How to get two WAN IPs w/PPPoE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
half-fast
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 23:26    Post subject: How to get two WAN IPs w/PPPoE Reply with quote
Hello all. I'm hoping someone knows the answer my problem

I have an Asus rt-ac68u with the latest stable dd-wrt firmware for my router installed. Everything works well so far, except one thing.

With the Asus firmware, to get two public IPs I simply had to fill in my PPPoE info, and it would register a new IP for me.

I'm failing to do that with dd-wrt so far. I've found a few posts regarding this, but none have solved my issue.

Thanks in advance for a point in the right direction.

EDIT: I'm behind a modem/router that apparently has no bridge mode.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
The RT-AC68U wasn't supported in 2008, that I know about. Do you mean the latest public beta release?

New Build - 06/21/2021 - r46979

If your ISP modem/router has no bridge mode, then how did you get a public IP? Only way that will happen is if you do a bridge mode or IP pass-through or it's strictly a modem with no router whatsoever.

Dual WAN with PPPoE would require two ethernet ports available on both modem and router, at the very least; if not some sort of tagged vlan configuration. We probably need a little larger picture information....

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
half-fast
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
My apologies. Yes, latest public release.

It's true, I just plugged in my info and had two public IPs. It perhaps has some special feature hidden, but having ed ch support and read the manual on the modem(the best I could), there is no supported bridge mode, and both routers supported their own wifi w/internet access.

I apologize as I am at work now and cannot give a full update.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
DDWRT has a dual WAN PPPoE option but this is normally used when the modem is in Passthrough/Bridge mode to get one Public IP and one private IP address to get to the modem.

I have seen modems which would handout a public IP address automatically from LAN port 1 (and sometimes a different Public IP from LAN port 2)

To be sure we are all on the same page, define Public in Public IP address?

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: