Recommended build or options for VMware

LJH
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 18:25    Post subject: Recommended build or options for VMware Reply with quote
Hi Folks,

I've been experimenting with running x86 in VMware to replace my physical router.

I've tried a few of the modern builds but had issues with them, a v24 OVA has been stable but its very out of date.

I'm running it fairly basically to begin with until I can start load testing and finalise the amount of RAM to assign etc, but one of the biggest issues I've had so far is with the actual console screen through VMware. The 24 version seemed fine, but with the current builds the console is visible on first boot only. If I shutdown the VM to make changes, the console just shows Tux at the top left when I power it on which makes it difficult to troubleshoot during setup and find which NIC has actually connected to connect through SSH from another machine.

Once the WAN connection has been configured this can be more problematic as the connections may flip, the wrong interface could be on the wrong VLAN and if the console was visible this would be easy to troubleshoot, as it was with v24 but as it is, I have to keep detaching the disk, attaching to another vm, reimage, reattach etc.

I just wondered if anyone else had had similar issues,if there was a recommended virtual machine version number for compatibility (5.5, 6.7 etc), VM options and x86 build version.

Once stable and I'm happy with the performance, I'll be purchasing an activated version - I just feel like I must be missing something at the moment!
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been using virtualbox and not VMware, but Virtualbox does not seem to have problems.

the last best build for x86_64 has been:
05/17/2021 - r46690

but you could have looked through the build threads to determine that, because we all use different things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: