Asus RT-AC68U - web admin flakiness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
regexaurus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:27    Post subject: Asus RT-AC68U - web admin flakiness Reply with quote
I flashed an Asus RT-AC68U today. I started with r46974, the latest beta release for the router. Ever since, I've had trouble with access to the admin web interface. I was able to change the password successfully, and started making some other adjustments, but when I attempted to apply, I saw various can't-access messages, including "This site can’t be reached. The webpage at http://192.168.1.1/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
ERR_SOCKET_NOT_CONNECTED." Based on someone else's experience with the RT-AC68U, I decided to downgrade to r44772 and see if the problems clear up. Unfortunately, I'm still having the same trouble. If I'm very patient, I can eventually refresh the page and maybe manage to quickly change and apply a setting or two, before the problem recurs. A 30-30-30 reset made no difference. Any suggestions?

By the way, this is what I saw when I first attempted to post this.
Shocked
Sponsor
regexaurus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
This trouble seems to have eventually cleared up after managing to change a few settings (LAN IP address, SSIDs, wireless security, etc.). It's unclear/unknown which setting(s), if any in particular, affected this. I'm not sure if I dare upgrade to the latest release...
regexaurus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
All seems to be stable (r46974), even after upgrading to r46974. I've had no more trouble with access to the admin web interface. 🤞
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do not use Chrome or Chromium based browsers.
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Or access the webUI with the same browser as your internet surfing. Also, use private mode and no extensions loaded. Firefox ESR portable or Pale Moon portable work great; so does good ol' IE.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
regexaurus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
Do not use Chrome or Chromium based browsers.
OK!? 🤔 Yup, I'm a Chrome/Chromium-default user, like the majority of browser users world-wide.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
Or access the webUI with the same browser as your internet surfing. Also, use private mode and no extensions loaded. Firefox ESR portable or Pale Moon portable work great; so does good ol' IE.

So don't access the webUI with the same browser (session?) you use for everyday surfing, presumably because of XSS or CSRF vulnerabilities and the like... But go ahead and use IE. 😳 😲

Sure, using private/incognito mode with no extensions loaded makes some sense to me. This would help eliminate browser/extension conflicts as the trouble source. I should have thought of that.

I had also tried a recent version (89) of Firefox with the same results.

It seems the trouble actually was something with DD-WRT webUI, and some setting change apparently resolved it.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do NOT 30/30/30 reset RT-AC68U, or any ARM based router for that matter, and presumptions are wrong.

Pale Moon (52), Waterfox (Latest 78, Classic 56), Firefox ESR Portable (78), Firefox ESR Legacy (68/52/45)

https://cdn.waterfox.net/releases/win64/portable/WaterfoxPortable_2021.04.2_English.paf.exe (Classic 56)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
IE in InPrivate browsing mode works fine if you're using it strictly for webUI access and nothing else. The key part is the "strictly for webUI access and nothing else" here, regardless of browser...
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
pandorarobot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 19:45    Post subject: Re: Asus RT-AC68U - web admin flakiness Reply with quote
regexaurus wrote:
I flashed an Asus RT-AC68U today. I started with r46974, the latest beta release for the router. Ever since, I've had trouble with access to the admin web interface. I was able to change the password successfully, and started making some other adjustments, but when I attempted to apply, I saw various can't-access messages, including "This site can’t be reached. The webpage at http://192.168.1.1/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
ERR_SOCKET_NOT_CONNECTED." Based on someone else's experience with the RT-AC68U, I decided to downgrade to r44772 and see if the problems clear up. Unfortunately, I'm still having the same trouble. If I'm very patient, I can eventually refresh the page and maybe manage to quickly change and apply a setting or two, before the problem recurs. A 30-30-30 reset made no difference. Any suggestions?

By the way, this is what I saw when I first attempted to post this.
Shocked

The error you specified is related to your "system wide settings" using a network proxy. It could be as the result of tor, VPN, or some other network related software installation which modified your "system wide" environment settings.

I don't think going to Internet Explorer is a good idea but on Firefox you can choose a "No Proxy" option under your network settings and this should clear up your "ERR_SOCKET_NOT_CONNECTED" error.

To duplicate this error simply specify a manual network setting and specify a SOCKS: 127.0.0.1 Port: 9050 (same as tor) and if tor is not loaded you will receive this exact error.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: