galaxy s20 won't connect to router with wpa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
johnnyNobody999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 17:14    Post subject: galaxy s20 won't connect to router with wpa Reply with quote
The only way this phone will connect to my router is if I disable wireless security on any router (R7800, R9000). My Galaxy S8 connects fine. Anyone know why? I normally have the routers set up for WPA2 and WPA3/SAE Personal with CCMP-128 (AES), CCMP-256, GCMP, GCMP-256.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do any of your clients support WPA3 and those ciphers? If not, don't enable them. WPA2 Personal with CCMP-128 (AES) unless your client supports WPA3 and the other ciphers. And don't expect mixed clients to connect to the same AP.

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-210740/

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-229307/

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
johnnyNobody999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was under the impression that you could mix wpa2 and wpa3 and the various ciphers on the same AP. If not, it seems that when you select wpa2, the tab should screen out incompatible options. Anyway, it hasn't been a problem until now. Besides, the Galaxy S20 does WPA3 and it was the only device connecting to one of my R7800 AP's. I turned off WPA3 on that AP and still couldn't connect. I didn't play with the WPA2 ciphers but I completely turned off the wifi security on that router and got a connection. I couldn't find info about WPA for the Galaxy S8 so I don't know if it's WPA3 capable. My wifes Galaxy S7 connects fine but I don't believe that old of a phone does WPA3.
Modwort
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a single rebellious device that refuses to connect. In my case it was solved by changing "Disable EAPOL Key Retries": I changed the setting from "Enabled" to "Disabled" and that solved my specific issue with that device.
johnnyNobody999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I solved my problem by deselecting GCMP-256. Too bad I didn't discover this before sending back the first S20. It's interesting that the S8 didn't have this issue but the S20 does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: