R8500 LED GPIO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 21:38    Post subject: R8500 LED GPIO Reply with quote
Did some testing and this is the list I use to turn off all LEDs except for power, WAN, and ethernet.

sleep 5
gpio enable 12
sleep 1
gpio enable 13
sleep 1
gpio enable 11
sleep 1
gpio disable 15
sleep 1
gpio enable 17
sleep 1
gpio enable 18
sleep 2

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
Sponsor
MikeMcr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't got an R8500 yet but was wondering if ALL LEDs can be turned off (or ALL except for power)?

There seems to be a list of R8500 GPIOs here:

https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/target/linux/bcm53xx/patches-4.4/306-ARM-BCM5301X-Add-DT-for-Netgear-R8500.patch
phoenix127
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 15:54    Post subject: More button and LED information Reply with quote
Using the above as a starting point, I have had a play - since the R8500 is just too much like a Christmas tree (idea for xmas script - to be explored).

Here's what I've found. Obviously we have to be careful when switching pins we don't know what they do as we could damage to things within the router.

To set a pins state use either gpio enable <pin> or gpio disable <pin>

GPIO 1 is the front left button marked LED
enable=off, disable=on

GPIO 2,3 are the power LED.
There are actually two LED's (red and white) that are controlled in the following combinations :
2=disable, 3=disable = Pink
2=disable, 3=enable = White
2=enable, 3=disable = Red
2=enable, 3=enable = Off

GPIO 9,8 are the Internet activity LED. (note reversed numbers to match colour states above)
There are actually two LED's (red and white) that are controlled in the following combinations :
9=disable, 8=disable = Pink with Internet activity
9=disable, 8=enable = White with Internet activity
9=enable, 8=disable = Red with Internet activity
9=enable, 8=enable = Off

GPIO 10 is the reset pin, it immediately resets the router and erases the NVRAM, so best to avoid that pin !
disable=reset, enable=don't reset (normal state)

GPIO 11 is the 5GHz-1 LED.
enable=off, disable=on

GPIO 12 is the 5GHz-2 LED.
enable=off, disable=on

GPIO 13 is the 2.4GHz LED.
enable=off, disable=on

GPIO 14 is the button marked WPS on the front
enable=on, disable=off

GPIO 15 is the blue LED's on the aerials
enable=on, disable=off

GPIO 18 is the USB1 LED
enable=off, disable=on

GPIO 17 is the USB2 LED
enable=off, disable=on

GPIO 20 is the button marked Wifi on the front
enable=off, disable=on

I have also found out which inputs relate to the three buttons on the front panel. You can sense these with gpio poll <pin>, then press the button to see the state change. In all cases, a pushed button results in a zero (ie pull-up with switch to 0V)

GPIO 4 is the front middle WPS Button

GPIO 5 is the front left LED button

GPIO 19 is the front right WiFi switch

My configuration to disable the un-necessary LED's is a leds.startup script in /jffs/etc/config so it fires on boot.

I've also requested this functionality be added to the build - see TRAC 5508 - http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/5508
mikeloeven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which ones are for the blue led's on the tips of the antennas I think you posted a typo because

gpio disable 15

had no effect on the antenna LED's and they remained on??

On closer observation after entering the command the lights on the antennas go out only to turn themselves back on a fraction of a second later happened so fast I only just noticed it Confused
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
mikeloeven wrote:
Which ones are for the blue led's on the tips of the antennas I think you posted a typo because

gpio disable 15

On closer observation after entering the command the lights on the antennas go out only to turn themselves back on a fraction of a second later happened so fast I only just noticed it Confused

Yeah, with previous builds that command would turn the antenna LEDs off for good, but with 30465M it just flashes them as you describe.
justin138
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
mikeloeven wrote:

gpio disable 15

Is there a fix for this? I'm on Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r44467 (09/24/20), but as mentioned above the lights simply turn back on shortly after issuing the commands (they seem to stay on and blink back off repeatedly at random intervals).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: