Reducing Electrosmog [SOLVED]

229rArh4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 17:00    Post subject: Reducing Electrosmog [SOLVED] Reply with quote
I'm looking for ways to reduce electrosmog (unnecessary electromagnetic frequency radiation) using dd-wrt. The JRS Eco Wifi Low Radiation Routers reduce beacon pulse frequency and enter a radiation-free stand-by mode when no wifi devices are connected. I found posts stating that DD-WRT can reduce the transfer (Tx) power, but is there any way to automatically enable stand-by mode when there are no connected devices? Is there any way to reduce the beacon pulse frequency? Are there any other settings in DD-WRT relevant to reducing EMF radiation?

Last edited by 229rArh4 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 21:30; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
It would be great if they had a user interface simulator or screenshots of their firmware so we could see if there was any who-do voodoo involved. Also, you should probably look at the wireless settings wikis. I just love random posts like this, because I don't know whether or not to send them to the spam hole because of linking another product or what. Going to leave it for now, but you have been given fair warning. Please refer to the forum rules and guidelines in my signature.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
With DDWRT you can fiddle with WiFi settings, until you break the functionality of it...
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
229rArh4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
It would be great if they had a user interface simulator or screenshots of their firmware so we could see if there was any who-do voodoo involved. Also, you should probably look at the wireless settings wikis. I just love random posts like this, because I don't know whether or not to send them to the spam hole because of linking another product or what. Going to leave it for now, but you have been given fair warning. Please refer to the forum rules and guidelines in my signature.

I read through the Forum Rules and Guidelines English. I also read through the Announcements and Stickies on the General Questions board, but I don't remember seeing any rules stating it's not allowed to post links to other products. I did see that it's not legal to use these forums for advertising, but that's not what I'm doing here.

I did read through the wiki before posting, but I checked it again after reading your post. I now see that you can adjust the beacon interval in the advanced wireless settings! I apologize for failing to find that earlier.

I still can't find anything about controlling power save mode settings in the wiki, and the only thing I could find in the forums was an old 2012 post stating, "DD-WRT doesn't correctly support WiFi power saving mode." (https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=723733). If anyone has info on controlling power-save mode through DD-WRT, I'd love to hear about it!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would have to check all the different hardware I have to see what is and isn't supported, but perhaps this one you overlooked:

Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Settings

Atheros devices (are supposed to) support automatic power save, but YMMV.

I just looked at the user manual for the linked product(s); it's a modified AsusWRT firmware. This person had better hope he went through all the proper channels, otherwise there's a huge lawsuit in the making since he is reselling the firmware... this is something this community and others frown upon.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: