non-booted one? Also, how do you boot from the “other” partition? Simply issue the command above and “re-boot” or is there a way to do it from the device (hardware) itself.

Thanks for your experience

I personnaly run r47000 on my 3200, both partitions with ExpressVPN installed on both. I chose from the get go to install the manual version rather than their package as I required additional control over other setups especially my DHCP default list (99 items list). Because I have specific web sites that won't co-operate with VPN active I occasionally disable VPN for very short periods to use these websites and then re-enable without problem. As for download speed, yes it is degraded (about 20%) which in my case is a proper pain since I only have 8 down and 0.4 up to start with on my super speed wire link.
The biggest glitch I have had with using ExpressVPN on DD-WRT OPENVPN is the lack of being able to easily switch servers. Not a big problem as I just have to copy/paste a new server into OpenVPN and re-enable. I have had to do do this a couple of times recently as certain servers were not working for me.

Your idea for having DD-WRT on one partition and ExpressVPN on the other might work but from what I have already said and duplicated by others here, you could have a lot of strange problems. As much as having two different systems in the partitions might be nice, I believe it causes a whole lot of problems. For that matter, if you choose to upgrade to a newer build (r47000 or so) be aware that I was unsuccessful until I totally reset both partitions and re-configured comepletely (roughly a two hour event) as I had to reload ExpressVPN and all my static addresses (99).

Due to my experience recently with differing builds on opposing partitions I would not recommend you doing what you want as the results can be deceiving. And again I mention going from r44048 to any of the newer builds directly did not work for me until I totally reset and re-configured.

I am sure the gurus out there will have more commentary so don't rush into a rabbit hole you can't get out of.

Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

FlaParrotHead
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
WENED… yes, i followed your recent posts and work on full and clean resets to r4700 on both partitions and May also try that route soon when I have a few hours to reconfigure. I keep a text file handy on all devices with the most frequent express servers I use to easily and quickly copy/paste when needing to change as well.
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
WENED wrote:

Thanks for your experience

I personnaly run r47000 on my 3200, both partitions with ExpressVPN installed on both. I chose from the get go to install the manual version rather than their package as I required additional control over other setups especially my DHCP default list (99 items list). Because I have specific web sites that won't co-operate with VPN active I occasionally disable VPN for very short periods to use these websites and then re-enable without problem. As for download speed, yes it is degraded (about 20%) which in my case is a proper pain since I only have 8 down and 0.4 up to start with on my super speed wire link.
The biggest glitch I have had with using ExpressVPN on DD-WRT OPENVPN is the lack of being able to easily switch servers. Not a big problem as I just have to copy/paste a new server into OpenVPN and re-enable. I have had to do do this a couple of times recently as certain servers were not working for me.

Your idea for having DD-WRT on one partition and ExpressVPN on the other might work but from what I have already said and duplicated by others here, you could have a lot of strange problems. As much as having two different systems in the partitions might be nice, I believe it causes a whole lot of problems. For that matter, if you choose to upgrade to a newer build (r47000 or so) be aware that I was unsuccessful until I totally reset both partitions and re-configured comepletely (roughly a two hour event) as I had to reload ExpressVPN and all my static addresses (99).

Due to my experience recently with differing builds on opposing partitions I would not recommend you doing what you want as the results can be deceiving. And again I mention going from r44048 to any of the newer builds directly did not work for me until I totally reset and re-configured.

I am sure the gurus out there will have more commentary so don't rush into a rabbit hole you can't get out of.

If you're regularly switching back and forth, add a VAP in a different subnet & use the policy based routing box in the openVPN client. Switching back and forth is as simple as connecting to a different SSID.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: