Forwarding to a local site after connecting to wifi

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you connect the Machines with the web server to the wan port?

The IP addresses also have to be correct.

Router:

Wan IP: 192.168.2.1
Lan IP: 192.168.3.1

Web Server: 192.168.2.2
Sponsor
brittany123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dear Per Yngve Berg,

Sorry, I have never worked with WAN, but there is only one router and one laptop in use. It seems to me that you mean that I should connect one laptop running the web server to the WAN and another laptop running the software to the LAN (all in all two laptops). It that right? In that case I will try to get one more laptop. Otherwise would it be possible to connect the same laptop with two USB-LAN-adapter by LAN and WAN (I do not think so)? Thanks for your help.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know what other software you are running. Can't they all run from the WAN?
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Per Yngve Berge, OP is essentially trying to make an internal LAN server, and the router is only providing a WIFI AP.

@brittany123

All you need to do is setup up your server laptop and have it connected as a (LAN) client to your router, so is that setup? And if say you wanted to connect directly to it could type in its ipaddress of 192.168.1.2:4316/main (on whatever your tablet or phone or a different computer)? If you do, you have the majority of the solution (assuming that your server does not need internet access).

Disconnect everything from the WAN (there is no need to provide internet access) and when you want people to connect, just tell them to connect to your wireless AP and type in that address/port.
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just use a qrcode generator such as (no affiliation):
https://www.qrcode-monkey.com/

Create it, save it and print it out or have it display on your phone or tablet, then

And have people scan it and done!
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
All you need to do is setup up your server laptop and have it connected as a (LAN) client to your router, so is that setup? And if say you wanted to connect directly to it could type in its ipaddress of 192.168.1.2:4316/main (on whatever your tablet or phone or a different computer)? If you do, you have the majority of the solution (assuming that your server does not need internet access).

Disconnect everything from the WAN (there is no need to provide internet access) and when you want people to connect, just tell them to connect to your wireless AP and type in that address/port.

This will not work as wifi clients will access the server directly without passing through the router. Any iptables rules on the router will be bypassed.
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Wildlion wrote:

This will not work as wifi clients will access the server directly without passing through the router. Any iptables rules on the router will be bypassed.

Not sure what the point here is, unless you are saying that people are trying to connect to other addresses... There will be the arp packet, and the wifi clients (similar to wired) will determine that they are on the same network and directly connect MAC-to-MAC as you say, but the OP is not trying to be an ISP, and what I had posted ealier is incase someone tries to use dns, it uses dns to resolve all addresses back to the peer-to-peer, then similar with http. Iptables on the Ubuntu firewall will come into play but not on dd-wrt.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: