TP Link WR841N V9 not able to ping devices on another VLAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
justpatel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:09    Post subject: TP Link WR841N V9 not able to ping devices on another VLAN Reply with quote
I know that there is a problem with the WR841N router and trying to reach devices while connected on wired LAN on DD-WRT. I managed to solve this problem with the help found on this forum using the following startup script:

Code:
swconfig dev switch0 set reset 1
swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch0 set apply

I recently started playing around with the router again and setting up separate VLANs. Everything seemed to work fine until I ran into the same problem that I was having earlier with not being able to ping devices on the same network that were wired LAN, except this time it was with devices on another VLAN (VLAN1 -> VLAN2). I tested to see if this was the case with wi-fi on separate VLANs, but I was able to ping my wi-fi connected phone on the second VLAN, so it looks like it's only with wired devices. This also proved that there wasn't some firewall rule blocking VLAN1 from VLAN2.

Is there a solution to this similar to what was done with devices on the same VLAN?

The way I had set it up earlier was having everything on one VLAN and blocking the DVR's access to the internet using firewall rules. I just wanted to see if I could get this set up temporarily with proper VLAN and firewall configurations until I got a new router so that my security camera DVR could be segregated from the main network, but have devices on my main network be able to see and communicate with the DVR, like a one-way street. Even though I have the DVR blocked from WAN access, I don't feel comfortable having everything on a single main network.

It would be nice to get this working, but I'm honestly not going to keep this setup as the device is already low on available memory before separate VLANs were introduced. I hope this basic networking bug isn't found on DD-WRT firmware of other routers.
Sponsor
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:39    Post subject: Re: TP Link WR841N V9 not able to ping devices on another VL Reply with quote
justpatel wrote:
I know that there is a problem with the WR841N router and trying to reach devices while connected on wired LAN on DD-WRT. I managed to solve this problem with the help found on this forum using the following startup script:

Code:
swconfig dev switch0 set reset 1
swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1

This enables VLAN on the switch0, but does not set VLANS on specific ports.

Try to configure LAN ports to your needs (example out of my notes, where portnumber could be space separated list of ports...) from the command line first, on failure you are able to go back by reboot

swconfig dev switch0 set vlan 2 set ports "portnumber&t"
swconfig dev switch0 set vlan 2 vid your_vlan_id
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Show your current switch config

swconfig dev switch0 show
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: