Comment about the whole DD-WRT Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
MuzzleVelocity
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 21:49    Post subject: Re: Comment about the whole DD-WRT Project Reply with quote
AndrewL733 wrote:
I wasted a ton of time trying to use an unstable and unreliable product.

lol, dd-wrt is a "product"? don't worry, you can return it for double your money back.
Sponsor
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:55    Post subject: Re: Comment about the whole DD-WRT Project Reply with quote
MuzzleVelocity wrote:
lol, dd-wrt is a "product"? don't worry, you can return it for double your money back.

😂😂😂😂

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
mikesal57
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:38    Post subject: Try it , you might like it :) Reply with quote
10 years ago DD WRT was the ONLY way to go ....
It upped the performance and added additional functions that manufacturers never put on.....
Almost every router had a DD WRT firmware for it...

Now the future , very few models are supported...
We have a handful of recommendations ...but there are at least 3 years old...

But are these newer models that bad??

More powerful CPU's are used , less power is consumed , wiFi speeds are faster and go further...

I bought a TP Link A7...have you looked at the manual?
I never saw so many functions in a router ...
And the stock performance is better than DD WRT ..In my opinion

Finally, I believe the manufactures woke up and gave people what they wanted ..thx to DD WRT
ervau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hallo Mike,
nobody forces you to use DD-WRT. But keep in your mind that you only will "maybe" get updates for your original FW. From DD-WRT I allways get FW-updates for my old DIR-615 and DIR-825 that keeps my up to date.
ervau
mikesal57
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
ervau wrote:
Hallo Mike,
nobody forces you to use DD-WRT. But keep in your mind that you only will "maybe" get updates for your original FW. From DD-WRT I allways get FW-updates for my old DIR-615 and DIR-825 that keeps my up to date.
ervau

Not knocking it E....

I've used DD WRT on many routers...
Its just sad that manufacturers locked 3rd party guys out of it...
On your 825, How many times is the DD WRT firmware really changed?
Dont routers get to a point that theres no more stuff to change?

Mike
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
mikesal57 wrote:
Dont routers get to a point that theres no more stuff to change?

Yep and as was eloquently spoken in 1899 "Everything that can be Invented has been Invented"

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

ervau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
@mikesal57
Oxymoron!
On one hand you say "Dont routers get to a point that theres no more stuff to change?" and in you initial post you ask for more new features with every FW-update.
Me, I don't need new features but I like to get security-updates for my old stuff as long as possible. And that's what OEMs don't provide. Free FW does!
ervau
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
To be honest, at some performance stage...stock firmware may seem to be better...
BUT, it lacks of updates, features and security...
Very few top brands can deliver some decent stock firmware that gets support and has good balance of "working features"

Yep DDWRT is not ideal, as it is in constant beta, but has the capability to battle the stock firmwares, as well ability to deliver excellent performance and security...its all about its settings and customisation...
Where many people fail to understand, how the things work and how they are meant to be...as
there is always a compatibility battle among all those different NIC's, WiFi clients, as well different OS's...
The best bit of DDWRT is ...it gets updated, has many features and can be run on broad spectrum of routers, as well on PC...
So far in the last 3-5 years, new routers around do not deliver anything new than a pure marketing trick 'Go and Buy Me' ... So that explains why R7800 and R9000 are still the best units around...as the new XR700 and XR500 are re-boxed units running DumaOS...
As well WiFi 6 is pure 'shaity' fiction... Laughing 'Go and Buy Me'

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
mikesal57
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
To be honest, at some performance stage...stock firmware may seem to be better...
Very few top brands can deliver some decent stock firmware that gets support and has good balance of "working features"

Yep DDWRT is not ideal, as it is in constant beta, but has the capability to battle the stock firmwares, as well ability to deliver excellent performance and security...its all about its settings and customisation...
Where many people fail to understand, how the things work and how they are meant to be...as
there is always a compatibility battle among all those different NIC's, WiFi clients, as well different OS's...
The best bit of DDWRT is ...it gets updated, has many features and can be run on broad spectrum of routers, as well on PC...
So far in the last 3-5 years, new routers around do not deliver anything new than a pure marketing trick 'Go and Buy Me' ... So that explains why R7800 and R9000 are still the best units around...as the new XR700 and XR500 are re-boxed units running DumaOS...

Why I came back here to DD WRT was out of necessity...
I have FIOS , so the need for router was limited to theres. My wife had to move her office to another room..
The FIOS signal was poor and I had to do something..
I researched and found a way to use my own instead of FIOS router..I picked up a TP Link A7 from Amazon and a Netgear r7500V2 from EBAY , knowing both had DDWRT support...

I then tested both stock & DDWRT .....
I was astounded that both routers was better with stock firmware. The signal was stronger and steadier with stock.

I was kinda disappointed but , it is what it is...
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
mikesal57 wrote:
Alozaros wrote:

I have FIOS , so the need for router was limited to theres. My wife had to move her office to another room..
I researched and found a way to use my own instead of FIOS router..I picked up a TP Link A7 from Amazon and a Netgear r7500V2 from EBAY , knowing both had DDWRT support...

I was astounded that both routers was better with stock firmware. The signal was stronger and steadier with stock.

Just bite the bullet and get either a Linksys EA8500 or a Netgear R7800. You will get the performance you want/need. I just got a R7800 from Ebay for $74 and it is in mint condition. I am not planning to replace the EA8500 by any means, just wanted something new to play around with. Smile Actually I am planning to replace a Netgear R6250 WAP in my garage with it.

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r55779
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r55799

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port. DD-WRT r55779

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
mikesal57
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
lexridge wrote:
mikesal57 wrote:
Alozaros wrote:

Just bite the bullet and get either a Linksys EA8500 or a Netgear R7800. You will get the performance you want/need. I just got a R7800 from Ebay for $74 and it is in mint condition. I am not planning to replace the EA8500 by any means, just wanted something new to play around with. Smile Actually I am planning to replace a Netgear R6250 WAP in my garage with it.

LOL...I hear ya...

But why would you say its in mint condition?

Isn't it a set it and forget it somewhere in a corner Smile
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
mikesal57 wrote:

But why would you say its in mint condition?

Isn't it a set it and forget it somewhere in a corner Smile

Because it was shiny and like new. No scratches, stains or greasy fingerprints. lol Unusual for a used router. I was following another one with a seriously scratched up top from some idiot trying to remove a sticker without applying heat. It went for $60. The guts are the important part, of course, but cosmetics go a long way with me.

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r55779
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r55799

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port. DD-WRT r55779

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
85,75318% of the users here use a second hand routers...only 1.275% have a complains Laughing Laughing

Personally i don't have a single unit, that i got as a new Razz , more than 20, R7000 or R7800 trespassed my hands, both rock solid...sadly R7000 is not the best, as it was in the past...it was overtaken by R7800...
but still does a great job...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
tlhIngan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
AndrewL733 wrote:
If that's the best hardware to purchase to optimally run DD-WRT, people like me are in trouble.

Just what is your issue with a 5-year-old model? If it is new-in-box and has the hardware features you need, what does it matter that it has been sold for the past 5 years? Newer models aren't necessarily better, as some are designed to be weaklings from the factory.
And just a side-note, this may be the issue you have encountered with DD-WRT: you installed the LATEST VERSION for you device. The latest version is rarely the BEST VERSION, whether for functionality or stability. I have deployed DD-WRT on a number of devices, and the very first step is ALWAYS to find which version people are recommending, and it is ALMOST NEVER the latest one.

UPDATE #1: I just looked-up the instruction to install DDWRT on your Asus router: step 2 says to not blindly install the latest version and to research which version people use. So there you go.

UPDATE#2: See this thread --> https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=316686&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
People seem to recommend:
build 21061 (from 2013)
build 33555 (from 2017)
Just as another side note, how hold do you think your Windows 10 is? From 2015?

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
This type of topic pops up once and awhile. There are Pros and Cons. Everyone has different needs and because of that you get some that Love It and some that Hate It. No one is right it's all about the Pros out weighing the Cons to your decision making.

I not going to point out why I have a "Love It" for DD-WRT, it's based on my needs compared to other choices.

The Great thing is we have DD-WRT from BrianSlyer as a choice; PLUS this Great Forum that makes DD-WRT that much better than any other.

Long Live DD-WRT!!

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r54517 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: