Extending DD-WRT router with USB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Desperado17
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:00    Post subject: Extending DD-WRT router with USB Reply with quote
Greetings,

I have a Linksys e2000 router with DD-WRT on it that is positioned in the hallway of the second floor. A repeater on the first floor is connected to it but has poor connection because of the several walls between the two. I'd like to help the repeater by connecting another antenna to the router that allows it to bypass one wall. My idea was to buy something like this and connect it to the USB port of the router as an additional external antenna which I then position at a strategically better position in the hallway:

https://www.amazon.de/Netzwerkadapter-schnelles-leistungsfähiges-WLAN-Standard-Frequenzband/dp/B00ZA2QOIK

Before I buy this thing I would like to know if DD-WRT contains drivers/functionality to make use of it in the way I intend.

Regards.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
In short, no, this will not work.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Desperado17
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
A pity. Do you have a different idea?
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nothing beats a LAN cable.
Is there any way to run the cable between 2 floors?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know for a fact that a current OpenWRT sees compatible USB WiFi adapters as just another interface and your idea would work. I tried a cheap Realtek RTL8188CUS/ 0bda:8176, not fast but usable.

Those adapters however never surprised me with stability, have you looked at PLC/Powerline/Homeplug?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: